Ceramic Metal halide

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by LucSTR, Jul 15, 2012.

1. is anyone using one of these? from the research i have done they seem to work amazingly well. they put off less heat and have a fuller spectrum.

2. Read the same thing. I think they require a certain type of ballast though which limits how many can use it.

3. it requires a hps non digital ballast. since the bulbs come in 250w or 400w, a 400w hps magnetic ballast is what i have read. i think i might just have to try it. this is the graph of CMH vs. HPS

[​IMG]

4. You should try it! The fuller the spectrum the better. Plants use all part of the spectrum in certain stages they use more of one type but still utilize others.

HPS/MH are great but they never were designed intentionally for growing. Being used for growing is just a side effect of them. There main use is street lamps.

I would bet the reason why more do not use it is most have digital ballasts.

5. well HPS and MH are now marketed for horticulture and hence why they cost more. CMH are not they were made as a retro fit to HPS street lamps to produce a more white than amber light but they ended up giving it a way fuller spectrum. i can see these taking off in the grow community.