Ceramic Bong Usage

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Typhlo, Jan 5, 2012.

1. #1 Typhlo, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2012
    So a while back in ceramics class (when I was in Ceramics 1 in high school) I made a bong-like vase. I of course did not make a downstem for obvious reasons. It vaguely looks like this.
    [​IMG]

Now, it's glazed on the inside and inside of it; however, it's not glazed on the spherical portion at the bottom. I was wondering if it was safe to inhale smoke from it while using it as a bong. If there are any safety concerns AT ALL, please tell me. By the way, I have NO access to clear coat and or glaze, so if it can't be used as a bong, it's a decoration. And to you ceramics makers, can it be drilled through? And if so is there a certain method? Thanks! :wave:

2. If I am not mistaken, it should be glazed all the way through to make it safe. I know it is true for clay, but are ceramic and clay different?

3. Yea, basically clay is ceramic. If it matters to anybody, it was gray clay. And the glaze has been fired.

4. You may wanna stay away then. Since clay is porous, particles from the clay can seep into the water and vice-versa.

Your best best is to check if it is non-toxic, I would think. I am not 100% on it.