Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Celiac and Gluten Free

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by PinkPrincess, Jan 16, 2009.

1. #1 PinkPrincess, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
    Hello fellow medicinal users :wave:

I was wondering if people knew of any mainstream products found in most grocery stores that are gluten free products...
    I know rice chex is gluten free but i am trying to make the transition easy on my boyfriend and i want him to feel like he is eating normal food.
    A life without bread isnt much of a life for him.

Any celiacs and gluten free eaters out there that know some foods that taste great that can be store bought with little preparation?

2. i think this is in the wrong forum...
    if there is a whole foods near you they have a lot of gluten free products

3. well i just figured the medical patients might know something about gluten free stuff so i posted here hoping for experience, but if this needs to be moved by all means do so mods.

4. Hi, I have Celiac also. Rizla rolling papers are GF. Many mainstream products are GF. Some will say it on the label, but most just have ingredients listed. Kraft and their subsidiaries (Oscar Meyer, etc.) lists any gluten by name if a product contains it. Most pasta sauces that I've seen are GF. Some brands of hot dogs contain gluten, but Boars Head are GF (and very good). Dr. Prager Sweet Potato Pancakes are also GF (not all their products are). Some supermarkets carry GF pastas, and the hands-down best ones I've found are made by Tinkyada. There are several GF beers, but the easiest one to find is Redbridge, made by Anheuser-Busch. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

5. Both my brother and sister have Celiac disease. ITs really hard for the family. My sistr has it really bad and she is sick a lot of the time, its horrible.

6. Sorry to hear about your sister. Is she on a strict gluten free diet?

7. Thank you!! i will have to check out these products.

from what i hear they use a parts per million ppm count on how much wheat is allowed in a product to be gluten free. 20 ppm is the max but it seems to me like hello should 0 be considered gluten free.... i dunno about you but when i see free i sure as hell dont think 20 no mater how miniscule cause apparently that affects people.

8. I've been diagnosed with Celiac for about 8 years now. Best thing is to eat a lot of whole foods that have a minimum of processing. Just had organic mashed potatoes with steak and gravy, green beans and mandarin oranges. The "hidden" fillers are the ones to look out for. They have gluten free Rice Chex I understand (although I haven't seen it in the stores near me.) The "regular" Rice Chex have malt added for flavor, which is from barley and has gluten. Little things like that that aren't obvious are the tricky ones.
    Watch out for "modified food starch" in anything like salad dressings, etc. It's usually some form of gluten to "thicken" the product. Contacting food companies is a good way to see if they have gluten free products, and their web sites are often good too. I hate to say it, but I rarely eat out. (OK, never.) Just too hard (although I hate a lot of other food allergies too.)
    I'm pretty lucky in that there is a health foods store near me that labels their shelves for gluten free products. Celiac.com and other sites are good tools too. Mostly I just try to eat as many non-processed, homemade foods as possible so I know what's in them.

9. This is a tricky one, my girlfriend helped me realized I was gluten intolerant (both of her sisters are) and I've been noticing modified starches everywhere. I had a grape soda a few weeks back and began feeling sick, checked the back after the fact and realized it had modified starch! Good to know there are other celiacs on GC though :smoke:

*yeah I know its an old thread I just searched for it rather than starting a new thread

10. A couple of my friends have celiac and we were talking about it the other day and they were telling me that there is some iPhone app for celiac and it tells you things that you can eat at all kinds of different restruants all tho I can't remember the name of it.

11. Yeah theres shit out there to help make eating out easier but it sucks having to constantly be looking on the back of everything.

12. theres always a risk of cross contamination. so i just make my own food from scratch and buy gluten free labeled products.

13. Coeliac disease is one of the most under-diagnosed,yet most common chronic diseases and,if left undiagnosed, may lead to the possibility of severe consequences such as bowel cancer and osteoporosis.It is genetic,meaning it runs in families.

14. I have had to self diagnose myself and started to eat gluten free. When I eat gluten I get the D. H. have horrible sores and get really lethargic and depressed and then can't remember a damn thing,  "like bills that are due the same time every month?."  When I almost passed out cleaning the house and was beet red and sweating profusely, I almost passed out and could not eat much for days. The list of symptoms I looked over on Mayo Clinic,  I think there were 12 and I had 11 of them at that specific time so I went in to the pantry and looked at all the food in the cabinet. I took out about half of the food out of the pantry and took it to my Sisters house. That was 2 years ago and I still do not have the strength or ability to remember a lot of things feels like alzheimers. would be nice to have others to talk to.

15. Get him to start eating REAL food!

FORGET about all the processed garbage.

Start making him meals that consist of high quality meat, with vegetables. For best results make most of these raw vegetables. If for dinner time or must be cooked do lightly steamed. Examples of high quality meat would be grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild caught salmon and so on. Eggs from free range chickens, fried in grass-fed butter - QUALITY saturated fats are critical for a man's (even women's) health. Hormone production will not be healthy or maintained properly without quality fats.

The best way to go gluten-free is to avoid processed food, stick to wholesome real food. Meat + veggies, chili, stew, fried eggs with raw greens, lots of green + vegetable salads, eating raw fruits and veggies for snacks between meals, raw nuts and seeds.

In my years of research and personal experiences into health matters, including living on regular diets, gluten free, vegan, raw vega, super carnivore meat eater, mediterranian and so on - I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the majority of the diet is comprised of the gluten-free variants that only remind him of the "REAL" versions it will be a bitter struggle.

But I'm sure you can help him find the balance! Eat lots of real, wholesome food and then once in a while you can always find these like gluten-free pizza crusts, gluten-free pasta, etc to enjoy those types of meals.

There's also a strong connection between heavy gluten consumption and candida (yeast) overgrowths in the GI tract. Among other things, candida will emit neurological signals outwards into our body, which our nerves pick up and carry to the brain, increasing our cravings for the foods THEY thrive on - refined sugars, starches/starchy carbohydrates (gluten) and other acid-producing foods. This has to be kept in mind for anyone who has a "sugar/sweets problem" or a gluten issue and decides to clean up their diet. Before long, there will be intense cravings as the candida overgrowth essentially screams out for the food it wants.

That's another reason to get away from processed food and refined sweets - you're constantly feeding candida and other potentialities like parasites.

16. I have celiac myself. There is a lot of great information over at celiac.com. 

I shop at Trader Joe's for most of my shopping, and they have a lot of great gluten free products. You'll also want to familiarize yourself with the natural foods sections of better grocery stores, and with stores such as Whole Foods. 

The easiest way to avoid cross contamination or "glutening" someone is to eat a diet based upon whole, unprocessed foods. The biggest danger is in prepared and processed food. Rice, corn, quinoa, and potatoes are still okay. You can adjust to being without bread (though there are some gluten free breads out there; they're just super expensive). After going gluten free, I learned to like a lot of great food which I'd never tried before, such as polenta and quinoa. Great stuff!