Celebrate Earth Day you lazy bastards!!!

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by chiefMOJOrisin, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Today, my friends, is Earth Day.

To me, Earth Day is more important than Thanksgiving, Easter, Memorial Day, Christmas, and any other material/economy driven 'holiday' combined. Specifically because no single human would be able to celebrate such holidays without the earth. We evolved from our mother Nature...we evolved the so called, 'intelligence' and free will. The free will to overlook the TRUE meanings of most holidays. In case you guys didn't know.... Christmas has nothing to do with a evergreen tree or Santa (consumerism in a character), and Easter has nothing to do with a bunny or eggs. I think there are better ways to symbolize the crucifiction and zombification of a man than a cute little bunny.

Every Earth Day since I was in grade school I have done the same thing..... 1) I plant at least one tree. Usually in my neighborhood. 2) I volunteer to clean local State Parks, or the banks of the Housatonic River (which is in my neighborhood as well). And 3) I try my best to get other people to understand the importance of Nature.....keeping it clean, understanding our link to it, and understanding why it is so important to do these things.

This morning I planted three Dogwood trees along the road inside my condo complex (If I'm gonna do it, might as well make my neighborhood look nice, right?), and one Japenese Maple. While I was digging the hole for the last plant, the condo association 'president' (in quotes because she is quite incompetent) came up to me and we had a little conversation about what and why I was doing what I was doing. To my suprise/delight, she was very interested and wanted to do her part also. So, we decided to set up a day next weekend where anyone living in the condo complex can come help 'beautify' the neighborhood. Here is a list of thing we are going to do...
    • We are going to clean yards/areas where the owners do not and start a compost pile.
    • Plant several different kinds of annuals around the main entrance sign, along the mailbox hut, and in tree beds that lie in common areas.
    • Start a new 'relax' area around my newly planted dogwoods and Jap. maple....including making beds around said trees, mulching, planting annuals and some perennials (hostas) around said trees, and installing a wooden bench between the beds.
    Hopefully more than just myself, the president, and my mother will join in. If not, the day will still be a great oppourtunity to enjoy, assist, and learn about nature.

One thing I have to say is this...... It is a mother fucking shame that the only time most people only even breifly think about nature is on Earth Day. And that is usually because they heard someone on the radio mention it or something. There are far too many people who take and take and take from the environment, and have no desire whatsoever to put anything back....beside garbage out a car window.

Its sad that we needed to designate a day every year to remind people that they need to respect nature. Nonetheless, it is better than having no day at all. At least the schools take it seriously. Many schools have a lot of interesting/important programs and events that get the kids involved in nature. I know for a fact that my 3rd grade Earth Day is a huge reason why I work to maintain the environment.

If, only for one day, 50% of the popluation pitched in to pick up the tons and tons and tons of trash that is sprinkled over practically every square inch of this country, or plant a tree, or even just tell someone else that the conservation of nature is quite important..... that would have a substantial effect. The problem is that there are so many fuckers who are so into their Red Bulls, Audis and god damn Kardashians that they do not realize the extent of damage being done to this planet. There are places on this earth where one single solitary drop of river water can, and will give you dengue fever or malaria from the vast amount of human shit.

Global warming is one thing...... showing utter disgregard for the planet that bore you is something entirely different. Just remember...the petrol you use for your Hummer that gets a 1/4 mile to 10 gallons came from the creatures we evolved from. We are all connected by nature. Every single thing that can be seen with a human eye came from nature. The materials to make the hi-tech computer operated cow milking machines came from the earth. Albeit they were discovered, understood and utilized by man.....the intelligence and capability to do so was perfected over millions of years of evolution. Even if something is entirely manufactured, all of it was bore from Mother Nature's womb..... earth.

'Who cares!?!? I'll be dead and gone before anything serious goes down." Statements like that can't be anymore wrong.....not to mention selfish and infantile. If you think that, I invite you to do a Google on the receeding Arctic Ocean. (Don't quote these stats...) From 1975-2003 or 4, something like 25% of the Arctic ocean melted and failed to refreeze. From 2003/4 through 2005/6, another 25% had melted. In other words, humans can fuck things up in a handful of years.

Dramatic climate changes have happened thousands of times before...and will continue to occur. However, those hot times and ice ages were caused by natural phenomenon such as cosmic impacts or vulcanism....not by Fords and hairspray.

I guess this is basically what I'm saying....... If you treat the earth like shit, you deserve the shit it gives back. If you do your part to keep nature, nature.....you will feel the collateral damage of others bullshit. I guess there is nothing you can do but help. At least your neighborhood, and piece of mind, will be clean.

Happy Earth Day fuckers!

-cmr-

2. Should every day not be Earth Day? Should we not take whatever steps we can to eliminate or shrink our footprint on this planet? I think so, however, let us run with random-comedic dross. :p

I will do nothing different today. I will continue to burn my tires, throw plastic bags at the wind, ignite gasoline to watch it burn, dump toxic waste into the nearest river I can find, run all my appliances 24/7, and uh... Do something else that is bad for the Environment! Oh... Wait.. I do not do any of those things. Keep the Earth safe everyone! And to mimic the OP, do indeed keep the Earth safe, you slovenly bunch of.. Uh... Well, he said it and not me... Fuckers!

On a serious note, congrats on the tree planting. :)

3. I think it's a shame more people don't do little things to take care of the planet. But at the same time, I'm just a lazy college student- I'm not going to go plant a tree right now or pick up all the garbage around my quad. It's great that some people do, but for now I'll just do my part by doing shit like not littering and trying to conserve energy.

4. meh, I'll celebrate it tomorrow.

5. today in front of stop and shop some lady told me to go green and i told her i been going green for about 3 years now cause i was extremly high then i realized what she was talking about lol but i am selling my jeep which i guess will help the environment but mostly its because i cant afford to gas it up anymore time to find a hybrid or some shit

6. Punctuation helps....

7. for Earth Day today my school had a little fair on the street near our bookstore...they had the worlds largest vegan sub sandwich (it was like party-sub style, but about as long as the street...and it was really good actually..i'd never eaten anything vegan before..only vegetarian)

anyway it was real cool..lot of people showed up and they were giving out free all-natural energy drinks and vegan food....plus it's nice as hell outside

happy Earth Day!

actually it's Earth Week at my school:D

8. Next week I'm gonna help clean up protected forest areas. Thats my contribution. I have done it every year since I can remember.

9. Celebrating earth day dosent sound bad. But what is bad is that i can't appreciate my damn earth. I was born into the US goverment which is gay. I would celebrate earth day by smoking weed, to honor such a plant that can come from the earth. TO bad our goverment labels a plant as harmful.

10. or you could by a 80 dollar kit to run your car on water. look online, its a pretty cool idea.

EDIT: doodie dont tell me you didnt smoke like a madman on 420?