CBS Responds To NORML E-Mail Campaign Demanding Network Pull White House Anti-Pot Ads

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by RMJL, Feb 1, 2004.

1. CBS Responds To NORML E-Mail Campaign Demanding Network Pull White House Anti-Pot Ads From Super Bowl Broadcast

January 29, 2004 - Washington, DC, USA

Washington, DC: The CBS Television Network released a prepared statement yesterday in response to charges by NORML that the network's decision to air public service announcements by the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) violates their policy against airing advertisements "on controversial issues of public importance."

NORML launched an e-mail campaign last week demanding CBS pull the taxpayer-sponsored anti-pot ads from Sunday's Super Bowl broadcast, stating: "Marijuana decriminalization currently enjoys 72% support among the American public, according to the latest CNN/Time polling data. Clearly this is a 'controversial issue of public importance' that divides American public opinion, and any public service announcement on the subject that promotes only one side of this issue must be considered an issue ad." To date, more than 4,500 e-mails have been sent to CBS through NORML's website urging the network to drop the federal anti-drug ads.

In response to NORML's campaign and increasing public criticism, CBS issued a press release yesterday stating: "Suggestions have also been made that we are violating our own policy by allowing the airing of messages that aim to curb drug abuse and smoking by minors. CBS is unaware of responsible groups that advocate drug abuse and smoking by minors, so it is hard to understand how these laudable efforts would constitute 'controversial issues.'"

Responding to CBS's statement, NORML Foundation Executive Director Allen St. Pierre reiterated, "The ONDCP's ads are inherently controversial and political. CBS should either pull these ads or change their policy."

St. Pierre also noted that that CBS accepts tens of millions of advertising dollars from the alcohol industry. "Beer remains one of the most widely abused drugs in the United States, yet CBS thinks nothing of airing advertisements encouraging audiences to consume alcohol."

Lastly, St. Pierre said that NORML does not advocate the use of marijuana or any other drug. "NORML and other drug law reform organizations discourage drug abuse while at the same time educating the public and lobbying elected officials about the failure of marijuana prohibition as a public policy. If CBS believes otherwise, then they are confused."

For more information, please contact either Allen St. Pierre or Paul Armentano of the NORML Foundation at (202) 483-5500. Information on NORML's e-mail campaign to CBS is available online at:
    http://capwiz.com/norml2/issues/alert/?alertid=4749626&type=ML

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5919

2. We'll probably still see the ads but at least they responded to our efforts. Normally, they just ignore us when we voice our opinions.

We got their attention. We got them to respond publically.

It's a great start.

:)

3. when does the superbowl kick off, and on what day?......i think i'll watch a bit........Peace out.......Sid

4. yea alright woohoo score one for the home team. now i wont be so angry during the superbowl. thanks for the update rmlj

5. We need to be at the superbowl. We could at least hold up signs in the view of the TV saying to legalise!!!!

Superbowl will start in 20 minutes...

6. one ad thats not to bad. i expected to see a hell of alot more ads then just one.

7. I was wondering if that was the only one!!!!!!

8. at like 8:10 (US eastern standard) on CNN they showed the MOVEON.com ad that was criticizing Bush. the one that CBS wouldnt show

9. god i hate viacom, and that mean's something since i usually claim not to believe in god or hate.

Grasscity Deals Near You