Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

CBD CBD Oil Using Full/Broad Spectrum Hemp Extract - Bulk

Discussion in 'CBD Oil' started by PsychedelicSam, Nov 29, 2018.

1. For the past couple of years I have been working with different families across the country to develop a CBD oil for treatment of pediatric seizures, ALS and other conditions in folks that don't or can't use THC products. Many of them are older and never used any cannabis before, others have random drug testing for work, some can't tolerate the psychoactivity and of course, THC is illegal still in a lot of places.

I have learned a lot during this process and am still learning but the thing that has impressed me the most are the almost miraculous real life effects that CBD can have given the right dosages and illnesses. I have heard all of those kinds of stories before but took them with a grain of skepticism but now I have first hand accounts from people that I know that have convinced me that this is not a false narrative.

I must state that I don't use CBD. I have tried using it and just never been that impressed for my own needs. I don't have any issues that it helps with. It does help with some pain for me at low doses but it prevents me from getting the psychoactivity that I require so it's pretty much dead in the water for me but I also must admit that I was pretty close minded about the subject. No longer.

Let me cut to the chase and I can fill in other background in the future if anyone is interested. I have been given the responsibility to turn 150g of broad spectrum hemp extract into a CBD oil with a strength of 60mg/ml, 1800mg/oz. This is the upper strength for many commercial oils and can run a couple of hundred bucks per ounce or more. This is not a commercial endeavor, though, and is for the use of the extended family, not sales. Doing the math, using concentrate like this equals about 2 cents per mg.

This is the second time we've done this. The first was using full spectrum which included THC but that has become difficult to get without going to the farm to pick it up. This time we're using broad spectrum which is actually a distillate with CBD, CBC and CBG and CBN but no THC and some terpenes. It's 84.9% cannabinoids and I'll be diluting that to the 60mg/ml level and adding 5% additional terpenes. And lab testing along the way.

With the price of CBD on the market and the large dosages needed for serious illnesses and pain it gets very expensive very fast, especially if there's more than one using it. It's now possible to buy wholesale hemp extract and make your own and you know what's in it and can make it as strong as you want. I want to show how to do that if anyone is interested. I have dosing and mixing guidelines and calculators that I'll include. I'm going to be doing it anyway and given my predilection for sharing my cannabis research, I thought I might share it here.

Here's the starting source, the distillate.

CBD.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. This will take a few days to get set up and get all the details worked out along with additional lab tests to verify the numbers. There will be some math involved but the main dilution calculation for the transition is an online scientific calculator and it works well and the values have been verified by lab testing.

You'll find that I do a lot of lab testing. I like to be sure of what I'm doing especially when it comes to doing it for people with serious illness and who have devoted so much hope in this treatment. I'm not going to mess it up so I get fairly OCD about it. There's no monetary incentive for me but the personal drive to help that propels me.

This isn't about me, though. I wanted to show you the material we'll be using for this. It's a broad spectrum distillate instead of a direct extract from the hemp, full spectrum containing some THC. The full spectrum is much like RSO. In fact, it is hemp RSO. This distillate is a different animal and has some interesting properties.

Here's the stuff. You can see that it's pretty thick and amber. I chuckled at the "professional" packaging but at least they noted the tare weight of the jar with the lid which is 198.38g. The total weight of the jar was 339g and we'll round off the tare to 198 and subtract leaving a total of 146g of distillate. There is 4g in the syringe that is for preliminary experiments and I've already used 5g, bringing the total to 155g instead of 150 but that isn't always the case. I can't stress enough about verifying your weight when purchasing in bulk.

distillate.jpg
    You can see here one of the differences between CBD distillate and extract. Those "particles" that you see embedded in there aren't air bubbles as one might suspect in such a viscous substance, like honey that was shaken maybe. Those are crystals, much like the crystals in CBD isolate. Air bubbles would eventually work to the top but these don't move and increase in cooler conditions. I'll have more on the crystallization later.

It's been awhile since I've started a new substantial thread with bells and whistles and maybe new concepts but I have experience, I guess you could say and hopefully it will be like riding a bike. I'm not sure this old man needs to be riding any bikes at my age but what do I know?

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. #3 Joker1121, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    P'Sam, can you explain to a lay person the difference in a full spectrum oil, and oil made with CBD isolate?
    https://www.thecbdistillery.com/cbd-shop/- as a cost comparison 1000 mg Full Spectrum oil/30 ml is $60, while the isolate is 30$/gram.
    Rereading your post it seems that maybe it's a addition of the other cannabinoids....I can't quite wrap my head around it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. "Full spectrum" includes all the cannabinoids including THC but not necessarily terpenes. "Broad Spectrum" has no THC but does have the other major cannabinoids, CBD, CBC, CBG and maybe CBN. Both of these are distillates but the broad is more refined.

"Full spectrum" is not the same as old fashioned RSO. It doesn't have the other plant compounds. I said "old fashioned rso" because nowadays dispensary rso is a distillate, too. "FECO" has become synonymous with the old school rso. "Full extract cannabis oil" is the term to describe the extraction and use of the full plant compounds now.

The isolate is just that and nothing more. The jury is still out on how much of a difference the full or broad spectrum makes over the isolate. The isolate seems better suited for making THC/CBD blends since you can easily calculate a ratio and just add it without jumping through hoops.

It's still a rapidly progressing field and things are changing all the time like terminology, technology and public opinion and it takes some effort to stay on top of it. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The CBD market has been completely turned on its head over the last 3 years since hemp has been legalized in many states. Prior to that high-CBD products depended on high-CBD cannabis flowers, starting with Charlotte's Web and others.

About 3 years ago I was working with someone who was wanting to use high-CBD therapy for his patients. That was a big trend back then and I guess it still is. This was for "new age" therapy and not necessarily the major things it was used for like epilepsy. The research on its effects for anxiety, PTSD and other mental health issues was still in it's infancy.

He was growing high-CBD strains organically and was doing a great job of it but processing that all into a usable product was a heck of a lot of work. High-CBD flowers don't produce a lot compared to high-THC strains as far as resin is concerned for processing which is why it's was so hard to find a high-CBD concentrate.Just as we were doing this, hemp came roaring in and changed everything. The one thing that it changed that affected my friend the most was the financial aspects. It was expensive growing high quality organic crops and when the hemp processing started gearing up, it caused the bottom to fall out of the high-CBD cannabis market. It threw a monkey wrench in my friend's plan but at least now he doesn't have the expense of growing anymore.

Over the last couple of years hemp CBD products have taken over that market. Farmers can grow whole fields of flowered hemp, seeded hemp or fiber hemp. New technology has facilitated the extraction of all the cannabinoids and other compounds into pure distillates that have already been activated for optimal use. This makes CBD products available to everyone and not just those with specialized needs.

In the last couple of years I've seen quite a few changes with the biggest being the availability of it. The source companies have made it very easy now with bulk purchasing of "white label" CBD oil. The company does all the processing and bottling for third party branding so that anyone can start offering it. Large companies or small, mom and pop convenience chains, doctors, therapists, GrassCity, PsychedelicSam or Santa Claus can all have their own branded CBD oil. It's all made by the same few companies but the cost is much lower. It puts a bottle of 600mg at around $20 and they'll make whatever strength you want.

However, if you want to make your own formulations like we're doing here, the distillate concentrate is the way to go for quantity. I'm one that always prefers to make my own no matter what it is. I don't go to restaurants much because I feel I can cook anything better (I was a horrible date) and this is the same. For now this is the course the market is following but who knows how long this will last before something new comes along and makes the oil obsolete.

When I first started with all this I knew nothing about it. I was a THC kind of guy so I started from zero in my knowledge about it. A little girl had seizures and we struggled to find high-CBD concentrates and in fact, the only place we found some was in Washington State, not even Colorado. We didn't want standard CBD oil offered at the time because it wasn't enough of a dosage. Not long after, the wholesale market started to open up but at first the product was more like a rso, a whole plant extraction.

I've watched the changes and it has been very educational to see. We've gone from the cannabis phase to the hemp phase with distillation being the current trend. For now this processing I'm about to do is the standard for the market but who knows for how long. There is already new technology that's going to leave this in the dust once it's perfected and it's not going to be long.

Keep your eyes open for the water based CBD, and THC, products that are coming on the market. It will revolutionize the field for ingestibles. There are other technologies getting involved as well. We just got a CBD pharmaceutical drug and that's going to open the flood gates. Soon we'll be buying a bottle of 120 next to the Advil.

The pharmaceutical offering has also changed the nomenclature of the over the counter CBD market. I will go into that as we get into determining the final strength of the oil. This post and the one on nomenclature are just background info meant to create awareness and discussion and doesn't impact the process. Sorry if I've bored you but I wanted to get some product background into it. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 6 years ago. I had surgery and chemo, which was the introduction of live tuberculosis virus in my bladder for 5 weeks. Afterward, I had cysto exams every 3 months & after a year, the cancer returned. I had another bladder surgery & another 5 weeks of chemo. I was receiving my treatment from the VA hospital in Johnson City, Tennessee.

After my 2nd treatment, a good friend of mine that lives in California told me about the CBD oil. I have smoked bud since 1974 & he was already supplying me w/good bud & Alpine vape pen juice so, I decided to take him up on his offer to supply me w/CBD oil.

I'm 70% disabled after my 22 years of military service & part of my disability is Adult Onset Epilepsy due to head trauma, the rest is nerve damage in my right arm & neck. My friend told me that CBD is helping people with seizures & cancer. I was taking Tegretol for the seizures & after my liver showed signs of wear, my seizure med was changed to Keppra. What I found out was that anti-seizure meds are notorious for failure. I had to be seizure free for 1 year or I could not legally drive. I decided to try the CBD & really did not expect anything positive for either of my ailments.

I started the CBD oil treatment 5 years ago; after my 2nd round of surgery/chemo for bladder cancer.

I got my drivers license back 2 years after starting the CBD treatment & I've been cancer free for 5 years.

The VA has a policy of cutting off vets that admit to CBD treatement. So, I play the game & make my appointments. Other than that, I give up nothing. I don't know anything other than the results.

Looks like all that covert op training I had has real life applications.

It's a crazy world.

• Like Like x 5
  7. That sounds like great results, smokymtn. I was on the fence about CBD and it's possibilities even hearing stories like yours until I started working with it and now personally have seen it work almost miraculously. It's been my experience, though, that higher dosages are the key to these serious issues. This is why I'm making 60mg/ml.

What dosages were you using at the time and was it CBD only or a THC/CBD blend? Do you still use it to maintain and if so, how much? I have a friend with pancreatic cancer and I've tried to get her to consistently use what I've given her but I have a hard time getting her to keep at it. She was doing chemo for a while and it was definitely taking the bite out of it, enough so that all the doctors and nurses were commenting on it but the chemo had to be stopped and she became lackadaisical in her usage. I'm hoping to get her back on it. :mellow:

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Sam, I am definitely following your research on this one. A friend has started asking me about making CBD products, and now that I am facing a possible cancer diagnosis myself, I am looking into everything possible that will not leave me too affected to be ale to work safely.

9. Then I'd better get my butt in gear and start posting more to it. I have been a little slow this week. I have sources for the extract that I intend to list for anyone who may think about doing this. There are a lot of ways to use this and I've just been able to determine that it can be used for vape pens, too. So there's a lot to report. I'll get busy on it. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. broad spec 10x B.jpg
    The first order of business is to determine the dilution factors. We're wanting to take the distillate in grams transforming it into oil measured by volume...mg/gm to mg/ml. The online calculator that I use revolves around volume so I needed to find a volume of dilution for the distillate that would give me a known strength from which I could make an accurate calculation for my final product. This is the calculator:

dilution calculator.jpg
    This first step is determining the "stock concentration" which is the base that you're using in mg/ml. Because it would be a heck of a lot of trouble to translate the mg/g concentration of the distillate to mg/ml, I wanted to dilute it with enough mct oil to give me a stock concentration high enough to allow for further dilution. This step gives me the mg/ml that I want along with enough volume for the next step

I could have used a simple gram to ml sampling since the math would be the same but I needed a decent sized sample for the actual process. The use of this calculator will be discussed a little later but I wanted you to see the reason for this step which is for ease and accuracy.

I knew from initial testing of the distillate seen in a post above that I had 84.9% cannabinoids or 849mg/g and I'll round those off to 85%/850mg/g for ease. 79.6% or 796mg/ml is the CBD content. Since I was looking for ease of use I decided that I would make a 10X ratio, thinking that would give me a 10% solution. If the testing for it proved my thinking then I would have my confirmed ratio for the batch.

I weighed out 5g of the distillate. I then measured out 50ml of mct oil. This is the 10X dilution to create your stock concentration for this batch. If I had wanted a higher end dosage then I would have used a different ratio, maybe 8X etc. I placed it on my heated magnetic stirrer and let it blend at 150°-180°F for 30 minutes to ensure a consistent blend since the distillate is extremely thick.

In the image above the 10X oil is in the small bottle in the forefront and in the pipette braced in the dish. It is just the oil with no terpenes or lecithin added. Those will be added when we make the final dilution and will be calculated with total volume. I sent a sample to the lab.

I got a bit of a shock with the initial lab results. The numbers were impossible for the sample I sent. I knew there was a mistake with that but the thing that really surprised me was the image of the sample. I contacted the lab and they retested and found the error and corrected it. However, the image was correct and I learned a little something about CBD that few people know. More on that later.

I had originally been hoping for about 85mg/ml total cannabinoids if the 10X truly was a 10% solution and then I wouldn't have to do more testing to determine the ratio I needed. I was a little nervous after the first report but I didn't need to be. I really couldn't have been more pleased. The sample tested at 84.7mg/ml with 81.9 of that being CBD. This is right in the range I wanted allowing for sampling interpretation.

Hemp broad spec 10x.jpg
    I now know that if I take 100g of the distillate and add 500ml of mct oil then I'll have about 85mg/ml of stock concentration without having to test it. The next test will be the final product and it will be very close to our goal. It may be a few mg over or under but it will be a negligible difference. Of course, I'll be reserving some distillate to use to make up the difference if I'm wrong.

Look at the image. It's pink!. I saw that and immediately thought they had mixed samples. The picture above shows a nearly colorless solution in the pipette and the distillate is a deep amber. When I mentioned it to the lab they told me that CBD isolate/distillate products turn pink. It has something to do with the natural color of CBD and exposure. THC is definitely amber. It's not going to turn pink in volume, though.

And finally, the vape pen shown in the picture is my first experiment with that and it works well. I diluted the distillate with a few drops of limonene and myrcene the thin it and it puffs pretty good. More on that at a future date. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 3
  11. Awesome. I was definitely going to ask for a source for the extract.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I want to provide some sourcing information before this goes too far. First, though, let me explain that this market has changed dramatically in the two years I've been engaged in it and the technology has caused rapid advancement. Each of the companies I'm going to link offered an extract that was a lot like rso and it contained some THC. If you lived in a legal state that made no difference but the THC in the concentrate was way over 0.39%, closer to 3%. At first things were loose but as CBD caught on, the Feds started noticing.

The technology changed so that distillates and isolates became the way to go and now there's even newer stuff. This hemp market has only been around a couple of years so it's a learn as you go experience.

The investment started around $2K for 100 grams for the full spectrum extract but I think the distillate is a little more. We got 150g of the distillate but I didn't ask about the cost for this one. Some of the company info indicates minimum kilo orders but once you open an account you can get smaller "sample" amounts. They may not take credit cards.

This is the first company I had experience with and they offer a lot. This link is for the extract oil which is similar to what I'm using now as far as composition. This one isn't a distillate but they have them. Look through the whole site, maybe order a catalog. Just absorb it for information. 85%+ Pure Full Spectrum Hemp Oil

This one is the one my first consult switched to and the one we're using now for the current project. Again look it over and explore it. I'll try to answer anything that I can. https://www.globalcannabinoids.io/pure-hemp-oils

Each of these sources also offer terpenes and other cannabinoid isolates you don't see at the dispensaries and that includes CBN. Yes, you can get CBN isolate as well as CBG, CBCand others so that you can customize your own THC-free or THC/CBD blend with the other cannabinoids in a custom blend for specific needs.

Have fun exploring. santa.gif

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. This is the product that we're using for this project. As you can see by the date, it's a fairly new product. I'm also getting a post ready using the initial sample shown above as an example illustrating the actual calculation for the final product.
    noel.gif

GlobalCannabinoids.io Announces the Launch of its Broad Spectrum ZERO THC Hemp CBD Oil Distillate and Full Spectrum "Crystal Resistant" CBD Oil for Vape Cartridges

DENVER, CO, October 10, 2018 /24-7PressRelease/ -- After several years of Research and Development, GlobalCannabinoids.io is pleased to announce the bulk and wholesale production and launch of its unique high CBD broad spectrum distillate oils which contain no traceable amounts of Delta 9 THC and is derived from Colorado registered industrial hemp. These unique broad spectrum hemp oils contain, CBD, CBG, CBN, CBC, CBDV and are created through a distillation process that removes not only THC, but all destabilizing impurities including waxes, fatty acids, and chlorophyll. This product is sold by the kilogram and is available immediately for delivery to companies in the nutraceutical, vape, cosmetic, pharmaceutical, personal care, and medical marijuana industries who demand a product of the highest efficacy with no traceable amounts of THC.

As CBD vape grows in massive popularity, demand for high quality CBD vape products is exploding. One of the challenges with formulating CBD vape products is to create effective dosages while preventing crystallization of the cannabidiol (CBD) molecule within the vape cartridge or chamber. Because CBD distillate normally contains a concentrated amount of THC, formulators of these products normally use CBD isolate to ensure the absence of THC as well as a precise dose. Isolate based CBD vape cartridge formulas, however, often separate and will then crystallize once destabilized. By using our new "crystal resistant" broad spectrum and full spectrum CBD distillate, manufacturers and formulators of CBD vape products can now, for the very first time, fill vape cartridges with a distillate oil that is of the same high quality, viscosity, purity, and potency as seen on the medical marijuana side of the cannabis industry.

Global Cannabinoids is excited to offer its bulk and wholesale customers these unique products at the most competitive pricing, and views their role as more of a partner to customers versus a supplier. The management team at Global works closely with these customers to create new and innovative products for them to enter the global cannabis industry well positioned for sales and success.

About GlobalCannabinoids.io

GlobalCannabinoids.io is the largest bulk and wholesale B2B online distribution platform for American grown hemp derived cannabinoid products in the world. GlobalCannabinoids.io has a database of over 40,000 customers and continues to experience massive growth. Global Cannabinoids customers include the leading medical marijuana brands, nutraceutical companies, veterinary industry, personal care, skin care companies, as well as fortune 500 companies who are using CBD, CBG, CBN, CBC, and other hemp derived cannabinoids in various product formulations and research and development.

SEE FULL PRESS RELEASE HERE: https://www.24-7pressrelease.com/press-release/457305/globalcannabinoidsio-announces-the-launch-of-its-broad-spectrum-zero-thc-hemp-cbd-oil-distillate-and-full-spectrum-crystal-resistant-cbd-oil-for-vape-cartridges

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To place an order for Bulk & Wholesale "Zero THC" Broad Spectrum Distillate Oil or "Crystal Resistant" Broad Spectrum Oil for Vape Carts, please contact your assigned sales representative or email us at: Sales@globalcannabinoids.io

• Like Like x 3
  14. They sound great...but....I'm a bit confused...so in order to buy something from them...you have to be a business??

15. Yes, you have to have a tax ID # since it's a wholesale operation but I don't know a lot about that. Each person I've worked with has a business although the first one created a simple LLC, I think. It doesn't have to have anything to do with cannabis/hemp. I probably should have put this thread in the Business and Industry subforum.

I bet we see big changes to this market in the coming year since they've passed the farm bill which legalizes hemp federally. Probably in a couple of months this thread will be obsolete because of it. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. OK..good to know...maybe they will open it up to the general public...??? You are right about the market expanding now that they have Passed the 2018 Farm Bill....there's gonna be an explosion of folks buying CBD Hemp products....Keep Posting your findings...they are always so Informative...Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge...!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I'm waiting on supplies to arrive so that I can do the actual formulating instead of just talking about it. So when a friend accepted an offer of some for a sick friend, I decided that it would also be a good opportunity to show the calculations on a small level so it will be familiar when the larger quantities come around.

sample with lecithin.jpg
    I used the 5g sample that I had already blended with mct oil to reach a CBD level of 79.6mg/ml which I'm going to round off to 80% for our purposes. Since I don't have precise scientific measuring equipment it would be difficult to get things exact. The lab results are posted above.

Our choice of calculation will be different with this one than the large batch because be already know how our final volume after dilution which is 30ml. In this one we want to know how much of our concentrated stock @ 80mg/ml we'll need to use to get a final volume of 30ml @ 60mg/ml. In the large batch we'll be using the calculator to determine how much mct, terpenes and lecithin to add to reach 60mg/ml from 80mg/ml

I posted the blank calculator earlier in the thread and at this time I'm going to show you how it's used. If you want to try some calculations of your own you can find it here: Dilution Calculator - Mass per Volume - PhysiologyWeb

dilution calc 2.jpg
    In the blank calculator the units for concentration are grams per ml and you can see there are a variety of choices there. In our case we are dealing in milligrams per ml so we need to be sure to change the tab appropriately for each concentration level as shown above.

dilution calc 3.jpg
    Now we enter the three fields for which we have values. We know that our stock concentration is 80mg/ml but we don't know how much of it we will need to make our goal of 30ml and that field is left blank and will be filled when we calculate. We also know that we want 30ml of our final concentration of 60mg/ml.

dilution calc 4.jpg
    Tap the "Calculate" button and the amount of our stock concentration will be displayed. It is also stated in text in the comment window below it. In this case it says that we need 22.5ml of our concentration to make our 30ml of oil. 7.5ml is all that's needed to reach our goal but it's a little more complex than that, especially since we're adding terpenes and lecithin for an enhanced product. Those take up volume, too, so allowances must be made to get the correct dilution.

Unfortunately, there's not an online calculator for this specifically but a simple general calculator works just fine. Our goal is to add a 5% solution of a terpene blend and a 1/16 ratio of liquid lecithin, 6.25%. I'm using a ratio of 1 tablespoon to a cup of oil which is 1:16 lecithin/oil. The math for these is 1.5ml of terpenes and 1.875ml of lecithin for a total of 3.375 in additives. We'll subtract this from the total additional volume needed, 7.5ml, to get the amount of additional mct oil is needed, 4.125ml. Because I'm dealing in just a small sample and don't have the accurate equipment, I'm rounding off the lecithin to 2ml and will reduce the mct to an even 4ml.

Most CBD oil you find will have few if any terpenes and even the full and broad spectrum products only have a small amount similar to the natural environment which is measured in micrograms instead of milligrams, a hundred times less in volume which is enough for natural occurrences. However, terpenes have proven to have benefits of their own in higher concentrations as well as increased synergistic blending with cannabinoids so I like to up the tally.

For the large batch coming up I'll be making day and night blends using different terpenes with different influences. I like an uplifting blend for day, like a Sativa, and a relaxing one for the evening. For those who take a dose at night, high CBD can be a challenge. It can act as a light stimulant that can affect sleep and keep you awake. Adding some terpenes that help with relaxation can make a big difference. There are many terpenes that are more of a sleep aid than CBN.

With this small bottle I used a general purpose blend that can be used day or night to equal affect. I used a blend of 7 terpenes which included both uplifting and relaxing effects in a ratio I deemed appropriate from personal research. Since this is a small volume, measurement is a little hit and miss because I have to use drops instead of ml and my hands shake. True Terpenes tells me that there are 36 drops in 1ml and since I needed 1.5ml, that worked out to 54 total drops of terpenes. I can provide the blend if anyone is interested.

Now that the set-up is out of the way the rest of this will go quickly. I counted the drops of the various terpenes as I put them in a small beaker that contained 22.5ml of my stock concentration of 80mg/ml. I used my heated magnetic stirrer for this and set the beaker on the surface after inserting the magnetic rod. I set the heat on low and set the magnetic rod for a slow rotation and let it heat to blend before adding the lecithin.

This is the first time I've used liquid lecithin and didn't realize it was so thick, like molasses. It still takes as long and as much heat to get it to blend in as powder or granules but it can be measured in ml. I let it heat at 180° for a half hour and this is a part I'll change next time maybe. 180°F is the upper range for the terpenes and I was uncomfortable getting it that high for that long so next time I will blend the lecithin and oil first before adding the final volume of terpenes.

Anyway, that was the last step. I left it in the beaker for a while to let it cool and ensure the lecithin didn't precipitate out before bottling it up. I'll be gifting it to my friend in a few days and I hope to hear good things about it. bananoel.gif

• Like Like x 2
  18. I always thought only CBN would give that SLEEPY effect...But you mentioned that there are terpenes that also would work...I want to work with them...but they still confuse me...Would you be able to provide the blend that you mentioned....

19. Actually, that's a common misconception. CBN will certainly do it but most of the time it has help from the terpenes. Indicas were known to be "couchlock" or sedative but no one really knew why. They had more CBD generally but about the same CBN. It turns out that it's the terpenes. Same goes for the Sativas the uplifting energy is mainly terpenes. Indicas are now classified as "Indica" when it has over 0.5% myrcene and if not, it's Sativa.

There are a couple of hundred terpenes in cannabis so it's difficult to get into them all. The lab that I use identifies the 20 most prevalent and I researched those to find out more about them. I put together a spreadsheet to break it down and here are the thumbnails of it. It was too long for one image so I used three and no frills. (select to expand). Look them over and you'll see several sedative and anti-insomnia entries in there as well as some other interesting things.

Terpenes1.jpg Terpenes2.jpg Terpenes3.jpg
    I'm currently using 8 isolated terpenes in the blends and the lineup is different in each one.
    • Alpha-pinene
    • Beta-caryophyllene
    • Limonene
    • Myrcene
    • Linalool
    • Citral
    • Humulene
    • Terpinolene
    While some of them have a specific direction they lean, others can display opposing effects depending on the ratio in synergy with other specific terpenes and cannbinoids. The three main ones for sedative action are myrcene, limonene, linalool and terpinolene. Alpha-pinene, citral, and humulene are uplifting/energetic yet many of each category are present in the other. The ratios are often the key.

Not all of these terpenes are good for everything. You should avoid linalool at all costs if you are preparing this for children with seizures. It will intensify them instead of relieving. Not a good thing. Terpinolene has great sedative power but is derived from turpentine and tastes like it. More than a couple of drops will make it nauseous.

Here's a little better summary about terpenes. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

How Do I Use Terpenes In My Products?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. PSam...thank you so much...this really helps...it seems that folks forget the importance of Terpenes and only look at the Cannabinoids...I know that's what I've been doing...

• Like Like x 2