Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

CBD Topicals CBD bathbombs and lethecin

Discussion in 'CBD Oil' started by Brio33, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Hey, I make and sell my own CBD bath bombs and was wondering if adding in lethecin would aid in the emulsification of CBD isolate into the water when the bath bomb reacts. I already use polysorbate 80 to make sure the oils and colourants are dispersed throughout the water and dont just rest on the top of the water or stick to the side of the tub. Would adding lethecin further aide in the emulsification or does this only work internally (i.e. when you take a capsule or dropper)?

Furthermore, what is the general thoughts on using CBD in bath bombs? Is it just a waste of good CBD? I put 100mg in small bombs and 200 mg in large ones as I find a lot of the bombs sold online have minuscule amounts of CBD that I cant see doing anything other than a placebo effect and possible effects from essential oils. However, if I drop a big bomb in the tub, my whole body feels tingly and like rubber for the next few hours. Makes for an amazing sleep as well. I would love to hear the communities thoughts on this and if anyone has tips or recipes on making them that would be appreciated as well.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Glad to hear that that amount seems to do the trick.
    I definitely can not answer you question, but @BrassNwood may have an idea or know someone that does.
    Likely @Galaxy420 may also.
    Good luck, I too am awaiting responses.

:smoke:

3. Yeah, BNW is the man to talk to when it comes to emulsification, his caps recipe still blows me away.

Oh I guess I should put down the recipe I use for my bathbombs. Found it off a site called Sisterhood of Soap and it goes as follows:

Ingredients
    • Baking Soda – 2 cups
    • Citric Acid – 1 cup
    • Rubbing Alcohol – 3 tbsps (although since Covid-19 may have to replace this with witch hazel as all the isopropyl alcohol is being made into hand sanitizer at the moment)
    • Infused Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp (I dole out the amount of isolate to make either 100 or 200 mg per bomb)
    • Essential Oil or Fragrance Oil of your choice – 2 ml (I use a pipette to measure fragrance so it isn’t wasted, recently started using 4 ml as I have started buying EOs in bulk)
    • Bath bomb colourant (depends on the colourant you use as to how much you need please check with the manufacturer)
    • Polysorbate 80 – 4 ml (very important to disperse all colours and oils throughout the water)
    • Bath bomb mold – With this recipe you will only need 1 as you can use it over and over
    • Nitrile gloves (or latex if you aren’t allergic)

Directions
    1. Mix dry ingredients – (Baking soda, Citric acid and if you use a powdered colorant) I use my hands to mix the ingredients together although you can use a whisk or blender. You want them thoroughly blended. Therefore it is important to use a strainer to break up bigger pieces into easier blended powder (baking soda especially likes to clump up).
    2. Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. (Rubbing Alcohol, Essential or Fragrance oil, Coconut oil, Polysorbate 80, and if you use a liquid colorant that too) mix thoroughly.
    3. Mix wet ingredients into dry. Most recipes say you have to do this step slowly or your dry ingredients will start to prematurely react. However, I find this only happens with recipes that use a bit of water. With a 91% or higher rubbing alcohol you can mix it in quickly with little to no reaction. Finally, make sure it is mixed thoroughly you want to be able to just fill bath bombs after this step and not have to adjust the recipe as you go. The consistency should be like slightly damp sand and if it clumps up and then can survive you dropping it without breaking into pieces, it is the right consistency for molding.
    4. Fill the mold. take a half of the mold and scoop the mixture into it. DO NOT TIGHTLY PACK. you want one half to be heaped over the top the other just filled to the rim. when you push the two halves together you will be compacting the mixture plenty. By not packing before pushing the two halves together you get a more universal compactness and a lighter more buoyant (it floats) bath bomb.
    5. Unmold. I like to use a cupcake pan with saran wrap so the bath bombs do not become flat on the side you set them down. I have also seen people use egg carton foam (like for sound proofing). Once you compact the bomb they can come out of the mold. They do not need to stay in the mold and if you do leave them they are very often hard to unmold especially if they expand even a little. They should hold together on their own if they don’t refer to pictures below.
    6. Let them dry. About a day or two and they are ready to use. If you want to speed up the dry time place them in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour or two. I recommend storing them in a dry environment perhaps with a dehumidifier for extended shelf life. You can also shrink-wrap them but it does not always protect them. The very best way is to seal them in an airtight container.
    This recipe should make 6.5 regular sized bathbombs (or 6 regular and 1 small bomb) and 11 or so smaller bombs. If you want more or less bombs simply adjust the amounts accordingly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. for skin application a terpene like orange oil would be better to activate the oil and help it to make it through the skin better ... lecithin would work better for internal use but you could still add some to it though along with more terpenes

5. Interesting idea, I cant help but this is creative, well done OP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thanks a lot Galaxy420, I actually picked up some orange EO this week, so when it arrives I will definitely add it along with a little bit of lethecin and report back here on my findings.

• Like Like x 2