CAUTION - POPULAR DEHUMIDIFIERS LINKED TO FIRES

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Olde School, Jan 19, 2014.

1. OK, I know it's that time of year when most indoor growers don't need to worry as much about excess humidity in the grow room. If you're like me, yours is probably turned off and sitting in the corner. But it won't be long until springtime weather returns, and you're ready to fire it up once again.
    BEFORE YOU DO - check this link about units sold by Home Depot, KMart and Lowes, between January 2005 and August 2013, that have been recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. According to the info in the article, those models have been linked to over 46 fires.
    For those of you who don't trust links to unknown sites, I've scraped and pasted the pertinent info after the link, below.

http://news.msn.com/us/2m-plus-dehumidifiers-recalled-reports-of-fires#tscptme

Dehumidifier manufactured by Gree. www.gree.com.cn
    AP 9/12/13 By Associated Press
    Dehumidifiers linked to 46 fires are being recalled because they can overheat, smoke and catch fire, the Consumer Product Safety Commission says.

WASHINGTON - More than 2 million dehumidifiers are being recalled after dozens of reports of fires and more than $2 million in property damage.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the dehumidifiers can overheat, smoke and catch fire. They were manufactured by Gree Electric Appliances and carried the brand names of Danby, De'Longhi, Fedders, Fellini, Frigidaire, Gree, Kenmore, Norpole, Premiere, Seabreeze, SoleusAir and SuperClima.

The dehumidifiers have been linked to 46 fires and $2.15 million in property damage. No injuries have been reported.

They were sold nationwide at major retailers including Home Depot, Kmart and Lowe's between January 2005 and August of this year.

Consumers should immediately turn off and unplug the dehumidifiers and contact Gree at 866-853-2802 for a refund.

Perhaps this will prevent someone from having a REALLY bad day.
    Hope this helps & bestaluck to ya.

2. I had a humidifier for awhile, but instead of burning me alive it just broke after a few months of use lol

cant win them all I guess :p

3. Yeah, it happens. Mine's a Maytag & it has worked like a charm. Except it overheats the room, which is the nature of the beast. But beats the $#i+ out of bud rot & mold :)

4. I just went and checked mine. I have an LG, but don't remember when I got it. (maybe before 05?) I bought it from ebay so after reading this I was thinking maybe it was ebayed off because of a recall or something. I do remember it was listed as a returned open box, but it looked new when I opened it. This thing has been working nearly everyday for I don't know how many years.

5. Ive had mine for 13 yrs :smoking: Think its GE and not digital so that might help

6. #6 DNorris, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
    Thanks for the heads up Olde School!! How have you been? I haven't seen you around much lately!Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Hey, D !!! Been stuck in Real Life mode since November. Had to take a trip to the left coast in Nov., then the holidays, now in the deep freeze. But I just keep Medicine Man in the bowl to help the hibernation :)
    I'll stop by your thread soon to see what you're up to, good to "see ya" again.