Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

caution on the forums.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TokeDontSmoke, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Ive heard several people discussing how If you use an iPhone to post a picture of say your grow setup, the cops get on here and can pull your location from it. Does anyone know if this is truth or rumor? Thanks GC.

2. The iPhone does record the location of the photo unless you turn geo tracking off.

3. The cops pay people to work on computers and COULD hack on this site and find your ip address(dont listen if someone says they cant, they can) and i think that iphone thing is a sticky. I would never own a p.o.s apple product so I dont have to worry :]

4. Well, I do know for a fact that the iPhone pictures have location information attached to them. Or at least the phone stores that info. My friend has an iPhone, and he just got the latest software update. He said that now you can look at your pics and see exactly where they were taken, using GPS info I assume.

I don't know if the cops would poke around on here to bust someone with a few plants, though.

5. ^ that. There are tons of people here who openly post pictures of their huge grow ops, and Im sure none of them have ever been convicted for it.

6. Thats because this site isnt based in the US. If you posted on FB, that would be different.

The picture file will contain info of the device that took it but Im not sure if it takes down GPS info.

7. Thank you for the speedy replies. I think I will go ahead and post because it's only 1 plant. Thanks again!

8. #8 *guest, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
    Yes,
    If you use an iPhone and have that feature turned on, the GPS location will be stored in the picture.

If you upload this picture straight onto GC without editing it, all someone has to do is view the EXIF data to see the exact location of the picture.

I got an EXIF viewer add-on for Firefox a while ago, came on here and started checking through pictures people posted from their iPhones to see if this was true. It is. :p

It's not just cops that growers have to worry about, ya know.
    If someone who lives near you comes on and sees the exact location of your outdoor grow, you better just hope they aren't thieving assholes. ;)

Some other people have mentioned that you can just view the picture on your computer, hit Print Screen, open it in Paint or Photoshop, crop out the picture and save. Then there won't be any data attached to it. :wave:

9. haha owned

10. You can trace any picture back for starters, computer illiterate people should not give advice on computers. Fact. Secondly the person that said that they could hack onto the site, you wouldnt even need to hack. Your I.P is public information, all the mods/staff have access to it as well.

11. If the government wanted to they could find you. That's all you need to know.

12. That is totally something lazy ass cops would do, I guarantee it.

13. Hacking into the site would cause the information to be inadmissible in court. If the picture isn't tagged with gps coordinates, they'd have to subpoena to get information on your account.

That being said, I would not post any pictures of my grow if there was a chance that it would tip off what my actual location is. I'd actually be more worried about theft than the cops.

14. Junkiedays just finished it. Thanks to all others but he gave the answer I needed. Thanks again GC

15. Don't take pictures of illegal things with your iPhone, period.

16. hahaha, ease up on the weed if you're that paranoid!

Now, is there reality to the fact that you should be careful when posting pictures with EXIF data? You bet.

17. There wouldn't need to be any "hacking in" to the site... They could register just like anyone else and run searches if they wanted to. Anyone posting pics here should really strip EXIF data off to begin with.

People posting here who are growing probably shouldn't even log in directly with their own computers/connections, it's just one more risk that's easy enough to avoid.