Causes of leaves curling down(Besides heat)

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by masterlights, Mar 26, 2011.

1. I ll post a pic later when i have my camera with me but i have 1 topped plant thats about 3 foot tall and all the fan leaves are fine but the secondary leaves around the stalk and bud sites are curled down..and its definitly not heat related.besides that the plant is growing strong and sucking up water/nutes left and right bc its basically 2 plants in 1 pot lol.

I was thinking maybe a slight salt buildup but the other plants have been getting watered and fed exactly the same and this is the only one.Im gonna flush it tomm and see if that helps..

any ideas?

2. salt build up.

3. I'm having some similar issues with a particular strain. I've been chalking it up to overwatering, but some strains grow curled leaves. I've been watching a grape stomper grow that curls every time. I'm not sure what strain you are growing, but it is a possibility.

The old adage never fails though.... "when in doubt, flush it out" :p

4. the strain was green poison.it was a freebie from the tude.i ended up flushing it last week and the leaves are looking much better.i ended up flushing them all this week bc their about at week 4 of flower and i thin its good to do a flush every 4 weeks to keep the salt buildup down and get the medium fresh and clean.

5. Copper deficiency causes the tips of the leaves to droop

6. very hard to over-water in coco, but it can be done. are you allowing for 10-15% run-off? so the only probs. are with the 2 plants in the same pot? each plant should have it's own area. flushing in coco is not necessary if you allow for run-off, which you def. should be...

7. Its not two plants in one pot its a plant that has been topped early in veg and now has grown into 2 symetrical plants pretty much.(2 heads)

The fan leaves were fine but the secondary leaves were curling down..def not from overwatering or heat bc this plant sucks down water like no other bc the root mass is prolly crazy to support the 2 stalks.i ll get a picture posted today when i get my camera.

I know watering with runoff is good but i dont really do that method and my plants are looking great.instead i usually flush every 3 or 4 weeks during the whole plants cycle and i also use a product by strata called S.O.S that is supposed to break down salts and provides beneficial bacteria to the plant..such a great product! i recently discovered it at my local hydro shop.

heres a link to the SOS:
    Soil Enhancement

The microbes contained in SOS will breakdown inorganic salts into bio-available nutrients that can be utilized by the plants. Byproducts of this breakdown such as fatty acids and humates further stimulate plant growth and overall vigor.

8. Masterlights, I have never seen the need to either allow for runoff or to flush coco. Now, having said that, I see nothing wrong with occasionally flushing your coco as salt build up can cause a reverse in the osmotic pressure of the root zone, drawing water out of the plant.

How's your humidity? Low humidity will increase the amount of water the plant transpires in order to keep itself cool. Even if the Temps are not "hot", you should consider how much water the plant is getting. Depending on a number of factors--including light intensity, Temps, size and development of the root zone, size of the plant, amount of foliage, concentration of nutrient solution, etc--some plants may not be getting (or may not be capable of uptaking) enough water to keep themselves cool; this, in turn, will lead to drooping leaves.

One "rule" I always follow is, if the grow area Temps are on the warm or hot side I decrease the nutrient concentration by ~10-15%. If, on the other hand, the Temps are on the cool side I can run the nutrients 10-15% stronger than at normal or average Temps. The reason being that as the Temps climb the plants will transpire more water, making the nutrients in their tissues relatively more concentrated (and vice versa as Temps decline). This, in turn, leads to a reverse in the osmotic pressure gradient in the root zone, ultimately drawing water out of the plant and causing it to droop.

Hope that helps,

Bud

9. [quote name='budbrain007']Masterlights, I have never seen the need to either allow for runoff or to flush coco. Now, having said that, I see nothing wrong with occasionally flushing your coco as salt build up can cause a reverse in the osmotic pressure of the root zone, drawing water out of the plant.

How's your humidity? Low humidity will increase the amount of water the plant transpires in order to keep itself cool. Even if the Temps are not "hot", you should consider how much water the plant is getting. Depending on a number of factors--including light intensity, Temps, size and development of the root zone, size of the plant, amount of foliage, concentration of nutrient solution, etc--some plants may not be getting (or may not be capable of uptaking) enough water to keep themselves cool; this, in turn, will lead to drooping leaves.

One "rule" I always follow is, if the grow area Temps are on the warm or hot side I decrease the nutrient concentration by ~10-15%. If, on the other hand, the Temps are on the cool side I can run the nutrients 10-15% stronger than at normal or average Temps. The reason being that as the Temps climb the plants will transpire more water, making the nutrients in their tissues relatively more concentrated (and vice versa as Temps decline). This, in turn, leads to a reverse in the osmotic pressure gradient in the root zone, ultimately drawing water out of the plant and causing it to droop.

Hope that helps,

Bud[/QUOT

even if its the small sugar leaves next to the bud and the fan leafs look relatively healthy?

10. well, I guess I should have added after saying all that, that I don't consider this issue to be very important UNLESS the droop is severe and unnatural. Some leaf droop is absolutely natural--I ALWAYS get leaf droop during the vegetative stage, for example. During the lights on period the plants in veg will be very perkey; then as the day progresses they become a little more droopy, untill when I look at them during lights out they often--really always--have a fairly pronounced droop.

I simply chalk this up to the young plants not having a sufficiently well developed root system at this point to be able to supply their need for water fully. By the time the lights come back on they are as pretty as ever--after they have had a sufficient time to cool off and rehydrate (when the lights go off transpiration will greatly slow and the plant has a chance to draw water into it's tissues at a faster rate than it's transpiring it).

As long as the environment that you provide the plants is meeting their needs I would NOT worry about a little leaf droop. I've never had this issue adversely affect the health or productivity of any of my plants/grows.

Bud

11. I'm not talking about the natural droopiness they have after a cycle. these leafs haven't perked back up they're the small bud leafs that come , and its not all of them its just a couple kinda strange rest of the plant looks great.

12. #12 thesage3, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
    thinking about trying hydrogen peroxide in my next watering/feeding does anyone know how much to use per gallon?

okay did a little research and h2o2 will also kill the good stuff in the coco. so I don't know what to do, maybe I should just wait they look like they look hungry but I'm afraid of overwatering. I know people say can't overtwater in coco but you can. need help?

13. yea ive also noticed during veg the leaves droop later in the day before the light goes out.the plant i posted in question was already in flower and the rest of the plant looked great..i knew it was a lack of water issue bc only the small secondary leaves were pointed down and its not like they went up and down they were just down always.however after i flushed the plant the secondary leaves seemed to come back up so everything is going good now.

as far as watering unitl runoff with coco ive found its not nesessary and my results have been great.and when i flush i dont even "flush" i just water my 3 gallon pot with 1 gallon of water and let the pot drain really good.i know some ppl on here would flush a 3 gallon pot with like 9 gallons of water lol which i think is just retarded.

i also keep my coco grow simple as possible and my results have been great.i just use the entire technaflora lineup and just use a few ammendments in the water such as pro teck silicon,sos,and sugar daddy.

in terms of adding ammendments to the coco i add marine cuisine,dol lime,some veg bat guano for veg and a tad of soiless mix from roots organic.

14. how do you like the mc and do you do anything diff durring flower like a lower nute rate because u amended with mc and dol, andhow much of each do you use per gal of med, and have you noticed a prob with mag uptake. I use a tbl of each per gal and it seems like they either eat thru the dol fast or its getting locked out somwehow

15. the mix has been going great but i def needed to tweek it a bit.As for the marine cuisine i found that the high Nitrogen in the MC is too much for flower and my flowering girls have had dark green leaves bc of it..they still have the dark green leaves and their about at week 5 of flower.so next time when i transplant the veg into 3 gal pots im just going to add dol lime..which i add 1 tbsp per gall of medium.i might get a flowering bat guano to add instead of the MC.

As for veg the MC and dol lime does great.i also add a tbsp of a veg bat guano.

Sometimes i do notice in veg in the first week or so purpling of the leaf stems but the dol lime takes a lil while to break down and be absorbed bc i use pelletized.i also water with every watering majical and i sprinkle more pelletized dol lime throughout the veg and flowering cycle if i notice they need a bit more..def has been working great.

16. funn y I too have the dark green leafs at week 5and 6 of flower. how long do you let them sit in the 3gal before flowering or do you throw them right in?

17. in veg i use 1 gal pots.i germ in the papertowel then put them straight into the 1 gal pots.then usually 3-4 weeks from sprout their 17 inches and then they go into flower.then i transplant in the first week of flower to 3 gallon pots until their done.

i love coco

18. and do you notice a sufficient rootgrowth into the 3 gal I tried this once and got small yield and when I cleaned up I noticed there was very little root growth into the newer medium. so I don't transplant in flower or even a week before. gotta give them roots time to grow. more roots more nug

19. oh yea the roots have no choice but to go bonkers.its not into a diff type of medium just more coco.theres no way you can flower in the 1 gal pots.the plants would get crazy rootbound.my ladies get to about 3 ft when i transplant to 3 gal pots.

20. I veg in a 6"x6" x6" pot and then transplant into a 2 gal your root development should be done during veg not flower but to each his own if it works for you do it.
    I was using 3gal but noticed even if transplanted two weeks before flower. there was a lot of wasted coco . coco with no root growth in it. we don't really keep the plant alive long enough to warrant a 3 gal pot unless sativas. and when ur doing 15 plus a run and each 3 gal pot has a half a gal of untouched coco thats 7 gals of medium wasted. it would be one thing if I still reused coco but I don't.and I didn't mean diff medium but its fresh. oh and I think I'm either going to grind up the dolomite lime in a coffee grinder to see if that helps speed up the uptake of cal and mag. later