Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cause of redeye

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by _mulled, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ahoy everybody :ey:
    My query is whether or not getting bloodshot eyes is relative to the thc content of the weed you smoked? i was recently in lesotho where i smoked some really shiity localy grown swag and although i barely got stoned my eyes got very very red. Im used to smoking skunk and whether or not i get bloodshot eyes is quite eratic. sometimes i do. sometimes i dont. So if anyone knows the cause or red eyes please let me know...
    thanks for your time
    peace

2. Idk but im leaning towards dehydration just like how you get cottonmouth

3. haha dude that didn't help me at all. this thread is for redeye not cottonmouth :/

4. i herd its becuz of your hert rate wen it increases it makes the vaines in your eyes to get biger but i do no that if u smoke rely good bud your eyes dont get red

5. Im pretty sure it's just a side effect. Getting "high" isss actually the human bodys allergic reaction to cannabinoids.

allergies affects everyone differantly, hence why some people get more redder eyes than others, and some not at all.

6. I've found that when I smoke schwag or mids I get red eyed but when I smoke headies I don't get it as much or none at all.

7. #7 Jdahms, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
    EDIT: so I googled it and this is what I got

Within a few minutes after inhaling marijuana smoke, an individual's heart begins beating more rapidly, the bronchial passages relax and become enlarged, and blood vessels in the eyes expand, making the eyes look red.

--From Utah Dept. of Public Safety, State Bureau of Investigation website
    http://sbi.utah.gov/narcotics/mari_identification.html

8. Marijuana tends to activate the sympathetic nervous system, which tends to block salivary gland output of saliva. Hence cotton mouth.

Sorry for double post I guess that was stupid.

9. i also heard it was from dehydration. a lot of times when you have really bad cotton mouth your eyes are fucked up. id like to see someone actually getting some facts though.

10. #10 Jdahms, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
    I just posted some facts brosef

Actually my red eyes answer is incorrect, Idk where I heard that

11. dunno if it's strain specific... and i know there are people that don't get red-eyes regardless of how strong or what strain they're using.

i've always read that it's because the chemicals can act as a vaso-dialator (makes the blood vessels relax and therefore swell with more blood in em.) though, i'm sure that the dehydration also acts as a factor.

dunno, i'm not a doctor that's studied this stuff, just a casual reader of stuff online.

12. So if I pop mommy's BP meds before I get high, I won't have that problem??

Joking, of course. But wouldn't that be awesome.. Visine has never worked for me!

13. Great information, i 2nd both of these posts.

14. That's the real correct answer.

15. "One common cause of a red eye is straining or coughing"
    Eye redness: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

This occurs as a result of insufficient oxygen supply to the cornea or the tissues covering the eyes

Within a few minutes after inhaling marijuana smoke, an individual's heart begins beating more rapidly, the bronchial passages relax and become enlarged, and blood vessels in the eyes expand, making the eyes look red

Marijuana decreases pressure in the eyes and increases blood flow. When this happens, the arteries in the eye-ball expand (due to decreased pressure). These areteries, especially when expanded, are visible in the white portion of the eye and make the eye appear "bloodshot" or red.
    This very result (decrease of pressure in the eye) is the primary reason marijuana is used to treat glaucoma

Something like that.

16. My eyes never get red. I'm high most of the day. The only time is when the get red, when I take pills, drink, and smoke.