Cause and effect apposed to luck?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by McLovin23_x2, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Ralph Waldo Emerson said that, 'Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect."

Do you agree with this? Why or why not?

I personally believe that yes, it is a more formidable choice to say that you would invest your decisions in the philosophy of Newton's 3rd law of motion is "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

2. Yes, but the cause and effect that I believe in is much more inclusive and chaotic, in a sense, than what most others would think of as cause and effect. What I mean by this, is that in every cause, the effect is predominant, and in every effect, the cause is predominant. That there aren't two poles to the situation, but rather one whole.

What is happening right now are branches which arose co-dependently. That I didn't come to be here by mere luck, nor cause or effect, but by a much more ordered chaotic relevance. That there are millions of factors, instead of one, that got me to be here where I am today. It has nothing to do with luck, but it has nothing to do with what one would call cause and effect, but rather an order that is constantly unfolding and enfolding itself. This constant fusing between the implicate and explicate order is the sum of the great totality, the great implicate order.

In short, everything is interconnected, and to try to pinpoint and say that this caused that would be entirely absurd seeing as how everything caused every thing to be the way it is. Cause and effect imply one factor causing another factor to arise, but what it fails to constitute are the millions upon millions of factors that caused that one factor to arise.