Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Caught smoking in the car by campus police? Need advice?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by vsengaged, Apr 3, 2014.

1. #1 vsengaged, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    Whats up guys,

So last night my roommates and I decided we wanted to smoke 1.5gs between two joints and fishbowl my roommate's car. We went out around 130AM and went to a parking lot on campus but FAR away from any buildings. We fish bowled the two joints with the car off and after we finished, we were just sitting in the car listening to music with the two filters from the joints in a water bottle along with the rest of the ashes.

At around 3AM (roughly 20-30 minutes after we finished smoking), I look in the passenger side mirror and see two campus police officers pull up. They come to my friend's driver's side window and ask for ID's from everyone. When we smoke outside, usually only 1 of 3 of my roommates bring their ID and the roommate that was driving brought his. The cop asked us our names and wrote them down in a little notepad that he had. When my friend opened the window for the cop, it was obvious we were smoking because smoke poured out of the car. He asked us if we were smoking and obviously we said yes and he asked how much and we said the two joints. He told us that if we were honest and cooperative then he would "cut us a break". He wanted to know if we had any more weed at all in the car and we didn't, and we were INCREDIBLY polite, honest, and cooperative every second of the situation.

He told us to get out of the car one by one and he patted us down, and made us go stand near his car while he searched the car. He searches the car, finds absolutely nothing except for the two filters from the joint in the water bottle. Afterwards, he told us to get back into the car and he told us that he wasn't filling out a judicial report but the situation would be handled appropriately through the school. He didn't explain much what that even meant.

Mind you, if you get caught smoking on my campus in your room or near buildings, you get a warning, fined $50 and have to take like a 6 hour anti-drug class thing. I'm not sure what happens exactly if you get caught in the car but in a parking lot.

----> Technically he NEVER caught us actually smoking or with any possession of weed. It is obvious we were smoking in the car because it smelled and had a lot of smoke fish bowled inside, but he never actually saw us smoking and he never found any weed. Only the filters in the water bottle. So my question is: can we technically even get in trouble since he never found any weed on us at all?

Sorry that was so long, just didn't want to leave a lot out so you guys could understand exactly what happened.

EDIT: Oh and all three of us are 18. In my state, as long as you have under an ounce, it is only a criminal offense and a $150 fine if you're over 18. That's the state law.

2. I'm not in college nor have I been caught but I can tell you it might not be taken that serious

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Well, you weren't smoking during school hours but the campus rules are the campus rules. 
    Sounds like that cop was going to cut you a break, he'll probably go and tell the Dean (or whomever is in charge) and if you're lucky they'll laugh and tell the campus cop to catch someone actually doing something bad.  

4. I didn't read the whole thing but it sounds like what happened to my roommate my freshman year of college. Cept he ran. He still got caught but he ran........ Iono sounds like the cops cool and maybe the school will make you do something dumb to "punish" you, like make you make a stupid poster............

Sent from....... wouldn't you like to know. Probably your mamas house.

5. Dont really have much input on this but its interesting because I vape out in the open on my campus and even though i would assume i look sorta "sketchy" (to the police) but they've never bothered me keep us updated OP

6. Well you admitted to him that you did. He doesn't have to catch you doing anything.

7. that doesn't mean shit lol, there's no law against being high only possessing,he didn't have any so he's clean an Scott free u can't go to jail for admitting u smoked weed lol op u may get a fine but u should be free, mayb have to take that 6 hour class but so what lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Sounds like you already know what will happen. No report to the actual local cops, but ...
    "Mind you, if you get caught smoking on my campus in your room or near buildings, you get a warning, fined $50 and have to take like a 6 hour anti-drug class thing. I'm not sure what happens exactly if you get caught in the car but in a parking lot."
    :smoke:

9. You were free and clear...the weed was gone, the only thing left was the smoke, ALL you had to do was say "we weren't smoking...prove it..." and he woulda had no proof. What was he gonna do? Put smoke in a water bottle?? YOU confessed... lol

10. You admitted to it, so you'll get the same consequences as if you were smoking in your room and not be contacted by the police.

11. It's a misdomener he doesn't have to prove anything he admitted to it. That like saying you got a ticket for running a stop sign and you tell the cop the prove it.

12. One car in a empty parking lot at 1am...lol.

Honestly you were probably better off parking next to some big ass truck,keeping a low profile,having the music not loud,and the lights off.

13. lol  yeah 2nd that

14. I think people that are that stupid deserve to get busted. How could sitting in a empty parking lot hit icing sound like any bit if a good idea.

15. #15 BurnAFewDown, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    He said it was by campus security though, so if its just like my school, the police don't find out and the school deals with it. Different drugs would be alerted to police however

16. Oh I thought he said police. Every college I have been to (5) none ever had security. They were all real cops.

Soooo, I'm assuming you guys have never been to a college campus before? My school has 20,000 students and about 50% live on campus. You can't find a parking lot with less than a thousand cars. Any time we smoke in the car, we are always extremely careful about it, especially me in particular because I have the most at stake. We find a spot in between two cars and three cars in front of us. We always carry a low profile, never have the music loud in the first place because we actually like to chill and talk with each other while we smoke, and always have the car and lights off.

I agree, it would be pretty stupid to smoke in a car in an empty parking lot on a college campus.. but I don't remember me saying it was an empty lot.... ever.

Thanks to everyone else who replied. I appreciate it.

18. Oh I see, I go to a small 2,000 person college and we just have security. My self and many others have been caught with weed and they just take the weed and the school deals with it.

19. I'm assuming your campus has it's own legitimate police force, because if they're just 'campus safety officers' they had no right to do anything that they did. But assuming they're legitimate cops, you still should never admit to anything. It's good that you didn't have anything on you, but you still should have denied permission to any searches and made them go through with getting a warrant. The reason he said he's not filing any charges is because there's nothing he can charge you with; as they say, possession is nine tenths of the law, so if you had no actual marijuana on you, there's nothing he can do. Being in a car full of smoke isn't illegal, no matter what the smoke may smell like.

20. lucky you dude my schools policy is to call the cops for any weed offense