Catholicism is BullSh*t

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ineedasmoke, Dec 24, 2012.

1. The Catholics believe Mary is holy- that's the same as saying she's on the same level of God, even if they're not directly calling her a divine being as stated in that article.

The Catholics believe the pope and priests have the power to forgive sins. No one can do this except for God. How can someone who is a sinner, forgive another sinner of their sins?

2. No one can do this except for God

Source?

"In religious terms, divinity is the state of things that come from a supernatural power or deity, such as God, and are therefore regarded as sacred and holy."
    Divinity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So Mary didn't come from God? Sounds like YOU are the one putting her above God.

3. Mary was just a woman just like any other woman.

The bible's pretty clear only God can forgive sins. We can forgive other people for things they've done to us, but we are accountable for our sin against God. Mark 2:7. The Pharisees, who didn't believe Jesus was the Messiah, wanted to kill Him because he was going around forgiving people of their sins. They clearly understood that only God can forgive sins, and by Jesus doing that He was claiming to be God, which in their minds was heresy.

4. "the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins" (Matt. 9:6)

God "had given such authority to men" (Matt. 9:8)

"‘As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained’" (John 20:21–23)

"All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation" (2 Cor. 5:18). Indeed, confirms Paul, "So we are ambassadors for Christ" (2 Cor. 5:20)

Now, please, tell me how I took everything out of context.

5. You're taking verse 8 out of context.

Charles Spurgeon's commentary on verse 8:
    "It was openly seen by all “the multitudes.” Crowds heard of the marvel; it
    was town talk. It was evidently no delusion: the hopelessly palsied had
    been assuredly healed; for he had carried off his mattress, and was gone
    home. The common people did not cavil; but they wondered, and then they
    trembled, and were overawed, and driven to the adoration of God. So far
    so good; but it did not go far enough, nor last long enough. Men may see,
    marvel, and even in words glorify God, and yet may not accept his Son as
    their Lord. The multitudes had common-sense enough to give the glory of
    such a work to God, and to be struck with surprise that he should “give
    such power unto men,.” Evidently they viewed Jesus as a man on whom
    God had bestowed special gifts; a prophet who had received miraculous
    power and used it on the behalf of men. They went as far as they knew: we
    wish we could say the same of many who, in this day, refuse to give our
    Lord the divine honors which he claims and abundantly deserves. If “the
    Son of man” had all this power, how can we limit him as “the Son of
    God”? Let us not leave the narrative till we have glorified God for all the
    many ways in which he gives power to those who have no strength, raises
    believers out of the paralysis of sin, and makes them blessings to others."

Also, here is Adam Clarke's commentary on the second passage you gave me:

Verse 22. He breathed on them] Intimating, by this, that they were to be made new men, in order to be properly qualified for the work to which he had called them; for in this breathing he evidently alluded to the first creation of man, when God breathed into him the breath of lives, and he became a living soul: the breath or Spirit of God (Myhla xwr ruach Elohim) being the grand principle and cause of his spiritual and Divine life.

Receive ye the Holy Ghost] From this act of our Lord, the influences of the Holy Spirit on the souls of men have been termed his inspiration; from in, into, and spiro, I breathe. Every word of Christ which is received in the heart by faith comes accompanied by this Divine breathing; and, without this, there is neither light nor life. Just as Adam was before God breathed the quickening spirit into him, so is every human soul till it receives this inspiration. Nothing is seen, known, discerned, or felt of God, but through this. To every private Christian this is essentially requisite; and no man ever did or ever can preach the Gospel of God, so as to convince and convert sinners, without it. "There are many (says pious Quesnel) who extol the dignity of the apostolic mission, and compare that of bishops and pastors with that of Christ; but with what shame and fear ought they to be filled, if they do but compare the life and deportment of Christ with the lives and conversation of those who glory in being made partakers of his mission. They may depend on it that, if sent at all, they are only sent on the same conditions, and for the same end, namely-to preach the truth, and to establish the kingdom of God, by opposing the corruption of the world; and by acting and suffering to the end, for the advancement of the glory of God. That person is no other than a monster in the Church who, by his sacred office, should be a dispenser of the Spirit, and who, by the corruption of his own heart, and by a disorderly, worldly, voluptuous, and scandalous life, is, at the same time, a member and instrument of the devil."

23 "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."
    Adam Clarke's Commentary:
    Verse 23. Whose soever sins ye remit] See the notes on Mt 16:19; 18:18. It is certain God alone can forgive sins; and it would not only be blasphemous, but grossly absurd, to say that any creature could remit the guilt of a transgression which had been committed against the Creator. The apostles received from the Lord the doctrine of reconciliation, and the doctrine of condemnation. They who believed on the Son of God, in consequence of their preaching, had their sins remitted; and they who would not believe were declared to lie under condemnation. The reader is desired to consult the note referred to above, where the custom to which our Lord alludes is particularly considered. Dr. Lightfoot supposes that the power of life and death, and the power of delivering over to Satan, which was granted to the apostles, is here referred to. This was a power which the primitive apostles exclusively possessed.

6. So... you're Catholic, then? Or...

7. Different interpretations leading to one group believing God's scriptures (that is open to interpretation) gave the church divine authority. It's still Christian. All catholics are christian ,but not all christians are catholics. It's a denomination.

Chris·tian·i·ty noun \ˌkris-chē-ˈa-nə-tē, ˌkrish-, -ˈcha-nə-, ˌkris-tē-ˈa-\

Definition of CHRISTIANITY

: the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies

case closed.

8. @chambs1 Nope, but you're interpreting the bible wrong.

9. Sometimes we gotta slow our roll man, we get a little zealous of what we think is right, when in reality, we should just chill...Because think of the big picture, does our petty arguments on this forum, really amount to anything?

10. Who can say if we're interpreting it right? I think the bible is wrong, I believe God really wants us to believe through our own faith, not faith through the bible..

11. Who can say if we're interpreting it right?

Nobody can. That's the point I was trying to make.

12. If you're Christian and you believe the bible is wrong........ I just don't get it. That's no different from creating your own personal god to fit what you like, except you're just using the christian name.

13. I never said I was a christian, my wisdom comes from my experience, and knowing and understanding my wisdom, allows me to see how life is.

14. The Catholic religion is one of the most misguided groups on earth. Baptism, donating money to the corrupt churches, praising the pope and idols of mother Mary and body parts of former popes, etc. is not gonna get you to heaven.

Killuminati

15. I had no idea bullshit was so worth arguing over.

16. look it up, jehovahs witness, 7th day adventists, mormons and roman catholics etc are not considered christian by most. look it up.

17. They're just butt-hurt that there are different interpretation. It's practically the no true Scotsman fallacy at a ridiculously large level. They're trying to distance themselves so much that they start exaggerating claims like one is not christian lol. Whatever though, it demonstrates that this book can't even get a group of people to agree on the interpretations.

18. They aren't considered Christian by know-it-all, self righteous protestant fucks. The same type of assholes that think the US should be a Christian state. Those people aren't truly a majority. Thinking people understand that christians encompass all faiths centered on Jesus.

19. The bible is pretty explicit about how to get to heaven, so excuse us if we disagree with other people who, purporting to be 'Christians' believe in other methods specifically warned against in the same book. The bible even goes on to say that God reserves special judgment for those who add or take away from the bible.

Anyway, God knows His own, so despite whatever terms society wants to use, the true test of who is a Christian and who isn't will be at the Great White Throne Judgment.