Catholic guilt

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by 420girl1234, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Catholicism is a heavy guilt trip by design.
    As long as you feel overwhelmingly burdened with guilt, you are right where you are supposed to be. A good Catholic.

2. That’s kind of fucked up when you think about it isn’t it.

If you believe in it, you really think it was necessary for God to allow mere mortal men to kill and torture his own son?

J

3. I never got the whole praying to Catholic “saints”. That’s a pretty fucked up thing too.

4. 1Timothy 2:5
    For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Even says this in their own Bible. But their catechism teaches multiple mediators. ~?

• Like Like x 1
  5. I always hated even the thought of people being asked to pray To assorted men that the Catholic Church deemed worthy to call “Saints”...

Good thing I’m not catholic.

J

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm actually shocked I came across this, but the title struck me as interesting. I'm a Catehumen! :eek: Like you I go to Mass every Sunday and Holy days of Obligation, Catechism classes. That's Catholic guilt, ahha. Everyone has it. You can be scrupulous too. I think I am that at times. I'm sure when I start going to Confession more. Confession is hard at times.

Well I see myself as a Catholic, but I left the Vatican 2, so I'm Independent Catholic/Sedevacantist. We can talk more about that if you want to. I'm open for most topics :)

I don't know if it teaches that (everything) is wrong, but I didn't ever go to Catholic School either. I would think it depends on what school too. They are all different. I think home-schooling would be better myself, because of how they teach the kids (from reading and listening to other Catholic families).

I smoke pot and I personally asked my Priest about it and he said he thought it was okay, as long as it helps me and it does!

I struggle with sins just as much as the next person.

You sound so much like me a year ago.

I have depression and anxiety and some other stuff :/.

I would talk to God in prayer about it myself or pray the rosary. That helps me, and I should be getting back into that. My life is a mess lately!

If you ever want to chat, I'm open for that. I hope you feel better and don't be so harsh on yourself!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stoicism is a good help here. Paraphrasing the last of the Five Good Emperors of Rome; Marcus Aurelius:

Live a good life.
    If there are Gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
    If there are Gods and they are unjust, then they are not worthy of your devotion.
    If there are no Gods, then you will have lived a noble life, and you will have an afterlife in the memory of your loved ones, who will remember you fondly.

Don't take too hard the human interpretations of God, in my opinion. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but there is value in good virtue regardless of the faith (or lack thereof) attached to them. In either case, Jesus doesn't seem to be the type who wants you to feel like shit about choices that bring love, such as your lesbian lover and your shared child.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. as an ex-catholic, the church of the subgenius helped me get my slack back

9. That guilt is normal tbh. seems like you still hold the catholic church of importance in your life, at least a bit.

the catholic church is messed up too. the truth lies somewhere hidden.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. #32 Skyjester, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    All organized religions are evil because they are businesses first and religions second. In the RCC this absurdity started with Constantine, when it was necessary to make Roman Catholicism financially self-sustaining. Voila, they come up with "original sin" contrived out of literal thin air. Nothing cures it except death, no matter how much money you plop into their baskets, how many stale bread wafers you eat or how many times you confess your personal sins to complete strangers sitting in a box. The essential message and religion of Jesus were castrated, unbaptized babies were tossed from heaven, and man was degraded from a default good being into a default evil one. Along with the former religion now business. It's been non-stop and ever-increasing absurdity in their dogma ever since, to justify this "original sin" nonsense. Pelagius was correct.

A substantial portion of the money plopped into their baskets goes to pay legal settlements and payoffs for their child abusing clergy.

My point is the same as others have made. What matters and all that matters is your relationship with your own conscience. Faith, prayer, scripture, dogma, clergy, ritual etc are symptoms of separation from God.

11. @Butterfly3

What’s the deal with praying to saints - men deemed worthy of the title by the Catholic Church?

I never understood that.

J

12. They lost me at "Holy Water". The religion is a near-total mess of idolatry and voodoo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I was raised Catholic, and I've learned to harness the guilt. Although I left the Church a long time ago and am fairly sure that there isn't a vengeful god who's going to smite me for touching myself or getting high, that stuff still lurks in my subconscious somewhere, and it gives me an extra little thrill when I indulge in any kind of sensual pleasure. I kind of feel sorry for people who were raised in atheist or non-religious households because they'll never understand how good being "bad" feels. ;)

14. Gosh I wonder if child abusing priests get the same extra little thrill. Probably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Happy B'day Rev. Stang.

16. What do you mean what's the deal? There are plenty of religions if you look them up that pray for intercession of saints. To answer your other question, I've asked about that too. And, pretty much, yes. The Catholic Church is one of the oldest christian churches. I say 2, because there's rome and then eastern catholic. That's all that used to be. I think they deserve a bit more respect in those matters. I don't know about everything the Catholic church and what people have criticized about it, but I still love it. I'm a totally different place than where I was in the beginning though. But if you believe that much in the Holy Ghost then, there you go. I have a lot of questions about it too.

idolatry? We don't worship images or statues if that's what you're saying, lol. Why do you have images of people on your wall? To remember them. Why do you have statues of Jesus? It's not just saint statues. There are icons from the eastern catholic that was scared of idolatry so much that they made icons instead of statues. We pray for their intercession, like asking a family member if you can pray for me. BUT if you're another religion like Jewish they believe that too. And, voodoo? Eh? Explain?

Probably. And having a thought that the new church, vatican 2 will help you not get in trouble. That's what the Vatican is having problems with now. I hope that it comes out more forever. Those people aren't priests, they just hide behind the title.

17. Guilt is what takes place when a person realizes their failure. False guilt, which is what Satan is known to throw at us, is where the sin has been repented of and forgiven, but he still wants us to feel guilty or see ourselves associated with our pasts. Intercessory prayer is not something you want to continue in my friend.

18. I have a multitude of friends who got pretty screwed up from being Catholic and LDS. Some was quite brutal. Seek a round of therapy to work on your guilt issues.