Caterpillars

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Nandough420, Sep 10, 2012.

1. #1 Nandough420, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2012
    Found like 3 or 4 caterpillars today eating up almost what looked to be an eighth on one of my smaller plants today, just wondering what you guys n gc use for these little buggers , I picked them all of n fed them to my chickens lol
    Would I spray something jus in case more try to get on my other plants ? Or is it too late to spray anything as they are budding already they probably have 2 to 3 weeks left maybe something I can spray around the ground so they dnt climb onto them ?

2. As long as you get gardensafe/organic stuff to spray on em you'll be fine. I dont spray 2-4 weeks before harvest usually unless its needed.

3. Just look them over very well every day if you can. They will get down into the nodes up inside the buds and eat and shit 24/7. Once they do that, the botrytis mold will form. Dense indica buds are 10x as likely for this to happen compared to sativas. Those little bastards suck major ass. Good luck.

4. You just gotta be careful of how late into flower you spray. Some people have reported lingering bad taste with that product.

5. I harvested my first plant the past two days and even though I was very diligent about looking for bugs I found about 20 caterpillars of various ages. It is really hard to keep the bugs down outdoors. I ended up spraying my other two plants which were far behind my first plant. Those suckers can really eat!

6. [quote name='"Nandough420"']

Would this one work Garden Dust-5162 at The Home Depot I dnt want to wait to order it online so I'll probably head to home depot if it does[/quote]

I don't think that's a good product for this situation. It's is meant to be sprinkled on the ground to kill crawling bugs. Moths and caterpillars don't touch the ground so that won't help. And I wouldn't want to sprinkle it on the buds themselves. I'd use the Caterpillar Killer suggested above.

7. #9 subvana, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
    That caterpiller spray says to spray in late afternoon or early evening because it breaks down in direct sunlight and says it can be used up to day of harvest (which I wouldn't do with anything you can't wash). So while I won't argue that it effects taste, I'm sure using this until the last two weeks wouldn't hurt. I've been using it since they we're 6" or so and I hardly have any, and no damage as the ones I've found are small and I've only had them for a week...