Caterpillar Problems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by LouCabrazi, Jul 6, 2012.

1. I grow outdoor in Southern California and the only real bug problems that I've experienced are caterpillars. They start out small and greenish tan then grow up bigger as they devour my buds and leaves.

Any hints on how to rid myself from these b@$!@%ds :mad:

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Any suggestions??

3. I live By Bakersfield so I feel your pain.

This works excellent for caterpillars and will wipe them out in a day or so.
    [​IMG]

It contains b.t. Or bacillus thuringiensis, which is a bacteria that infects caterpillars the way a bacteria infects humans. Without antibiotics, they'll die in days. It's a powder, so you squeeze the bottle and it puffs out. Best to apply at night as bacteria breaks down/dies in direct sunlight.

4. #4 Stride420, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
    I just pick them off with tweezers. I wouldn't put a poison product on or close to something I consume/smoke.

5. [quote name='"Stride420"']I just pick them pdf with tweezers. I wouldn't put a poison product on or close to something I consume/smoke.[/quote]

Yea it's nice to think that keeps them away. Like posted above. Anything with b.t in it does the job.

6. B.t. Is a bacteria. It's not poison or close. Please don't spread misinformation. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. [quote name='"pokesmot247"']

B.t. Is a bacteria. It's not poison or close. Please don't spread misinformation. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.[/quote]

If it infects them and kills them is it not a poison? Maybe not poison in the traditional sense like rat or cockroach poison... But still a poison nonetheless. Now don't get your panties in a bunch. Organic growing is much better than adding a bunch of bullshit products when you could just tweezer the little fuckers.

8. No its not a poison. Stop being aggressive. There's no need for that. When you get sick and go to the dr, are you poisoned? Are you poisoned even a little in the traditional sense? No you're not.

Bt occurs naturally in the soil. It wont hurt humans or plants and is specific to caterpillars as an infection.

I really don't understand your need to argue. You're wrong. Plain and simple.

Tweezers dont work on larvae or tent caterpillars for instance.

9. [quote name='"pokesmot247"']

No its not a poison. Stop being aggressive. There's no need for that. When you get sick and go to the dr, are you poisoned? Are you poisoned even a little in the traditional sense? No you're not.

Bt occurs naturally in the soil. It wont hurt humans or plants and is specific to caterpillars as an infection.

I really don't understand your need to argue. You're wrong. Plain and simple.

Tweezers dont work on larvae or tent caterpillars for instance.[/quote]

Yes when you go to the doctors because you are sick from a foreign pathogen in your system that's poisoning to your body. What do you think poison is? Anything that is essentially harmful to your body and causes you to be sick is considered a poison.

I want even arguing with you in the first place. I simply stated that he could just pick them off with tweezers and not have to use a product. Maybe he would like to just go the organic route. You got offended at the fact that someone else have him some advice different than yours.

10. Sigh....

I'm not offended at all. I'm also not the one throwing out cusswords. However, I refuse to sit by while someone calls a naturally occurring, non toxic bacteria that is sitting in most of our front yards a poison.

I could get technical with you, explaining toxins, poisons, etc. but you seem confused by bacteria in general and it seems it would be a waste of my time to educate you further. Feel free to respond and give all the "advice" you want. I see no reason to continue this conversation.

Best of luck OP! :smoke:

Peace.

11. Is it safe to use if my plants have started flowering?

Can you pick it up at any good nursery?

12. Since its a bacteria, it will die in light, meaning a few days after you put it on your plants and it kills the caterpillars, it will become food for your plant, as will the caterpillars :) (this is the reason I said to apply at night, as putting bt on during the day may have no effect at all)

I have only found it on amazon.

Also op, it's a bacteria, so it only has a shelf life of a year from the date you open it.

13. [quote name='"pokesmot247"']Sigh....

I'm not offended at all. I'm also not the one throwing out cusswords. However, I refuse to sit by while someone calls a naturally occurring, non toxic bacteria that is sitting in most of our front yards a poison.

I could get technical with you, explaining toxins, poisons, etc. but you seem confused by bacteria in general and it seems it would be a waste of my time to educate you further. Feel free to respond and give all the "advice" you want. I see no reason to continue this conversation.

Best of luck OP! :smoke:

Peace.[/quote]

No one threw out cuss words.

You seem to be the type that thinks you are some almighty superior one with your knowledge telling me how I don't know how bacteria work and how it would be a waste to "educate" me. And stop being a passive aggressive. No one likes that.

It kills an organism... That's a poison. It might be a naturally occurring substance but then again a lot of poisons are naturally occurring also.

14. [quote name='"Stride420"']I just pick them off with tweezers. I wouldn't put a poison product on or close to something I consume/smoke.[/quote]

Well this goes on the veggies you consume from the store, and it's organic so you will even find it on organic products. Maybe you should read up a little bit more before you call it a poison and judge anyone for using it. It's a bacteria, not a poison. And it's so safe that it doesn't even effect other bugs. Only caterpillars, moths, and budworms. I've used it up until a few days before harvest with great results.

15. [quote name='"Stride420"']

If it infects them and kills them is it not a poison? Maybe not poison in the traditional sense like rat or cockroach poison... But still a poison nonetheless. Now don't get your panties in a bunch. Organic growing is much better than adding a bunch of bullshit products when you could just tweezer the little fuckers.[/quote]

When you just "tweezer" them they have to get big enough to be found and by then they have lived and shit in your buds for days and cause mold. It's funny to me that you'd rather smoke bacteria laden worm poop than a bacteria thats made to prevent the problem.

16. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

Well this goes on the veggies you consume from the store, and it's organic so you will even find it on organic products. Maybe you should read up a little bit more before you call it a poison and judge anyone for using it. It's a bacteria, not a poison. And it's so safe that it doesn't even effect other bugs. Only caterpillars, moths, and budworms. I've used it up until a few days before harvest with great results.[/quote]

I know I understand what it is. No one is judging anyone for using it. Everyone has their own way of growing and im not smoking any of your guys product so I don't care. I was just sharing how I would do it.

And you guys aren't understanding me... I am not saying it is a poison like cyanide. I am saying it's a poison like it kills.

17. [quote name='"Stride420"']

I know I understand what it is. No one is judging anyone for using it. Everyone has their own way of growing and im not smoking any of your guys product so I don't care. I was just sharing how I would do it.

And you guys aren't understanding me... I am not saying it is a poison like cyanide. I am saying it's a poison like it kills.[/quote]

Then by that logic tweezers would be a poison also. They kill.... I'm just saying that BT is perfectly safe, chemical free, and organic. It's fine if you don't like it, but it's a terrific product for the rest of us, and chances are we are already consuming it in our foods. But like someone mentioned already, the bacteria dies off and is absorbed by the plants by the time it reaches our plates or pipes.

18. Yes let me go up to my 8ft fall plant with a pair of tweezers. Oh wait I still have 15 more plants to do. Let's get real