Caterpillar problems in SoCal?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by grandad, Aug 14, 2012.

1. #1 grandad, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    My 4 girls just got raped by those fucking Caterpillars... I've picked off at least 10 of things. I just sprayed the hell out of them with Safer Caterpillar killer any know how well it works and how fast .and should I repeat until harvest?
    Girls are 5 - 6 feet so there is alot of area.?
    Any Ideas?

2. #2 sgtstadanko, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    Does it say it has BT in it. I should work instantly. It's a bacteria poison that when they try to eat the plants witch has the spray on it it will kill them

3. I know your pain man. I got hit by them this year too. Caught them in the process.

Here's what I did, and it completely eliminated the problem.

Day 1: Pick all the caterpillars I could see with my eyes off the plants.
    Day 2: Apply the Safer Caterpillar killer.
    Day 3: Pick up and shake every plant sideways and shake off all the remaining caterpillars.
    Day 4: Reapply the Safer Caterpillar killer.

It's been about 3 weeks now and they are totally bug free.

The way the stuff works is there is a bacteria in the caterpillar killer that produces little crystals on the leaves. The bugs eat the crystals and then they basically get kidney stones that tear them up from the inside and they die. Bastards!

Do what you can to get them off manually and use a few applications to keep any that do remain from getting a foothold. I saw no ill-effects from the use of this product and have since applied it to my tomato garden as well. Make sure you spray it on the underside of the leaves.

4. I'm norcal and just found a wee little caterpillar today. I sprayed with soapy water but I fear I will have to get something stronger. My plant is pretty dense and I don't know how well the spraying is getting in the thick parts. Damn bugs! I've had a pretty easy time as far as bugs went this year. I think the caterpillars are going to make up for it.

5. There a little too big to shake sideways, hell I use a ladder to get to the top now & the pots 7 -20 gal. pretty heavy to be shakin. the Safer product deos have BT in it, but reading online it seems to be sold in a mild formVS. industrial strenth, so I'm doubling the mix ratio. My old eyes suck and I'm using jewlers visor magnifier works excellent for finding the fuckers... big time tedius.
    how often can I apply Safer, and I really don't like adding moisture directly to my big buds, with a fear of bud rot.
    thanks for all the feed back.

6. Be careful if you double the strength, test it on a lower branch and give it a day or two to be sure it wont burn the leaves.

7. "Be careful if you double the strength, test it on a lower branch and give it a day or two to be sure it wont burn the leaves."
    Roger that... Thanks, will do

8. Is BT ok to spray right on the buds? I'm about a week or 2 from harvest.

9. Just went out to smoke a bowl before bed when i checked on my bud drying and thought it was a leave but nope it was a ity bity lil caterpillar. I hope i dont find more

10. Just went out to smoke a bowl before bed when i checked on my bud drying and thought it was a leave but nope it was a ity bity lil caterpillar. I hope i dont find more of these lil bitches. :eek: I dont want to find dead pillars in my jars when i start to cure my buds. Even with two small autos these fuckers still mess with me. Little fuckers i swear!

11. #11 5150, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
    I spray BT every 4 days. Prevention is the key. Spraying during stretch and after stretch good is also key. Covering your plants helps well with BT when the rain comes.

Normal dose works for me for I see desolved worms on some of my leafs. I have not found any to pick off though.

• Like Like x 1