Caterpillar Issue / Harvesting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by schreier94, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Hello! This is my first time growing cannabis ever. I have two indica dominant hybrids that I'm growing outside. They're pretty deep into flower. I went on vacation for a couple weeks and had a friend watch and water them for me. When I came home, I found caterpillar bite marks all over the leaves. I found a bunch of caterpillars in the buds themselves, too :(. I sprayed the plant with insecticide, which seemed to work, but do you think it's too late? I must mention: the plant is starting to bloom in other areas that it never had before. It's almost like it knew it was under attack so it readjusted. Can someone give me advice? Should I harvest these? A lot of the buds have brown leaves but I assume that's from the caterpillars? The stem of the plant doesn't look so hot in some parts either (pictured). Any advice would be appreciated!

IMG_8724.jpeg IMG_8726.jpeg IMG_8727.jpeg IMG_8728.jpeg IMG_8739.jpeg IMG_8740.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Try to pick out as many bud worms as you can.

BT spray or powder will help combat these little bastards. I’d start treating immediately.
    HTH :thumbsup:

3. I picked out a bunch and haven't seen more since I sprayed it. I sprayed over two weeks ago.

The browning of the buds is what concerns me. Is there anything to do to mitigate that?

4. The browning of the buds was from the killing that occurred from them munching down on them.

Make sure to remove all of that as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Remove all brown bud rot

6. You needed to start spraying BT at the first sign of flower and once a week from then till harvest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A bug zapper nearby will help limit the moths.

BNW

7. Do I remove the branches that have browning on them as well or just the buds?

8. Should I remove the branches with rot too or just the buds?

9. Don’t remove the branches that are browned if there are still green parts on it. But if the entire branch is browned out I’d remove.

10. Agreed.

That brown shit if left intact will spread to all other buds during curing.

I'd seriously consider bud washing with either 1 cup peroxide per 5 gallons water or 1 cup baking soda with 1 cup lemon juice in 5 gallons water. Then wash with fresh water in a second 5 gallon bucket. I like to leave the hose running in the bucket on low so it stays fresh.

I always do lemon baking soda for outdoor. I've seen Cervantes use peroxide for powdery mildew.

• Agree Agree x 1