Carters how to : Germinating old seeds *experiment*

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by CarterCannabis, Mar 24, 2016.

1. What's up fellow blades?
    Carter here.
    So I just recently got back into growing after some years and wanted to germinate some old seeds I had (5+ years old). I soaked them in distilled water for 24 hours and then to a damp paper towel inside of a ziploc in a warm area. (Like I always had done). I checked day after day after day for a total of TWO WEEKS. Nothing ever came of them.

I'm not having that...

[​IMG]

So here I am with a bunch of gibberellic acid and an experiment in the works.

[​IMG]

I tested three levels.

0 ppm (control)
    [​IMG] (I don't know why there's 1 ppm, I know someone's gonna get their panties in a twist about it.)

100 ppm (gibberellic)
    [​IMG]

200 ppm (gibberellic)
    [​IMG]

I wasn't too exact on how many seeds were in each and just tossed them in.
    I didn't bother sifting through light/green seeds that I presume are no good either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So into my dresser they go in some darkness.
    [​IMG]
    I'm just going to soak these, I won't bother putting them onto a paper towel because I don't want them to grow. This is just an experiment with a set of "toss away" seeds I have out of a huge batch collected over previous years. I'll be back every day to update and hanging around to answer any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. Subbed

• Like Like x 1
  3. Glad to have a familiar blade in!

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have germinated 29 year old seeds in the past that had been wrapped, wrapped and deep frozen after soaking in a light mixture of BioAg Ful Power (Fulvic Acid).

5 out of 10 grew into perfectly healthy plants.

J

• Like Like x 2
  5. Wow. That's amazing. I didn't properly store these and it's really humid where they were so I was kind of worried, but we will see how it goes. So they were soaked first, and then stored? And germinated normally?

Thanks for your input, J, I've been reading some of your threads on organics for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. No, not soaked before storing? Just soaking (Fulvic Acid) before germination.

I believe seeds can stay viable for quite awhile if kept dry and frozen.

J

• Like Like x 2
  7. Was just clearing up what you were saying, I read it the wrong way.

I believe you're right. I've heard the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 CarterCannabis, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Do you know what the fulvic acid actually does to the seed?

Gibberellic acid supposedly promotes the formation of messenger Rna to produce hydrolitic enzymes. It just breaks down stored energy within the seed. I'm wondering if it's true for more acids for the same reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sorry - it's over my head but I've seen it referred to more than once of being "the enzyme of enzymes".

J

• Like Like x 2
  10. That makes sense.. Looks like I got me another experiment. Lol. I definitely want to compare some acids.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Any updates?

12. Yes keep us updated. I've got seeds from 15+ years ago that I've just kept for some reason. I know they may not pull off anything great. But always been curious if they would pop.

sent from the toilet.

13. So sorry guys! I'm horrible I know. I took photos of those that sprouted and did some math to figure out percentages. I think I'm going to re-do the experiment with more controlled measures and actually going forth with planting.

From what I saw in this trial. The ga3 acid definitely helped the seeds pop and get going.. The 100 ppm had the best results germinating around 67%, the 200 ppm around 65% and the control yielded a germination rate of about 23%.

I would say it definitely increases germination rates, but I want to conduct another trial.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Link - http://www.bioag.com/images/BioAg_Ful-Power_FAQ_LR.pdf

BioAg Ful Power Fulvic acid -

"Can I use Ful-Power on seeds? - Like transplants, Ful-Power is excellent when used to start seeds. Improved speed and development may be achieved. More importantly, the new plants will experience less stress and improved health. Follow label instructions."

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. So it's fulvic acid and Humic acid?

Looks like some good stuff.

Thanks for the info. I was curious on using it for transplants/clones and it looks like You found my answer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. No - well, yes and no. Fulvic Acid IS humic acid, but not all humic acid contains Fulvic acid.

"1. What is the difference between humic acid and fulvic acid?

Fulvic acid is the lowest molecular weight portion of humic substances. By definition it will be golden in color where humic acid will be brown to black. Because of its small molecular size, fulvic acid is able to penetrate the leaf and even the mitochondria of a cell which makes it great for foliar sprays and root drenches. By comparison humic acid is a fantastic soil conditioner and better for dry broad cast and soil/soil-less application. Typically each manufacturer will provide a product analysis differentiating the fulvic from the humic; however some states do not accept fulvic acid analysis and will refer to all substances as humic acids. To further confuse things, a standardized industry method for analyzing humic substances does not exist. This creates a wide range of concentrations and analysis for humic products. At the end of the day it is best to conduct bioassays and test the products yourself to see which one will perform best. For more information on humic substances properties visit Properties of Humic Substances"

The products manufactured by BioAg are the real deal. The company is owned by Dr Robert Faust who is a scientist and pioneer in his field. There is ALOT of crap out there! You'll often see "derived from Leonardite" on most Humic Acid products. Leonardite is a very poor source. BioAg also uses a cold enzymatic extraction process where most companies use heat to extract which destroys much of what we are looking for out of humic or fulvic acid materials.

I know for a fact that the BioAg Fulvic acid product "FulPower" works on assisting older seeds to germinate. I don't use it on all germinations But highly recommend it when germinating old seeds.

J

• Like Like x 2
  17. Isn't this the stuff they use to hermie plants to make fem seeds?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thanks so much for the info Jerry! Always wicked informative and helpful. Looks like I'll be getting me a bottle of FulPower.

Sent via THC injection.

• Like Like x 1