Carolina Reaper

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Vee, Jul 4, 2020.

1. You don't need reapers for that :confused_2:

2. Many of my friends are not fond of even the mildest hot food, but I point out like with gym users,
    its all in the Endomorphines, the thrill in the head if you like,
    very little to do with the burnt tongue etc

Indeed come time to add my Carolina Reaper to the fry pan, its no more than a snip with the sissors,
    a half an inch at the most ...but hey I'm no Mexican ...lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. You do if you like spicy food man lol, if you throw a reaper just onto a piece of chicken you're not going to taste shit but reaper.. but if you was to mix the reaper in with a chilli/curry ect you'll taste the heat as well as everything else :confused_2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. #24 GorillaGherkin, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Oh yeah i see it now

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. While I agree about balancing spices, I can easily see these gut grenades taking over a dish. I’ve had jalapeños and red pepper overdone in dishes and it ruins them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I’m still starting seeds trying to get some growing. The peppers are stubborn this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. C63D6BEB-4077-4A37-A03C-83A6F0A1334D.jpeg Finally got a couple to germ. Looking forward to watching them progress but ain’t gonna eat em.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Kiwi furry brown green things I tried and died ...

I even cheated and bought a pack but got found out by my babe

lesson learnt

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Water Deficit Affects the Accumulation of Capsaicinoids in Fruits of Capsicum chinense Jacq.

Abstract
    The pungency of chili peppers is conferred by compounds called capsaicinoids that are produced only in the fruits of the Capsicum genus. Accumulation of capsaicinoids in these fruits may be affected by environmental conditions such as water and nutrient stresses, although these effects may vary even among genotypes within a species. The Habanero pepper (Capsicum chinense Jacq.), grown in the Yucatán, is in especially high demand as a result of its unique flavor, aroma, and pungency and is the second most important commercial crop in the state after the tomato. Although the Habanero pepper is a significant economic resource for the region, few studies have investigated the effects of abiotic stresses on capsaicinoid production. In this study, the effects of water stress on plant growth, capsaicinoid accumulation, and capsaicin synthase activity were evaluated. Habanero pepper plants under water stress had a lower height, root dry weight, and root/shoot relation than control plants, which were irrigated daily. However, fruit growth and production were unaffected by water stress. Capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin concentrations increased in fruits of stressed plants compared with control plants, and this effect was correlated with fruit age. However, capsaicin synthase activity was reduced in response to water stress, and this effect depended on both stress severity and fruit age. These results provide new information on the regulation of capsaicinoid metabolism in response to abiotic stress from the fruit of a highly pungent chili pepper.
    download here

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. There was a discussion on here somewhere last year about water stress and weed. I only know to limit water on Cantaloupe near harvest to keep the fruit from being watery, which doesn’t really bug me either way.
    I only report this from one season so I’m not saying it’s fact but I ran some jalapeños on into November a few years back and when the cool hit, they produced like crazy. I’m not saying the weather did it and would welcome any input.

11. I’ve got my Reaper plant indoors and dormant (I hope) at the moment. I’ll be starting more seeds soon and hoping for a good run of peppers all the way around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. for me as soon as I get some space I drop in a couple of CR's
    so far I've kept one running now over 2 years on its 2nd bloom admitting less flowers tho

• Like Like x 1
  13. I’m just waiting on some better weather and I’ll be dropping some.

• Like Like x 2
  14. #34 Digger, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    Last year i planted a Habanero plant and ran into an issue Vostok, i couldn't get any fruit to set. The flowers & stems would just drop off.

I thought it was due to a lack of pollination so i planted these 2,
    20211014_072102.jpg

Well same exact bloody problem again. I've been hand pollinating these 2 and they aren't setting fruit either. 2 year's of La Nina with less than mild Summer's so im leaning to the Summer's just not being hot enough for them to set fruit.

The same with my Crepe Myrtle tree i haven't been able to get the seed pods to set. After flowering the pods have just been dropping off over the last 2 LaNina Summer's.

That's all i can think it can be, soil, watering, fertiliser & ph is all fine:confused_2:.

15. From a couple of years ago, I managed a bumper crop of Red Ghost Peppers. Likely to revisit them this year as I've just started reworking the insane amount of containers for my outdoor efforts.
    IMG_20181003_131334.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. you should be fine with the Gonads in full bloom? I too used to buy my chilli in little pots but theirs greater awards by buying fancy chillies in the supermarket and sourcing those seeds, you get to taste the flesh too before germing lol.
    scoville.jpg
    it all started telling a friend Im interested in chilii I checked out some species on Wikipedia
    then lo and behold the hottest Carolina Reaper(above)was in my local supermarket gave them a go and never looked back, but Im constant playing catchup with those Texans who have a huge range,

the flower room is low now so I've got 5 chilies and 1 cocktail tomato tree all in 10 litre pots, 1 with an invasion of aphids going top spread, of and 12 thc Bombs auto at about 2 weeks old, but the aphids like the chili so much I don't fear the contamination ...crazy little fuckers they are!(trying to kill them)
    flowers are fragile as I've found my CR's are getting 20 hours light per day, same with the bomb autos and tomato all are long day plants that's worth noting along with my Spanish strawberries its taken a while for the penny to drop here ...only grow long day plants or autoflowers fits in well here ...cheers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

• Like Like x 1
  17. Have you ever grown one where the fruit just wouldn't set due to flower drop? Just gonna leave these two in the ground, so that's 3 plants at $10 each and not a single peice of fruit from them.

Has to be temperature related, can't really be anything else. Emoji of me scratching my head n' arse. Lol...

18. I had that problem with a mature carolina reaper plant i had started from seed, it was grown in a pot and would get dozens of flowers only for them to drop. I tried self polination as well and didnt do a thing, my summers are consistent 90-100 degrees. I even overwintered her to only run into the same issue the next year, go figure. I have multiple ghost/habanero/reapers in the ground this year and hoping they fruit, my jalepenos never have issues

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Sorry for the late reply Digga's both been lazy & busy, sometimes both at the same time. Lol...

Yeah im stumped on what's happening, think i have like 4 fruits on each plant & everything else has just fallen off em. I've grown habanero's once a long time ago i don't eat chillies but i do like growing things & that plant was full of fruit.

I think I'll save the seed out of the 2 and grow them in pots next season. Winter's just around the corner hey, wouldn't mind being in the Northern Hemisphere atm:thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 1