Carefully planning a grow op

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Zikamirii, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Hello cannabis users and growers. I am new to the site, and new to cultivating cannabis. First off i want to mention, this is more so of an experiment than anything. I am only going to attempt to grow one plant. I have many questions that hopefully will all be able to be answered. 

My designated grow room has no outlets. It has one light fixture on the ceiling with a light switch. First question is lighting. I know during the flowering stage of the plant, recommended lighting consists of 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark with a 100-500 watt bulb, right? And because I'm living in a house with my mother, i don't want to continually walk into the secured room and keep flipping the switch on and off for months. Are there light bulbs you can program to automatically come on and off on the market? Would this lighting idea be recommended? (Im short on cash) 

Second question is plant smell. I know it depends on the strain and size of the plant, but in a closet with a locked door growing a single plant of some average mids smell up the whole second floor of my house? Or would it be roughly contained in the grow room? 

As for watering, i was thinking about getting one or a few watering globes to stick in the soil. Has anyone used these when cultivating cannabis? 

What kind of soil is best for growing? Im new to horticulture and im not sure what i should be looking for exactly. I do live a mile or two away from a nursery so i should have a wide variety. 

I already know how to germinate, start the grow, dry, trim and cure. Is there more i should know about? I need as much helpful information as possible to start this grow op. 

Hope to hear from you guys soon! 

2. It will stink. The whole place will reek, especially when you harvest but also especially before too.

Never seen a timer that plugs directly into a light fitting.  If you're limited by that, you will have a hard time getting suitable bulbs that fit, and having them at a suitable distance without being able to control the height of the light.  100w is all very well but if it's 1m away it's barely there at all.

Cannabis is a plant that doesn't like being wet, so loading it up with watering globes is not a good idea. You can not set it and forget it, they need checking at least once every 1-2 days.

Doesn't sound like a good setup for growing :/

3. Please do not grow in your moms house.  If she hasn't given you permission that is extremely disrespectfull.  You realize she could get in as much trouble as you if not in a legal state.  I also think you should research this more.  Do you even know what kind of light to use?  And even "mids" will stink like hell.  Smell is the part noobs seriously underestimate.  If you have never smelt it first hand I can't even convey to you how much a flowering mj plant smells.

4. You've got a lot to learn before you grow anything - like not doing it in someone's house without their permission.

After that you can brush up on your soil science, electricity, and so on. Plenty of info right at your fingertips around here.

5. #5 GoldGrower, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015

This simply isn't going to work. Not even close. The plant will have certain requirements and the set up you are suggesting cannot provide those. 

you can get timers for pendant lights. They are for people that go on holiday but want the lights to come on and off to deter burglars. But it won't work for you. You need air to come in to the room and be exhausted, you need a proper fan for this.

you need electrical sockets, it really can't be done with just the room light. Can you not run an extension in there? It may be worth getting an electrician to wire in some sockets anyway, the money you will save from not having to buy bud will easily cover it in time 

Without a carbon filter it will stink out your entire house no problem, honestly, you won't want to open the door to the mailman because he will smell it 

6. Okay everyone. I get it. Its a no go i presume. It was a very skeptical plan to begin with. I respect all your answers, although it would of been nice to have some more kind responses, as i am fucking new to this. im just trying to figure out a plan so that i can have easy access to the cannabis we all know and love. I live on the east coast of the united states in a shit town in the middle of nowhere. so im not as fortunate as the rest of you all by having all this knowledge. Im just tired of paying 50 dollars for a crappy 3 grams. Im trying here. so positive answers and responses are much appreciated. 

7. #7 GoldGrower, Feb 19, 2015
    you can take it as positive or negative, it depends how you look at it. You seem to think other growers are fortunate to already know what they know, but this is unfair because they worked for it. Everyone starts off knowing nothing and they put the effort in to learn.

You say you live in the middle of nowhere, have you thought about growing outdoors? It won't be long before it spring time and you can get some autos started to finish just 10 weeks after they germinate.

Growing indoors is a lot easier than guerrilla growing though. Are you trying to hide the grow from someone who lives in the same house as you? That would be extremely difficult because growing indoors is either very noisy or very smelly

8. Im sorry im just frustrated. And i really respect your input to all of this. Yes, i am trying to hide it from my parents (Im 19). So if it stinks like everyone says it does, indoors is definitely not an option. I live up north on the east coast, so only spring/summer would work.. ive done alot of research on indoor growing and outdoor growing seems so risky cause of weather changes and pests. it just seems like it would fail very soon. I am very ignorant when it comes to horticulture and plants, ill admit. but im trying to learn. i want support here, not people bashing me, it makes me feel like shit. im trying to teach myself all of this and its really rough. im trying to find tutors and people who are willing to help me in my situation. Theres not alot of pot smokers where i live, thats why ive came to an online forum. I dont understand how electricity and lightbulbs work, i dont understand how plants work, i dont understand any of that. but ive been really hard on myself trying to learn. i came to "absolute beginners" forums thinking i could find help, so can someone work with me? 

9. #9 NEFarmer, Feb 19, 2015
    Go find a spot in the middle of the woods plant some autos call it a day.
    Guerilla growing can be fun and veryy rewarding.

Now that you've already figured out you can't grow inside your only option is outdoors, what questions do you specifically have?
    Hard to help if you're looking for a wide array of everything, we need specifics we need to figure out what you know what you don't know to get you going on the right track.
    I'm on the East Coast also and I am gearing up for this years outdoor season.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

NEF

10. #10 killset, Feb 19, 2015
    Nobody is bashing you, they're just giving you the truth. Pick up some books and start reading. Read through grass city forums and stickies also, every bit of info you need is already posted. It would take someone writing a book, to give you all the info needed. Good thing is those books and all the growing guides on here already exist, so nobody needs to write them again. When you have questions come back and ask to fill in the gaps, specific questions.

11. Alright, thankyou all. Ill do my research to the best of my ability. i will probably come back with more questions, but im glad i found a knowledgeable community. Ill post again soon in this forum. Thanks everyone. Sorry for the harshness, i just have a short fuse. 

12. #12 GoldGrower, Feb 19, 2015
    I think the best advice I can give you right now is take your time when you're learning the basics. Rush it and you will get muddled and overwhelmed by the amount of stuff you need to know. I'm sure you will feel a bit more confident after a few days of reading up. Check out some of the threads in the journal section, many people put photos up of their grow and its far easier to visualize it when you have photos to go off.

There are pitfalls to overcome whether you are growing indoors or outdoors, at least with growing outside you are less likely to get caught. Do you have mountains and areas were you could go and see no one all day? A clearing in a wood that is sited on a south facing hill or mountain would be a great start

13. Finding a decent spot might be rough. I live in a small town, but we are pretty secluded. The only thing im worried about is growing on someones property, and im worried about people seeing me and my car if i park near the site. I do have mountians and some areas with really tall grass and trees. 

14. Consider finding some dense thicket or brambles or something that you can crawl into and make a clearing.  Hard work, but it's a natural barrier to people just stumbling upon your patch.  You want to clear enough space to plant 3-5 autos probably, there's a chance one or two might not make it for whatever reason so planting just one is a bit of a risk.

I recommend that you take a look at the Outdoor Growing forum and really have a search for the longer threads where people have done grow journals/logs/diaries and guerilla grows. Go back a year or two! just scan through topics and threads until you see something interesting then look more closely.  You'll get some ideas and tips on where to look for good sites, how to prepare the soil and protect your plants, and then you can keep that in mind when you go out looking for potential sites.

However, there is also the problem of drying/curing. That is extremely smelly, and needs to be done in a dark, cool, dry place, so you'll need to have a plan for that also.

15. No one said it would be easy lol, if it were really easy then everyone would do it. You are better off gearing up like you are going for a hike. Park up and go for a hike, walk a few miles off the beaten track. Find somewhere hard to get to. The easier it is to get to the more likely someone is going to stumble across it.

Unless you are very lucky you will have to amend the soil. What to use depends on the soil you have there.

Pests are a big consideration, are there sheep, dear, rabbits, stuff like that. Also slugs, snails, caterpillars. When growing outdoors the environment will be individual to you so you must be aware that what someone else does in their outdoor grow may not be necessary in yours.

If other plants are growing well nearby it's a good sign. You want dryish, well drained soil. if the soil is wet all the time it's no good. the soil quality doesn't matter so much because you can bring your own amendments to make it more suitable

16. You don't want an easy spot, if its easy for you, its easy for others to hike right on through