Careers in Physics?

Discussion in 'General' started by HeaDiEs RusH, Sep 27, 2011.

1. I'm considering changing my current major from Geology to something that I have a bit more passion for. I've always found Physics to be very interesting, and I would consider majoring in it, but I'm not sure I can expect to find any real jobs with a Physics degree. It seems like a fairly general and pointless major where I won't be able to do much else besides teach. However, I realize that I'm probably wrong, so please enlighten me blades! I would love to major in Physics as long as I can expect a real future in it.

2. You could do stuff with, building shit. Like, buildings, and shit like that.

3. Engineering?

4. #5 AHAZIAH, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
    I am a Student of BS(Physics) currently in 5th semester and I know that the career of physics is so bright and the coming future there are also lots of opportunities for Physics because it use almost used in every field even in Doctors life too.

5. Hear about that particle test recently that went faster than the speed of light?

6. Physics is very interesting and I love reading the discoveries being made about it. But physics was never my cup of tea, I really preferred Chemistry. Not that I'd really consider a career in either.

7. With just a BS in Physics, you won't be able to do much that's directly related to physics. With a PhD, you'd be able to do research and be a part of some pretty cool, groundbreaking shit if you play your cards right.

I worked at Aerospace for a summer, and one of the employees there had just a BS in Physics. He was a VERY respected programmer, but didn't have any formal training in computer science, he had just learned it all himself.

I'd maybe suggest an engineering degree. You'll have to take quite a few physics classes and if you're a civil/structural/industrial/mechanical/systems engineer, you'll do a lot of physics based stuff at work.

8. #9 greenmnster_, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    He's right, I'm a semester away from graduating with my BS in mechanical engineering, I took physics one and two back in my freshmen year.

Have you considered maybe a double major? Get some kind of engineering with a physics and you would have a better chance of a job outside of teaching and research.

9. Engineering is basically the application of physics and other disciplines, and there will never be a job shortage for engineers. It pays well and is interesting and diverse.

Think about it.

10. Yea I've always considered engineering, but it's a hell of a lot of hard work. I suppose physics is too, but engineering has created quite a name for itself. And to reply to thewarden, I wouldn't mind going for a PhD in physics because I was planning on going for a PhD in geology. I guess geology and physics are similar due to the fact that you pretty much need a PhD to be anybody. The only problem is, I've heard that earning a PhD in physics is pretty damn difficult.

Damn, why do I have to decide this shit now? *slams head against wall*

11. Do you have to decide it now? I don't see why you can't just take some time to think about it.

12. Because the longer I wait the bigger the hole I dig myself into. Time doesn't wait anybody, unfortunately.

13. haha geology joke! i get it! :wave::):smoke:

14. Hahaha I wasn't attempting to make a pun, but that is actually a really good one. :smoke:

15. #16 hippie flip, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    I had a similar question and talked to some Physics students and they said most people don't end up getting a career in Physics (in the traditional sense) some go on to do stuff closely related to engineering, some even do stuff like programming or banking. It's not a bad degree at all, but you will find it hard to become a Physicist unless you want to work at a University.

I'm currently stuck on deciding between a Chemistry, Biochemistry or Physics degree...help.