career as a chef

Discussion in 'General' started by Chaohinon, Apr 11, 2007.

1. First off, before I'm told that this isn't really the place to be asking for this sort of information, I've already been scouring google and haven't come up with much data other than wage demographics. Plus, I need to see the more personal side of the story, not just books written by world famous cooks.

So, it's about time that I start taking a serious look at what I'd like to do in my future, and I'm fairly certain that I'm going to focus on taking up a career in the culinary arts. Of course, not everything in this life is certain, so I'd like to ask any GC members who have experience in this field to provide me with some information, advice, and general accounts on what they think of cooking as a full time career (especially the ones that have settled on it as a permant career choice).

- How important is formal education? I've known guys that were simply trained by preceeding chefs and never attended school, and still received decent pay. Considering my financial and academic situation, I'd like to steer clear of college if at all possible, but that's not at all set in stone. Will restaurants typically turn away applicants who haven't been to culinary school, even if their skills, experience, and knowledge are significant?

- How is the pay, from the beginning on up? Can an experienced chef make a solid living without having to own/manage their own restaurant? (aside from overseeing typical cooking details, of course)

- Benefits?

- Are any restaurants known for drug testing?

Thank you.

2. I only cook at a par time job, nothing to fancy

3. Hey bro,whats up?Are you from canada?because if you were,I could help you out with schools and such,you will never make any kind of money without your papers.I love cooking,I run a kitchen in a private golf club from may 1 - oct 15. And in the off season I do catering.Its a great life.Oh and,I have met few chefs that didnt toke.I have never had to get tested.It is alot of work,its really a labour of love.(chicks dig it too!!)The pay when you start to be honest is not that great,Restaurants are the least successful businesses out there unless you really know your stuff and how to cut overhead and food cost.Once you get your ticket and some good training,there is a very good possibility of making between 50,000-120,000 a year!

4. Hey man, I am currently attending culinary school and i love it. I m looking for an intership now for the summer. But yo if i were you i will definetly try to attend school. The school usually sets u up with some connections, and i always thought i knew so much... compared to the other kids i did but you will learn so much more... thats why i suggest you go to school.

The pay idk it matters where you go. u really wont get a cook job if you dont have some sort of training. they might prefer u start off as a dishwasher. And even being a dishwasher isn't bad, i offered that to one of the chefs i met becuz he has the nicest restaraunt in new jersey. So as long as you love the field u'll have a good time.

5. The thing is, though, I've already been trained to make the selection of meals/desserts/appetizers at my aunt's restaurant, hence why I'm thinking perhaps a little presumptuously as far as starting off the official career.

I should have asked this in the OP...do culinary schools, at least as far as you've experienced, entail the same sort of entrance requirements that other colleges and universities do?