Cardoso, Gavira, Zedillo: 'DECRIMINALIZE IT'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Former Latin American Presidents Urge Obama to Decriminalize Marijuana

WWOD?

2. A step in the right direction for sure. But I don't think that if cannabis were decriminalized that it would reduce cartel violence. Because then it would only be 1 out of 5 or 6 products that are decriminalized for the cartels.

3. Nothing to gripe over here, but if these presidents support Marijuana decriminalization, why did they not do it in there own countries?

It just seems fishy.

4. its a shame that obama advocated FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE so much during the campaign, only to disappoint on matters like this

5. Probably in fear of being branded terrorists by the US, losing all their grants from us.

6. WHAT?! no matter what, teens never had problems getting drugs unless it was legal usage and age restriction.

7. Yeah that just doesn't make sense. If anything when you regulate a substance, like alcohol, it makes it more difficult, but not impossible, for under age users to obtain. But I seriously doubt Argentina will pass any decrim. legislation. We'll see.

8. as a latino, i know that in our culture it's a major offense to engage in any kind of drug-related activity, with the exception of alcohol and tabbacco. people all over the world will always consume all types of drugs but in these latin american countries the percentage of consumers would be surprisingly low due to such feudal taboos and high costs for narcotics, meaning that a vast majority of the money these countries make on drugs come from exports. decriminalizing marijuana in the US won't end drug cartels but it would definately weaken them and if we treated every other narcotics problem as a health issue it would allow for a decrease in consumption of those other substances. also the, hypothetically, already legal bud would serve as kind of a buffer zone so that future generations dont really feel the need to consume harder drugs.