Cardboard box?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Pickels, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Has anyone tried to use a cardboard box for the growbox? i mean, after it's got the lights, vents etc in there, is it practical?

2. im using a box cut up from a tv as a light blocking door and separation of my closet. seems to be working well. heat would be an issue though IN a cardboard box. i would only test it if you maintain low heat levels near the box. wouldnt want to start a fire would ya? lol

3. Thanks for the reply, i was just wandering as i have a 2ftWx4ftHx1ftD cardboard box, and i'm finding it hard to get a box with practically no money D:
    Although i'm contemplating turning my dresser into a grobox... XD

4. my setup is actually in my pantry closet. i know that sounds funny. but the other apt in my building have the closet on the opposite side so its a bed room closet. in mine its my kitchen pantry. i do however love the dead space. i have enough cabinets to not need the pantry so iused it. actual dimentions are 21wx21dx58h i have 3 in veg now but plan on keeping the best 2 or one if size gets to be an issue. a dresser if converted properly can totally be worth the effort and quite stealth as well. lesson one make sure your grow area is light proof!!! lol

5. As i type this i just ripped the draws out of my dresser for inspection, there's a few small cracks and holes, but nothing a good few screws and filler couldn't fix ;)
    Although i'm worrying about the height, it's not that big, i only plan to have 2 plants in there, and i saw a method to keep plant height down but also not stopping any growth, like LST, but as the main stem grows, the plant is again tied down, and eventually tied and forced into a spiral shape, i might try this.

6. It works but is not very efficient. For a while my entire growroom was cardboard and panda paper. [​IMG]

7. panda paper?

8. panda film, and that right there is epic.. a real do it yourselfer... fuckin awesome

I would never encourage anyone to use cardboard... it is a fire hazard, but i myself have used it.. i was in a pinch when some company came to town and i had to have my light on... so i jammed the whole thing into a large box that i tricked out with some reflective foil tape... very expensive i might add... bet that box cost me 20 bucks in upgraddes... the DD is for a double dose of pimpin, but the foil tape helped me feel better about having a fire source very close to a bright light

it also molds rather easy if wet... another reason i taped the whole inside of the box.. and it traps heat rather quickly, or my version did

spend five dollars and get a tent:smoke:

9. Where can I buy the panda film at? seen it in some vids but havent seen it in stores.

10. cardboard doesnt ignite until a few hundred degrees lol

wouldnt worry about it if your using CFL's

11. its all fun and games till you burn the house down with the dog trapped inside...

keep the jokes coming... invest in a tent..

local hydro stores have panda film

12. people like to exagerate
    ignition temperature of paper is 451 degrees Fahrenheit, or 233 degrees Celsius

the heat from a few CFL's or T5s isnt going to cause it to catch fire

13. well it seems i cannot find one single report of a fire because of a cardboard box grow...

build away...

nice point about the ignition point of cardboard being so high...

i've cooked biscuits at a campground in a box lined with foil.. seems plausable that you could grow in it