Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Carcinogens in marjiuna; Yes or No

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by WEEirDo, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Now, I use to think it did before I started smoking, but after a lot of research I was almost positive it didnt. I backed this up with a few facts like, It hasnt been proven that HEAVY marijuana use leads to lung cancer.

After reading a thread on here about resin, I started to google carcinogens and marijuana, and it seemed to be 50/50 on the subject.

Now if it does so called have 5-7x more carcinogens then tobacco, then how the fuck is there no connections what so ever. Ive only read one article in where it says something like "The THC counters the carcinogens and neutralizes them, and in a way even acts like a weak anti cancer"

The only reason I really want a definitive answer is for debates and when someone asks me, normally I say no, or something along the lines of, you dont have to worry about it.

2. sure it has carcinogens in it, but so does everything u burn pretty much
    who cares its proven safe and if ur concerned use a vape or edibles i dont prefer these methods but they work for many people

3. Personally I dont care and im still gonna smoke when ever and how ever much I want, but like I said I just would like to know 100% :rolleyes:

4. Yes it does, Anything That you light on fire will emit Carcinogens and they can be hazardous to your health, any kind of smoke entering your lungs is obviously not good for them and will cause damage.

The best way to elminate this, is by Vaporizing.

5. It does have carcinogens, HOWEVER, there has NEVER been a documented case of lung cancer caused by marijuana smoke. THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids have anti-tumor forming properties.

6. weed is weed...i smoke it to get high...thats all

i dont care whats in it.... it didnt stop me before..

wont stop me now

7. There are carcinogens in cannabis smoke. That doesn't mean it causes cancer though. There are other factors involved, such as the expectorant and anti-tumor properties of THC and other cannabinoids.

Toke on :smoking:

8. #8 Azureblue, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
    Vaping FTW!

When you vaporize you are not combusting the plant material. No combustion, no potential for carcinogens (or more accurately: very little combustion, very little potential for carincogens).

9. Should have put a spot in the poll for "Unknown", because IMO that is the correct answer. There still just hasn't been enough study to know.

For those to jump so quick on the YES because of the combustion of plant material should also be reminded that the word "carcinogen" suggest cancer forming and or promoting substances present. (Never been proven using marijuana smoke to my knowledge.) If so please link me to said proof.

Carcinogen
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    \tLook up carcinogen in
    Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

The hazard symbol for carcinogenic chemicals in the Globally Harmonized System.
    The term carcinogen refers to any substance, radionuclide or radiation that is an agent directly involved in the promotion of cancer or in the increase of its propagation. This may be due to the ability to damage the genome or to the disruption of cellular metabolic processes. Several radioactive substances are considered carcinogens, but their carcinogenic activity is attributed to the radiation, for example gamma rays and alpha particles, which they emit. Common examples of carcinogens are inhaled asbestos, certain dioxins, and tobacco smoke.
    Cancer is a disease where damaged cells of the patient's body do not undergo programmed cell death, but their growth is no longer controlled and their metabolism is altered. Carcinogens may increase the risk of getting cancer by altering cellular metabolism or damaging DNA directly in cells, which interferes with biological processes, and induces the uncontrolled, malignant division, ultimately leading to the formation of tumors. Usually DNA damage, if too severe to repair, leads to programmed cell death, but if the programmed cell death pathway is damaged, then the cell cannot prevent itself from becoming a cancer cell.
    There are many natural carcinogens. Aflatoxin B1, which is produced by the fungus Aspergillus flavus growing on stored grains, nuts and peanut butter, is an example of a potent, naturally-occurring microbial carcinogen. Certain viruses such as Hepatitis B and human papilloma viruses have been found to cause cancer in humans. The first one shown to cause cancer in animals is Rous sarcoma virus, discovered in 1910 by Peyton Rous.
    Benzene, kepone, EDB, asbestos, and the waste rock of oil shale mining have all been classified as carcinogenic.[citation needed] As far back as the 1930s, industrial smoke and tobacco smoke were identified as sources of dozens of carcinogens, including benzo[a]pyrene, tobacco-specific nitrosamines such as nitrosonornicotine, and reactive aldehydes such as formaldehyde-which is also a hazard in embalming and making plastics. Vinyl chloride, from which PVC is manufactured, is a carcinogen and thus a hazard in PVC production.
    Co-carcinogens are chemicals that do not necessarily cause cancer on their own, but promote the activity of other carcinogens in causing cancer.
    After the carcinogen enters the body, the body makes an attempt to eliminate it through a process called biotransformation. The purpose of these reactions is to make the carcinogen more water-soluble so that it can be removed from the body. But these reactions can also convert a less toxic carcinogen into a more toxic one.
    DNA is nucleophilic, therefore soluble carbon electrophiles are carcinogenic, because DNA attacks them. For example, some alkenes are toxicated by human enzymes to produce an electrophilic epoxide. DNA attacks the epoxide, and is bound permanently to it. This is the mechanism behind the carcinogenity of benzo[a]pyrene in tobacco smoke, other aromatics, aflatoxin and mustard gas.

So my answer is UNKOWN.

10. I put no because it is not enought to matter. hell there is carcinogens in your goddamn bowl of cereal (unless you buy organic) so whatever I don't sweat it.

11. From what I know even peanut butter has carcinogens in it. I think this subject needs to be cleared up much more. The only place you hear the word "carcinogens" is 99% with cigs, but the thing is, cigs have numerous other hazardous materials in them that may increase the potency of the carcinogens, and this may be why there are no cases with marijuana because there are no unnatural or added substances when smoking it.

I didnt use any cited facts in my theory, just reasoning.

12. #12 VivaLaDan, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    Carcinogens relate directly to smoke most of the time, most of all smoke contains it.

Eating marijuana has no carcinogens, vaporizing it has very little to none depending on the quality.

Carcinogens =/= cancer anyway.
    Smoking anything is not good for your health. You get tar from anything you smoke, how ever there are no real known reports of black lung desiese amoungst people who only smoke pot, but these result vary depending on the legitimacy/ honestly of the person being observed.

I smoked for a good year, everyday of some nugs (when i could afford it with a job) without every smoking a cigarette and rarely drinking, and I could run a mile in about 6 minutes. Not very good, but not bad for how often a toke and how not often i run.
    I started smoking cigarettes in the fall, i notice a big difference in breathing/ ability to exert myself.

13. #13 BigTrees, May 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
    Some of the misinformation in these threads should be written down and passed off as humerous at later dates

for straight cash
    cuz its gold

our friend wikipedia will let us know about carcinogens

in a nutshell, they cause, start, or help the process by which cells mutate into cancerous cells

how do we know if someting is carcinogenic?

we run a controlled experiment

we take a subject

lets call him labby the rat
    and expose him to carcinogens (a known or suspected carcinogen)
    then we take another lab rat
    and we expose him to sugar pills (a sugar pill, known or suspected :p )

we do this with all their little rat buddies, splitting them down the middle and giving one sugar pills and exposing the other to carcinogens

if the rats show hightened rats of cancer the material is looked into further (for being a carcinogen)

isn't science grand?

oh and i forgot the only important part of the post

thc is generally considered to be more than likely non-carconogenic in the scientific community. (and the community with a greater level of expertise on the subject.. the chronic weed smokers)

its never been known to cause cancer

that being said there are a buttload of other chemicals in trees
    some trees have more chemicals added to the process than others
    if you grow your own trees you can be nearly 100% certain that there arent carcinogens in your trees, or at least that would be the notion supported by the communities.
    as long as you arent adding cancer chemmies to your trees you're probably carcinogen free, at least according to the collective efforts of public and private science.

they could be wrong and we might all die tomorrow!

its impossible to garantee that your marijuana is free of carcinogens if you dont grow them yourself

but then again you can say the same thing about your ham sandwich
    after all it could be laced with plutonium!

14. Carcinogens are found in substances that are burned. Therefore, cannabis does indeed have them. However, as said before, due to its expectorant and anti-cancer/tumor properties, it becomes neutralized. If you are more health conscious, consider vaporizing as an almost none-carcinogenic alternative.