Carbs make you fat?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by budsmokn420, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Alright guys, time for shit to get real. I'm actually a certified health coach, I graduated from NYU last year with a degree in nutrition and I'm going to give you all something to think about.

The key thing to realize when discussing diet is BIO-INDIVIDUALITY! Everyone is different! Some people can handle a completely vegan lifestyle, whereas the same diet will make others very sick. Type O blood type are the people who can most easily go completely vegan. Almost every culture around the world includes some form of meat in their diets, the longest living/healthiest cultures are mainly centered around sea food and sea vegetables.

It does take a LOT of nutritional know-how to attempt a completely vegan diet, and one will almost certainly have to supplement with some form of fish oil for proper amounts of omega-3's.

Personally the healthiest diet I've come across and the one I recommend the most is the "zone diet", which suggests a 40/30/30 ratio. (carbs/protein/fats). As others have also states, it's not so much the ratio that's important, it's the SOURCE of the carbs/proteins etc. You want to get your carbs first and foremost from fresh leafy greens and vegetables (lettuce, spinach, broccoli, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, etc). The rest of the carbs should come from a balanced variety of fruits and veggies, optimally whatever is fresh, local, and in season. The protein sources I recommend highest are eggs (great source of fat&vitamins), fish, chicken, and all forms of beans. Red meat is fine to eat 1-2 times a week, obviously organic free range is the best.

For fats what I recommend to most people is to add a splash of olive oil or coconut oil to every meal. Fats are extremely important not only for hormone regulation but also for VITAMIN ABSORPTION. Almost all vitamins are fat-soluble, which means if you're not getting enough fats that meal, all those good vitamins from the fruits and veggies are going to be pissed right out.

Hope this helped but this stuff into perspective, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. :smoke:

2. I have also studied in biochemistry at the university of Calgary. Just to let you know that we are a little different but we are not all that different. Remember we are after all the same species ;)

3. It's true though, that people need different amounts of calories. Lots of different factors go into figuring out your maintnence calories. Weather on your weight, age, sex, fitness level etc. 60-70 % of your calories are burnt up through your BMR, or basal metabolic rate. Thats pretty much the calories you need just to lay their in bed all day and do nothing and breathe. These calories are consumed by basic metabolic activity's like breathing, growing hair, making spit, and tissue repair. About 70% of your calories go to that. Another 10-15 % of your calories go to digestion, taking in and breaking down your food and then converting it into energy. The amount of calories will depend on how big you are, how much you eat etc... Now about 15% of your calories are burnt up doing basic movements like walking,talking, answering phones, picking up things etc..... now that leaves about 10-15 % of your calories that you need to burn up through exercise. This number might be a little less depending on how much you eat but we dont need to exercise that much to maintain a healthy weight. Remember 100 extra calories a day is 10 pounds gained in a year. 100 calories is nothing, thats like eating 1 extra apple or having 1 extra light beer a day and you will gain 10 pounds in that year. Remember their is 3500 calories in 1 pound of fat, so 100 times 365= 36500, 3500 times 10= 35000. People gain weight slowly because they are not burning off those extra few calories that they eat making them gain weight over the years. It's not like they are overeating only consuming a extra 100-200 calories a day. That's why i always say weight loss is a slow process for 95% of chubby or fat people out their.

4. Yeah, that's why I still gave some general guidelines, but we really are all VERY different. Different metabolisms, different dietary needs, we all process proteins/fats/and carbs in different ways. Bio-individuality is really key when you're dealing with diet.

And also I can't believe I forgot to mention nuts and seeds! Vital form of natural good fats and protein, I like sunflower seeds the best. Walnuts+Almonds :D

5. The way i got that 3500 number is because if you eat 3500 calories above your normal calories you will gain 1 pound of fat. You can look it up but 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories. 100 extra calories a day means 10 pounds gained in a year.

6. Again its calories in and calories out that matters in terms of weight gain and weight loss. It doesn't matter what kinda diet you are on. If someone only ate Mcdonald's everyday and if they ate less calories then they burned up they would lose weight. This is harder to do because usually Mcdonalds has higher fat content foods which means the person would need to eat less of that food since fat has 9 calories per gram compared to carbs and proteins with only 4 calories per gram. Now im not saying this is a healthy thing to do but you could still lose fat eating Mcdonald's.

7. This is why i laugh at bodybuilder's that cut carbs to get leaner before a show. Why cut the calories from the most important source lol? When they cut carbs all they are cutting calories making them get leaner before a show. They would feel better and get better results if they just cut down their protein and fat intake and keep the carbs where they were at. Thats why people say bodybuilders are at their weakest on stage because they have cut all their calories from the carbs they were eating leaving them extremely weak and tired. Carbs are SO important for everyone. That's the body's main source of fuel. If you don't take in enough carbs your liver will convert protein into carbs to help run your body. So if your body is not getting carbs and is taking protein and converting it into carbs you are not getting enough carbs and not getting enough protein aswell since your body is converting the protein into carbs. This will lead you to diabetes. Thats why i always laugh at people on low carbs diets trying to lose weight. They will lose weight simply because the calories from the carbs are no longer their meaning they are consuming less calories = fat loss. When i want to get super lean i cut out fats first since fats have 9 calories per gram so cutting out fats is the easiest way to cut calories. Then i cut down on some of my protein and maybe i cut down a little bit on carbs leaving me at a calorie deficit continuing fat loss.

8. Why do i have a feeling you are budsmokn420?