Carbs make you fat?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by budsmokn420, Mar 4, 2012.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uisu5dY3G0&feature=g-all&context=G29928a1FAAAAAAAABAA]RAW FOOD WIEGHT LOSS TIPS : Fruit vs Corn Chips. - YouTube[/ame]

2. You really think the difference between those two people is carbs?

3. lol watch the video

4. #4 hurb1, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
    All i know is weight melted off of me effortlessly when i started eating only tons of grains, fruits and vegetables. And my favorite foods happened to be of the highest carbs like potatoes, garbanzo beans, bananas, dates, raisins. And i did zero exercise outside of the same physical work i always did. So the proof is in the pudding to me. How else did i lose fat? My chubby cheeks i had since birth eating low carb (paleo), gone. lol

5. if u eat a lot of carbs and sit around all day then... yes you will get fat.

but if you are active and excersise regularly then you will be fine.

6. Exactly...any low fat, high carb diet will melt the fat off you. Although, fruit is the best since it is alkaline and the most nutrient dense. Rice and potatoes isn't a terrible second choice, but still you wanna make fruit your number one priority. Personally, I don't like to eat grains period. No bread or pasta.

Not true. You can literally eat UNLIMITED fruit and basically only do light exercise once or twice a week and still melt off the pounds.

7. When you limit carbs on a caloric defecit then your body turns to burning body fat for energy.

8. Why do people who eat HIGH carb and very, very low fat diets have much quicker and better results than people on the paleo/primal/atkins diet? Why do the guys who preach meat and dairy and high fat/protein die of heart disease and are overweight and the high carb low fat raw vegans are the leanest people in the world and produce the fastest results for weight loss...oh yea and WITHOUT calorie restriction...

9. Depends what kind of carbs, when you eat it and how much. If you eat an English muffin before a workout, those are good carbs that will vitalize your energy and get you going. If you sit at home all day and then eat a box of pasta, those are bad carbs.

10. ....could u explain what is not true about my statement?

11. Everybody is different.

Personally, my body does not handle carbs well. I know that if I go above 100 grams a day my body bloats and my brain just feels fuzzy.

However, I have a medical condition which precludes me eating tons of carbs, plus I have Celiac anyway. Grains just don't agree with me.

For pre-workout I have a few handfuls of berries, and that's about it for my carbs everyday, except for fibrous carbs from veggies.

12. Your view of paleo eaters is without sound medical basis.

Those who truly adhere to a paleo way of life are incredibly healthy. This idea that saturated animal fats are bad for you is BS, and has been so since the idea started in the early 1950s.

The only time animal fats are bad for you are when they are in conjunction with large amounts of simple carbohydrates. This includes large amounts of fruit.

While raw vegan eaters may be healthy, to say they're the healthiest is just pure polemical BS.

Primal Lifestyle Good for Your Heart? | Mark's Daily Apple

13. #14 budsmokn420, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    After you eat, most dietary carbs are oxidized by either using immediately for cellular functions or converted to glycogen for storage in the liver and the muscles. When you eat a lot of carbs, more carbs are oxidized. Dietary thermogenesis occurs. The elevation in your blood glucose and the increase in your glycogen stores put the brakes on appetite so you don't eat more than you can use. As a result, glycogen storage in the average person rarely reaches maximum capacity, which is about 1,500 calories from carbs. Balance between carb intake and storage could also occur if excess carbs were stored as fat. It is theoretically possible for this to occur. However, having enough excess carbs to convert to fat would require an extremely high carbs
    intake for several days. Some experts have estimated that an intake of 2,000–2,500 kcal of carbs over several days, after carbs stores were at max, would be required before carbs would be converted to fat which is very, very unlikely since I will bet every person on this board who exercises routinely doesn't have their glycogen stores filled to the max everyday.

Also, if you decreased your carbs intake would this force more fat to be burned? No.

Although the fat in your diet creates a feeling of stomach fullness, fats are overall less satisfying than carbs so you'll eat more. Also, carbs control the rate of fat oxidation and when carb stores run low, fat oxidation slows, meaning without carbs, fat is burned at a much slower rate. Furthermore, fat intake does not stimulate an equal and proportional increase in fat oxidation. When fat oxidation is less than fat intake, fat storage results. And lastly, unlike glycogen, fat stores are not limited in size.

Eating fat will make you fat and eating carbs will make you burn fat. Not the other way around.

Eat fruit like dates, bananas, etc...I don't recommend grains, besides brown rice as a last option. Fruit is alkalizing, low fat, and the most nutrient-dense. You may even want to go on green juices first just to cleanse your system. After that, eat all the fruit in the world and I bet you will be perfectly fine.

LOL you sir are the one without any medical basis. Only 14 subjects and were observed for only 3 weeks?

Here's some science ;)

Water Weight vs. Fat Weight

Great right!? Well, not actually...

14. Celiac does not have anything to do with carbs. Gluten is a protein composite...

Total BS? Watch this first before you keep on preaching about the lack of correlation between animal-derived sources of energy and the number one cause of death in America..

Dr. Sanjay Gupta Reports: The Last Heart Attack

In this hour-long CNN documentary, Sanjay Gupta investigates whether diet and the latest diagnostic tests are enough to prevent every heart attack. During the medical journey of discovery, Dr. Gupta talks to former President Clinton, cutting edge doctors and puts his own heart under the microscope as he offers practical advice and hard science to shows how we could have...The Last Heart Attack.

15. Show me ONE single case of heart disease REVERSED by eating high fat, animal products. Just ONE.

16. #17 Brenjin, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
    Sugar causes insulin spikes. Insulin spikes can obviously lead to insulin sensitivity but they also cause inflammation, and Chronic inflammation can cause a million different problems.

I wouldn't recommend eating as many fruits as this guy does.

17. Eating a raw food diet causes inflammation!? LOL this is the most anti-inflammatory diet in the world. He isn't a fruitarian, that is completely different. You are still consuming dark leafy green herbs.

Eating meat, dairy, grains, beans, and all other processed foods will give you nice case of acidosis which I will assure you will give you inflammation and will cause disease and other health issues.

If this diet causes inflammation and illness and disease, where is the proof? Why are the people who follow this diet world class athletes? Why are they all leaner than anyone else and have the most radiant skin? This is by far the best diet possible. Unless you can give me some real science and some real examples to back it up, your argument has no standing in reality.

18. #19 dariolovesdeb, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Not all sources of sugar are created equal.

WHFoods: Apples

The phytonutrients in apples can help you regulate your blood sugar. Recent research has shown that apple polyphenols can help prevent spikes in blood sugar through a variety of mechanisms. Flavonoids like quercetin found in apples can inhibit enzymes like alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidase. Since these enzymes are involved in the breakdown of complex carbohydrates into simple sugars, your blood sugar has fewer simple sugars to deal with when these enzymes are inhibited. In addition, the polyphenols in apple have been shown to lessen absorption of glucose from the digestive tract; to stimulate the beta cells of the pancreas to secrete insulin; and to increase uptake of glucose from the blood via stimulation of insulin receptors. All of these mechanisms triggered by apple polyphenols can make it easier for you to regulate your blood sugar.

WHFoods: Honey

• Honey may promote better blood sugar control. Proper fueling of the liver is central to optimal glucose metabolism during sleep and exercise. Honey is the ideal liver fuel because it contains a nearly 1:1 ratio of fructose to glucose. Fructose "unlocks" the enzyme from the liver cell's nucleus that is necessary for the incorporation of glucose into glycogen (the form in which sugar is stored in the liver and muscle cells). An adequate glycogen store in the liver is essential to supply the brain with fuel when we are sleeping and during prolonged exercise. When glycogen stores are insufficient, the brain triggers the release of stress hormones—adrenalin and cortisol—in order to convert muscle protein into glucose. Repeated metabolic stress from cortisol produced when less than optimal liver glycogen stores are available during sleep, leads over time, to impaired glucose metabolism, insulin resistance, diabetes, and increased risk for cardiovascular disease and obesity.
    • Experimental evidence indicates that consumption of honey may improve blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity compared to other sweeteners. The body's tolerance to honey is significantly better than to sucrose or glucose alone. Individuals with greater glucose intolerance (e.g., those with mild diabetes and Type 1 diabetes) showed significantly better tolerance to honey than sucrose. In addition, the antioxidants in honey, which have been shown to reduce oxidative stress, frequently by a larger factor than can be explained by their actual amount, may be beneficial for diabetics and help to improve endothelial function (the function of the cells that make up the lining of our blood vessels) and vascular health.
    • In a year-long animal study comparing the effects of sucrose, honey and a low glycemic index (GI) sugar-free diet, rats on the honey-based diet showed: reduced weight gain and percentage of body fat, decreased anxiety, better spatial recognition memory, improved HDL cholesterol (15-20% higher than rats fed sugar or sucrose diets), improved blood sugar levels (HA1c), and reduced oxidative damage.

Processed sugars in your soda and processed white breads are the simple sugars that are going to do the damage and "cause a million different problems".

19. #20 Brenjin, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
    I'm not saying this diet causes these things.

I'm saying it's not the most healthful thing to eat a lot of fruits because of the sugar which causes insulin spikes.

You can't argue that sugar doesnt in fact cause insulin spikes, or that Insulin spikes Don't cause inflammation.

I eat a 80% raw diet with Tons of juice too but I keep the fruit to a minimum.

Edit: yes I realize all sugar is not the same but it's still sugar, re Dario.