Carborized rice hulls (bio char)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Organic sinse, Apr 13, 2017.

1. A couple weeks back some of us were talking about making rice hull bio char/ Carborized Rice hulls, on another thread, (which I just can't remember). I used a Blade's suggestion of a Roaster Pan. I opted for a cheapy aluminum throw away pan, covered in a Al foil. I made essentially a jumbo "Jiffy Pop", of rice hulls, and threw it in the gas BBQ grill for 2 hours. Here is a pick of the Al foil covered pan.
    Here is a scoop of the finished product.
    Thanks for the input of the Blades, who's names I can't recall for their input.
    The one thing I learned not to do is place the pan right on the lava rock in the grill. It started to melt holes in the pan. Next time I will place it on the grate.
    I also don't know if a full 2 hours would be required. That is just when I peeked, and the full pan happened to be done.
    os

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. very nice! i like how its already small particles so you dont need to crush it or anything :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Is it possible to do this in a domestic oven? Will any dried organic material do (wood chips for example)?

4. It may be a little smokey for an indoor oven. If I were to try it, I would try a very small amount, and see if the exhaust fan could keep up. It is quite hard to tell from the outside bbq grill, just how much smoke comes off, but there definitely is some.
    os

5. @scoobiedoobie
    It sure beats playing mock "butter churn", with a sledge hammer in a 5 gallon bucket, going after cowboy charcoal. I was surprised the consistency was all the same all the way thru.
    os

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I made a second batch tonight. They were finished after 1 hour. The hole pan was done perfect and exactly the same. When I start working on the brats I bought, I will see if the hulls get done in half an hour. I'm real curious what the min time is.
    os

• Like Like x 1