Carbonated water.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 420wyztoblz, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Since my last grow failed because of the acidic pH in my water, I decided to use S.Pellegrino water on my plants. I've read that the natural carbonation is a subsitute for generating CO2 instead.

What I've wanted to know, is this water safe over a period of time? So far mine haven't complained, but they're 3 days in.

2. Im not sure man about over a extended period of time but the roots need O2 while the plant needs CO2. So i would think put Carbonated water in your soil it would rob the plants of O2. But hey what do i know. I just started growing myself. So keep an eye on them.

3. It wont hurt anything, it's just a waste of time and money. The amount of CO2 you breath out while watering them with that water will be more then carbonated water will add to the grow. Talk to your plants five minutes a day insted.

Peace, R.

4. water your plants with distilled or purified water, if you don't have access to these then use rain water or tap water that has been sitting out for a couple days (this lets the chlorine and other shit evaporate). if you want a co2 boost then search the forum for "co2 generator" or "yeast". this yeast co2 gen works wonders and is easy and cheap to make.

5. talking to your plants is not a bad idea.

6. Yes, it is so easy to do, it made a visible difference to my plants within a couple of days. All you need to do is feed the yeast daily, give it a shake and keep it warm - in your grow cabinet or room.

All you need is a 2ltr bottle with small holes around the top. Mix 200mls warm water to 200mls sugar, mix it up, and add a sachet of active yeast and pour it into the bottle. Give a tablespoon of sugar per day to the yeast, and mildly shake the bottle, and that wonderful little bacteria will give your plants much desired Co2 throughout your grow. You can add as many bottles as you wish, but there is a saturation point at which the plant does not benefit from any further Co2 supplimentation.

7. Yup, around 2000ppm. But yeast won't get you that high. Drunk, yes!

Don't put CO2 in the soil.

Excess CO2 around the roots can kill them (throw off pH, cause Iron deficiency, other stuff). Soil produces CO2 naturally, and it's a finely-balanced act to remove the stuff. It's okay to foliar feed with carbonated water (if you really must).

Talking to your plants is highly recommended. Singing, even.

-mu

ps. remember to drain your "CO2 machine" every week or two, and refresh with more water and sugar (leave the sediment; the yeast can be kept alive for months, even years, if you keep things clean). If you don't refresh it, the high alcohol level will kill the yeast bacteria; another of nature's finely-balanced systems.

Someone might want to put the instructions in their sig for a while. ;)

8. couldn't you just use some selzer water ith some sugar in it and whatever else you put in your water then get the ph right with whatever you normally use to get it right

9. i've never drained and refilled my bottle. also i never fed it either. i just make a new concoction once a week. imo it's probly easier to mix up a new one as opposed to draining and re-filling and potentially spilling that nasty shit all over.

10. Co2 and Roots do not mix, it kills roots.... so do not water with carbonated water.

YOu can however use carbonated water to mist your plants with, and misting 2 times per day with it gives the plant suffiecient Co2 for that day.

11. Ahh, well, I like to a) drink the wine, and b) save money on yeast!

I use a 10L bucket with a towel over it, by the way.

-mu

12. well the gals are doin great on this water. Im wondering if the 10mg of sodium in this 783ml bottle will raise the pH.

Yes this might be a grow this carbonated water the entire grow. I have ventilation that changes the entire air in my room within two minutes. CO2 is not the point, I don't have access to purified water as easily as I do this.

13. You asked if using this water is safe for your grow. You got several expert answers that it is not. And then you are going to proceed with using it anyway?

Good luck with all that. And in the future, consider that when you ask a question and then ignore the collective advice that you are wasting everyone's time.

Purifying the water probably won't bring the pH in line. You can afford to purify your tap water, just take the cost of a few bottles of that Italian import and buy a Brita filter jug. But what you need is to adjust the pH of the water, and there are several simple ways to do that. Even better, just go to the grocery store and buy a big container of distilled water. Get the store's own brand, it will be cheap and will have a neutral pH of 7.0 -- no CO2, no fancy import price tag, no pH problem, no filter needed.

14. #14 Benny Elz SP, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2011
    Listen, carbonated water also contains o2 or oxygen as well so i say go for it especially if ur doing it with hydroponics,.....hey I'm about to try it myself cuz I'm thinking like this once upon a time this planet was saturated in co2, the atmosphere, the soil everything and that's when plant life was at its most abundant...plz tell me if I'm wrong cuz i did my research actually through writing this I'm realizing carbonated water would be a poor mans optimum choice cuz carbonated water has both o2 & co2...matter fact ill keep y'all posted with my project...and besides co2 is heavy right? So if ur a soil grower and ur soil has good ventilation like perlite wouldn't the co2 seap into it and get to the roots anyway...i mean it kinda makes sense to me...

...& another thing, plants let off oxygen so why would they need to suck it up through the roots just to give it off thru the leaves?!,so y'all basically saying give the roots oxygen so it can turn THAT oxygen into more oxygen to disapate?! I don't think so, i think co2 goto the roots n o2 come out the leaves... give your plant as much co2 as u can but don't O.D. it! I believe too much of anything will kill anything.... aight I'm a put it like this oxygen goes up to the atmosphere for us and our lungs to breathe and the co2 we exhale goes down to the earth and eventually to the roots of all plantlife trees, moss, bushes, shrubs, grass, all that shit...and this should be common sense like damn I'm seeing everybody say its not a good idea, but its a great idea...

GOTO THIS LINK, READ & GET EDUCATED!!!
    CO2 on the roots part 1 - 420 Magazine

15. Benny, every word of that post was funny. Great job.:hello:

16. Wow this is an old post

-but it concerns almost exactly what I'm dealing with. 

My plants have been exhibiting a little bit of calcium/magnesium deficiency.
    Currently they discontinued Cal-Mag --and after looking up online I found out that not many people are happy with Botanicare (I guess they keep watering down their stuff?) In any case, someone said to try hitting my plants with a foliar spray of mineral water with a high calcium content. Based on everything said, that seems fine in the realm of Co2 and everything if I keep it foliar. But any thoughts on the calcium supplementing aspect of it?