Carbon scrubbers

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HighOnTheHill, Jan 15, 2009.

1. How much does it cost to build a cheap carbon scrubber? I don't care if it works perfectly, as long as it eliminates a lot of the odor. I'm not worried about my place smelling like weed (hell, I smoke in here almost non-stop) but I'm worried about the smell of all the fresh nugs leaking outside. I live in an apartment complex with lots and lots of elderly people and I really don't want to cause any suspicion. I really don't have much money for this particular grow, obviously. I'm growing this batch to finance my next grow.

So if anyone can explain how, or point me to a thread where I can build a carbon scrubber for say...25 bucks (I don't even know if this is possible).

As I said it doesn't have to be perfect. I was thinking about taking two of those Air conditioner filters with the cardboard frames and just stuffing it full of activated carbon and installing it over a hole I cut in my grow box and rigging some type of inline fan to pull air through it.

2. This is the best guide I have found.

http://www.marijuanagrowing.eu/anoth...yle-t8114.html

I have built maybe 5 of them all different sizes. I am building two more this weekend.

THE KEY IS to understand the concept, once you understand the how and why you can built it to suit your needs.

3. Mr. Bubbles, I keep getting a 404 on that one.

4. I built http://boards.cannabis.com/grow-faqs/99371-diy-how-carbon-filter.html this one For about fifty bucks- way cheaper than anything for sale. It works GREAT. I don't even use carbon, I use a brand of cat litter called feline pine. Its made of super compressed pelletized pine shavings and it makes my room smell like a lumber mill. You can also use crystal (silica gel) cat litter instead too but carbon lasts the longest. You can also make this filter longer by just increasing the dimmensions for even better odor control.

5. Hold on. I can make a filter out of cat litter? Like I said, I'm not picky about eliminating all the smell, in fact I rather enjoy coming home to the odor. I just can't have it so over-powering that it can be smelled outside.

6. I built this, except I chopped it in half so it's shorter. No idea how well it works yet cuz the plants haven't started smelling yet, but if it wasn't enough you could always take it apart, use the normal size hardware cloth (3' tall instead of ~1.5') and double the amount of carbon. Using granulated carbon from WalMart, costs like $20 to fill mine up so even if it didn't last the whole grow it's cheap to refill. If it doesn't work well, I'm just going to invest in a professional "real" carbon scrubber, but if DIY can do it as well as retail, you bet your ass I'm going that route

7. #8 CFLweasel, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
    Zpyro- I know of someone who built the same one I did, except he made it about 6in longer. They said it lasts about 6 months before carbon needs changing. That's MULTIPLE flowerings :)