Carbon scrubber idea

Discussion in 'Security' started by starslayer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Ok I'm doing my first stealth grow in YEARS so bare with me. I'm doing some automatics (just placed my order WOOHOOO) and am in the process of building a small grow box. Now I'm getting one of these [ame]http://www.amazon.com/CabCool-Lite-Cooling-Cabinet-Theaters/dp/B001NJ4J6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328473041&sr=8-1[/ame] and am thinking of doing ducting to them. so my plan is to attach make a filter with some hardware cloth. two layers with activated charcoal granulars in between. and wrapped in prefilter to add to it and keep the mess down. This will then be attached to the fans with ducting. Air will be pulled through and vented out the back. Will this be enough? also planning on putting a can on Ona or some other odor neutralizer can in the room.

thanks

2. Why don't you just get a good quality Carbon filter instead of making something that is not reliable and also spending money on Ona .... I have 4" PHRESH filter and as long as I keep neg pressure there is no odor ... I have read way too many negative posts regarding cheap ( no name ) or home made filters.....

3. I agree with RO76 on this. The biggest risk of ruining your stealth op, is in the odor control. That's why true odor control devices are so expensive - they're worth it! Don't try to skimp here. The only thing Ona does is overwhelm the senses with its own scent, to hopefully fool the nose from picking up the next most prominent scent. Perhaps it's a useful add on, but the reason carbon filters are expensive, is because they work. If you think you can control odor for cheaper than a good can, and a fan cheaper, than it's too good to be true. Believe me, millions of poor stoners have tried it all. Including myself at one time.

I've wasted way more money, trying to do things cheaper, than just doing it the right way once.

Best of luck to you.

4. yeah my only problem is it's a micro grow for one plant, and I'm concerted the 6 inch duct fan and filter will be over kill.. well not over kill, more like bigger than the grow itself. LOL so it won't fit in the box, and sticking it outside kinde kills the stealth. let alone those loud duct fans. maybe I'm over thinking it.

5. Do not take me wrong the Idea of having scrubber is grate . Just get C.A.P. inline fan 4" ( it is relatively cheap ) and quality 4" carbon filter attach them together and you going to have a scrubber . Place it next to your grow box and it should take care of the odor .

6. I tried to do something similar to that by putting a bunch of pc fans in pvc, but what happens is the opposite of the intended result. When too much back pressure is put on it, It stops moving air past the fins and what used to be air coming out of the fan becomes a vacuum. I learned this by experimenting and after wards having an experienced grower tell me the same.....Sooo what I ended up doing is using two Aquarium air pumps and and three carbon block filters from a drinking water system. One for the inlet (probably overkill I know, but I got them for free :) ) and two in series on the outlet. I will be posting pics soon of the set up because I've been asked to and plus I think its a good idea to share. Now I have not actually used it yet to remove odors (still in testing phase) But it does move a good amount of air through it (relative to the space) It operates EXTREAMLY quietly, plus you can dial in how much air the pumps move. Also, the carbon block filters have a MUCH higher contact rate than granular or pellet carbon, so I'm pretty confident that it will work well. Like I said I will post a thread with pics of the whole thing! I'm getting exctited about it, cuz I've been working on this thing for sooo long and It's sooo close to being done!

7. Does a fan and carbon filter have to be vented out ? Is it possible to use them inside a closet and re cycle the air that is inside. I'm doing a small single grow and don't really want to be cutting holes.

8. #8 RO76, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
    You can if your room (where the closet )is big or just simply cold ( open window).But you should to went out to bring the fresh cooler air in and remove "old" warm air out