Carbon filter

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Demonikforce420, Sep 20, 2018.

1. New grower and need advice on my replacement carbon filter placement. First filter clogged after 2 weeks of use. Could of been a did filter, but I think my humidifier fucked it. Not sure how accurate it is, but read later on. When researching the filter not sucking air through it. Someone said theirs clogged real quick when they added a ultrasonic humidifier to their grow tent. I had a big heat issue, and my humidity controller kept the humidifier on all night to try raising it. But, the exhaust was just sucking the humidity from the humidifier out through the filter. Now that I know my fuck up. Should I out filter back inside tent where I had it, or should I keep it outside tent, and blow exhaust air through the filter and out, to be safe?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Geez, That's a TOUGH one, LOL...
    The filters are made to be sucked thru, not blown thru, So... You might wanna look into an 'evaporative' type humidifier instead of those 'fogger types', and locate it further away from the air filter,if you can...

3. Lol, yeah, now that I'm begging, I don't even need the humidifier on anymore, but got worried anyhow. My outside air into tent stays about 50% rh steady around the clock. When they were seedlings, I tried keeping humidity at 70% and had the issue with the filter clogging. Now, I have humidity controller set +-5% and have it set on 55% for desired humidity until Sunday, and then, I'm lowering the controller to 50% +-5%. My dehumidifier gets used daily now. I always read and hear to suck air through, but then I see pictures of filter companies showing their filter having air blowing through the filter and not sucking through it. The one I got shows the filter being sucked through, and blown through setups. It's a cheap filter, and I know that. Came with exhaust setup, and got a temp controller to go with it.

4. LOL...Sounds like you have the same climate changes as me... I can't get ENOUGH humidity in the winter, and get TOO MUCH in the Summer....Gotta have BOTH machines working their asses off,at different times !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, the controller is nice, I just don't another filter getting clogged, and not have a backup still

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Do you have a speed controller for your fan ? Maybe you could reduce the suction a bit ?

7. Yes, I have a speed controller. It's a turn dial with low med high places. It's on medium now, but I can try lowering it. You research before your first grow, and environment seems easier to deal with in your head. Even if you have everything you can use to regulate it lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I know,man... It really 'sucks' to have to REMOVE all your Climate Controlled air from the room right out the exhaust vent...LOL

9. Yup lmao, it's like my dad said. When I was a kid growing up, and I'd leave the front door open. I'm not paying to air-condition the outside! I'm essentially paying to climate control my tent for about 1 minute, before the air is circulated through the tent completely lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hey, It's prolly why some people seal up their room ,and pump CO2 into it, So they don't see dollar signs flying out the window, LOL

11. Seems like a really good idea, but I'm just way to new to go that route yet. Are those co2 bags any good. The ones you just sit in your grow tent? Let me know if you have an opinion please?

12. Ha ha... @Sickomindo Had this ultra sonic fogger killing your filter problem.

Turns out its the calcium and other water menirals that go air born during the vaporization process.

As for running the filter backwards ya it's totally fine but remember you still need a pre filter or the dust and shit will also cut filter life down significantly too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Do you know if distilled water would prevent that from happening.

14. yes it would

15. Great, I can do that then, from now on. I've decided to turn my humidifier off completely for time being. The air outside the tent keeps 50ish% RH. I'm not worried about it getting to low inside at this stage now. Plus, I look at water level of humidifier, and it hasn't moved for days.

16. How do you know it's clogged? When you can't feel air coming out of it? Asking because I'm using a Phresh Filter for my first grow and I wanna be aware of this.

17. So, I first noticed the heat in my tent would drop when open, obviously, but the excess heat I. There will alert you possibly as well. If you had good air flow, and temps kept down where you wanted it at, and next thing, you're tent is climbing g higher and higher. Check your exhaust vent, and see if normal amount of air is being pushed out. If not, I'd suspect the filter, but you're getting quality brand, and if you look at my first post, you can see what my situation is, and compare it.