carbon filter ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stealth1, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Im doing a stealth cabinet grow in a cabinet 63cm high x 37cm wide x 36cm deep.
    i will need a carbon filter for smell.
    what do i need?
    Can i buy them?if so how much?
    How do i make a diy carbon filter?

2. search the forum or google for how to make one, youll find much better in depth info and pics in threads dedicated for it. usually you want one that comes close to matching the cfm rating of your exhaust fan if you buy one.

3. For a small cabinet grow Panda is prob leading you the right way into making your own. I have no clue how to do so but if you decide to just buy one then do some research and choose a good quality one. They are NOT all created equal

4. Hi dude, I've thought about making a DIY filter buy after seeing others make one then in the end buy a filter.. That's the best thing you can do really.. Just buy the filter your not gonna have to keep fixing it or bodging it and it'll last probably 18months for like £15 for a filter. And the ducting is only cheap

5. #6 Ifeltathigh420, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
    If your growing real plants you will need a real filter. Dont fuck with this.

You need a REAL inline fan and a REAL carbon filter. This needs to be a industrial carbon filter, the kind the filter harsh chemicals through. Key things to look for are virgin carbon, the carbon thickness is more then 1 inch, and frankly it needs to have a brand attached to it. Ie Phresh or CANFILTER. Any carbon filter you make will just suck.

Remember if you smoke green your smell of green is GREATLY reduced. Even if you can smell your plants or if you smell someone else smoking ( as in your not smoking but can smell it like you have never smoked before.) compared to someone who has never smoked green ever. They will smell things you cant. That doesnt even cover dogs. Dogs smell differently then we do. They smell each molecule individual. So say we smell by eat all the fruity candies at once, we might say this tastes fruity. A dog would "smell" by eating each flavor individually. Meaning that it can smell/taste the strawberry, the grape the orange etc. It would be able to say which candies are in the fruit mix up.

Does that make sense? Dogs smell every molecule of smell that exists, not just in concentrations like we do. So if your carbon filter only kinda works or you use a smell to out concentrate the odor, it will not work for dogs.

As for picking a filter and fan, remember the filter and fan need to have the same CFM rating. This means how fast the air travels across the filter. To fast and it wont work. So my fan is rated for 270 cfm and my filter is 250 cfm. But since I have my filter at the beginning and my tubing goes through my cool tube then the fan it cuts on the cfm enough to work out just great.

Your looking at 130.00 minimum to guarantee safety. I got mine from a local shop, the fan is guaranteed for any reason for 5 yrs, so thats nice. The filter is rated to last 2.5 yrs, just keep it in a low humidity environment.

Before you complain.. whats a lawyer cost?

6. you are way over dramatic, we are talking about a box of about 2 foot cubed, a DIY carbon filter will work just fine.

the filters I buy cost £40 and they work really well. I bought one for £17 once and it literally didn't work at all. so be careful when buying one, stick to a reputable brand. non brand filters are a gamble

and price does not depict quality unfortunately

7. have fun in jail i guess

8. Other options work for smell too. With a small size like that I'm sure a standard ionic breeze or any ozone generator will work... Try the thrift stores if you are on a dime.

I personally don't like ozone generators but they will kill the smell.

9. Oooo the drama

10. I'd say if you are interested then try ad build your own it doesn't look like it cost that much and see how it works. If it works good then great. But also be expected to purchase a real one so you're not disappointed. Depending on your grow the DIY one may suffice and testing it won't set you back too much so why not.

11. You can get one at a hydroshop for 50-100 and it should last over 2 yrs.