carbon filter?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Suburbanman, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Will i need a carbon filter for 2 plants? And what's the best soil lowes sells

2. Yes you will. Even one plant will stink up an entire house. Badly. Lowes may carry promix, which is what i use. 99% of the soils they sell at the big box stores are crap for cannabis though, youd be much better off going to a hydro store.

3. Yeah I would gets stale air out plus gets rid of the smell, and if you don't want hydro I'd go with coco personally but I've heard good things about bnq mix

4. Thanks for the info.What soil would last till flowering stage

5. Not sure what you are asking?

6. What soil would have enough nutrients to last till flower

7. Fox farm soils should. Personally i grow in soiless mediums and add my own nutes so i cant help much there

8. Is hydro better?

9. Soil-less is different than hydro. Its a peat moss base with no nutritional value on its own

10. Depends on the skill of the grower.

11. stick with soil until your comfortable. FoxFarm soil is great and will last 3 week into veg. If you use fox farm, let the soil seup for a week or two before you plant in it.

12. Actually i would think that hydro is better, u dont have to deal with all that mess of putting dirt taking it out; and if ur having problems with ur plant u can easyly diagnose it cus all i do is change the water and in a few hrs i can tell if that worked and worst comes to worst i just clean reserwar and start all over brand new and in an hr or so them girls are looking just fine and dont forget all them pest that soil attracts!

13. Ive been running for two years in soil and have never had a pest or ph/deficiency problem. I think learning on soil makes the most sense as it is cheaper to start out (less equipment), and a lot simpler without all the pumps and automation. I think being hands-on with soil is a great way to get the basics down.

14. Are their any other soils that are good a budget grow and what extra nutrients would I need

15. Ocean Forest, Roots Organic are good right out of the bag. A crappy soil I'd want to amend before using. There are a lot of options for you to choose... you can add all your nutrients to the soil before planting and not have to worry about feeding them, you can use an organic soil that has a month's worth of nutrients, you can use a soilless medium with no nutrients and start feeding after the first week.

It's all up to you, people are successful with every method out there. Which one is better?... depends on the skill (and goals) of the grower :)

16. you will def smell 2 plants if the air isnt exchanging outside

17. #18 FragileBob, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
    First time grower here too. I had the same question as you have here.

I'm on day 26 with my first little girl. I also have decent airflow with venting inside grow room.

Day 13: Hint of a green smell when box is open.
    Day 15: Bit stronger when box is open.
    Day 17: Hint of smell with closed box.
    Day 19: Definite smell just outside grow room.
    Day 23: Un-Mistakable smell fills second room.
    Day 24: Wife asks about smell (second floor).
    Day 25: Installed carbon filter, Ona Bucket.
    Day 26: Wife happy about dryer sheet smell.

My odor control was non-exhistant before day25 and as you can see about day19 it started to become an issue and grew quickly.

So, yes if odor could become an issue... you definitely need to take it into account. I'm a bit nervous about the flower potency. I've heard it's twice as strong.

-FragileBob

18. That should help, I would keep the Ona bucket outside of your room if it isn't. They work great, but I found if they are to close to budding plants or it is to saturated in the air. You can taste/smell it in the bud. From my experience, smell gets much much much worse in the last half of your flower period. So it is def good your planing ahead.

19. Currently using this as the filter. Again hopefully it holds.

Amazon: 14ALL Filter Queen Cut-to-Fit Replacement Carbon Pre-Filter

As far as the Ona bucket it's on a timer, and is lightly covering. 1hr on 6hr off or so. I'll be upping its frequency as the odor starts taking over the room.

-FragileBob