Carbon filter?? Newb grower please help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by drew425, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Hi everyone. New to this forum and I wanted to know should I be using a carbon filter for my grow tent? Im running my exhaust system in a closed loop with no passive intake and I was wonder if it would be any use to reduce the smell? I just switched to 12/12 a few days ago and am wondering. Thanks

2. works wonders for smell

3. Hells yeah bro. If its in your budget it's a must. Otherwise whe those babies get to flowering everything you own is gonna stink like herbs. I lived in fear till I got mine. It got so bad at one point you could smell it at my mailbox
    There's no way the mailman didn't smell it. No f Ing way. Thank god it never got me ratted on. Now with my filter I could have ten walkers in there and you'd never smell em. Walkers are zombies btw

4. I would not grow without one. But I have to say, DO NOT buy the HTG supply stock one they sell...Other people complained about them on here, and I didnt listen, now Im in the last days of flowering, and my filter isnt even working. Called HTG and they just passed me off to different employees, and wouldnt honor thier product.
    Buy a good filter, and dont look back! Its worth it!

5. Thanks guys. Should the filter be attached directly to my exhaust blower flange or to the ducting on the exhaust? Thanks again

6. You can attach it anywhere, as long as the exhaust air gets pulled or pushed through it. Just make sure there are no leaks in your ducting.

7. Thats weird im looking at carbon filters online and all of them only have an inlet?? Where in the exhaust system do you put them then?

8. WooHOO the walkers are back this sunday....

9. you put it inside the tent and make the fan suck throgh it or you put it outside and make the fan push air throgh it. bear in mind thogh it is designed to be sucked throgh so you have a larger contact area on the outside then on the inside but blowing will work too just not as well.

10. I just set my carbon filter up yesterday and this is my first grow. Definitely does what it's supposed to. I'm in a 5x3x7 closet grow and got a 550cfm 6x24 Rhino filter. I did my research first and made sure I got one with a good rep since they can be spendy. Mine ran me $165 +tax. Says it's expected carbon life is 2 years. I mounted mine inside the closet ceiling then connected the ducting, Which connects to the 6 inch 440 cfm exhaust fan, then the ducting on the other end of the fan is blowing it outside. Before having the filter I could smell my grow where the exhaust air was exiting but now all i smell is fresh air. One thing that stuck in my head is to not go cheap on the main thing that can and will get you caught. Hope any of that helped.

11. thanks guys/gals:)

12. Sorry to bring this thread back up but ive done some more research and found I would get more benefit from the carbon filter if it were just hooked to one side of the fan (intake) so the fan would be sucking the air from the inside of the tent through the filter and venting it out.

So my question is should I run it this way with no intake, and just forget running it through my cool tube in the light to cool it down?

I forgot to mention that my tent is actually in my backyard so temperatures aren't really an issue as it has cooled down quite a bit where I live. I realize if I had no budget the best way would be to run 2 fans. One for my cool tube and a seperate system just for ventilation. (which I might do at a later time)

13. you can get inline fans real cheap for the tent cooling and light cooling...

like this..
    [​IMG]

20-30 bucks...found it worth saving up for..

look for solutions in regular hardware.

14. Thanks never thought of that

15. Just run it from the filter to the light then out, one fan, filtration and cooling.

16. I don't know why im making this so hard. That sound like a good idea. So basically put the fan before the intake and suck all the air through it and out? Or just do with with the intake and have filter, to duct, to cool tube, to fan and out? thanks again everyone for the help

17. You don't need to worry about intake, I'd bet there're enough leaks. Running from the filter to the lights, then to the fan/exhaust will create it's own intake from any leaks in the tent, and you can put the fan where ever you want. Good Luck!

18. Wow I just got my filter. Its huge is that normal?

19. Mine's about 2'x3' and holds fifty pounds of carbon. It's not one of the larger ones.

20. Yes they can get pretty big. Easy to mount with large zip ties.