Carbon filter for bong

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Whohulkwalk, Aug 10, 2010.

1. OK so I know carbon filters help with the smell of the smoke and keep plant matter from coming in the bong but do they change the taste or is it exactly the same......drop some knowledge on me

2. yes, the taste definitely changes...some like it better, others like me do not and think it takes away from the flavor.

3. I can only really taste anything if the lit bowl snaps onto the carbon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alright fuck that no carbon for me

5. or you can try it for yourself, then decide...

a relatively inexpensive way to make that decision don't you think?

:smoke:\thappy toking!

6. Activated carbon does a better job of cleaning up the smoke then ANY amount of water filtration ever will.

Advantages to using an activated carbon filter on your bong:
    Reduces smell of exhaled smoke,
    Catches all ash and keeps the rest of the bong much cleaner,
    Makes for smoother smoke,
    And IMO improves taste.

BUT, there is one big risk assosocated with carbon/charcoal. The dust can cause black lung over time(think coal miners), so its VERY important that youproperly wash and dry the carbon before use in a well ventilated area.

If you do that, your good to go. Carbon is my favorite attachment for my GonGs!

• Like Like x 1

7. Nailed it. Very in depth description. Carbon filters are awesome

8. and cant u use carbon filter to breathe out in a spoof? im making me one of those now:smoking:

9. ^seems like an interesting concept. Seems like it would work to kill the smell, but does nothing to help keep the tube cleaner. Personally I dont like carbon filters bec it kills the taste. If it didnt change the taste I would be all over this shit...keeps the tubes soooooooooooooooooooooo much cleaner

10. hey, i totally agree with carbon filtration and i think its the best thing out there to have for your bonggg... but got a cerious question.. how often should we change the carbon/coal in the bong? any ideas

11. Depending on whether you pull through ashes into your carbon filter, it can vary from session by session, to day by day (Depending on how much you smoke and how quickly the adaptor is filled). Even longer if you'd like, but I like to keep my pieces looking minty fresh. If your using a bowl with a screen, and are not pulling through any ashes, than I would suggest only changing daily at most.

NYCdeisel made an extremely good point with the dust that the carbon produces. Just make sure you rinse it very thurally, and even try blowing into the adaptor to see if any dust particles appear. It's very easy to get it to a point where there are none.

I absolutely love my carbon filter adaptor, and even debate using my bong if I don't have any left.

12. I made my own to find out how it taste and what it does.

And i must say it works amazing.

i used the same carbon i used for my grow.

washed it out and let it dry nicely.

its almost like breathing air out of your bong.

its the cleanest smoke in the world out of a 4 arm tree perc with a diffused stem.

it took the harshness out of my one weed i had and made my lungs love me again.

when i exhale is the only time i get the harshness.

i ripped an entire bowl with the filter and got no cough.

did the same without the filter and could barely clear the smoke.

id say get it if you are concerned with your lungs or have asthma or something

but its realllly easy to make your own piece

http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/709716-home-made-carbon-filter-bong.html

13. yeah i made my own carbon adapter,got an old 18.8>18.8 downstem and broke the downstem off and voila. Gotta buy some carbon now.

14. when I seen this thread I was like wtf I didn't make this thread.Then I remembered I did like four months ago.lol

15. Hopefully your not as close minded now. ;) :wave:

16. lol
    yeah I would try carbon but it seems like to much of a hassle to me

17. dude get it to keep your bong clean

18. Well if its too much of a hassle, then its too much of a hassle, what can I say?

All I will say is that you, sir, are missing out.

19. In my opinion having the clean the grime that come's from not having a carbon filter adaptor nearly everyday, compared to using the carbon filter adaptor and only having to clean that daily, and leave your bong for easily a week, and probably months if your the kind of person that doesn't mind a little brown on their bong, is much less of a hastle than having to clean a dirty bong all the time.

20. Aight heres a question

I just got a DD bowl and DD carbon filter adaptor from GMD.

Now does the DD bowl stop ash from going through at all? cause I have never used a DD bowl.

and if the bowl does allow ash through, that would mean I would have to change my carbon everyday?