Carbon filter/fan airflow question

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by toolzor, Jul 1, 2018.

1. So as of current I have a 4 inch inline fan with carbon filter. I'm not having any issues with smell or anything but I did want to get a bigger fan/filter for more air circulation and flow.

My question is this, I don't have a whole lot of room to hang them both inside the tent the way that I want to, so I was thinking I would put the filter itself inside the tent, and mount the fan on my wall outside of the tent with ducting running in between them. Would I lose any suction if I have the fan outside of the tent? I don't think I would but maybe someone out there has tried this already.

Thanks in advance!

2. I have a 6inch inline fan outside hooked up and pulling from a filter inside. I think it just depends on how powerful your fan is. Negative pressure is always better. Under negative pressure, you never have to worry about a smell in your tent.

3. Well that little 4inch one that I have is 190 I believe, I have negative pressure with it, so I have no doubt that with a 440 CFM 6 inch fan that I will still have negative pressure, I was mainly just wondering if I would be doing myself a disservice by just mounting the fan outside with some ducting. I'm sure I'll still have negative pressure I just mainly want to make sure it's still effective

4. Based off the fact that you said you do that as well though, I'm sure yours is fine?

5. I prefer to pull air across my hood instead of pushing it. If you have the space outside is great.

6. Oh the filter would be inside the tent, with ducting running out to the fan, which would be sucking it up through the filter still, I don't want to push it out through the filter, I'm still pulling it in through the filter, it's just that the fan would be outside of the tent.

7. Sorry for being confusing. I have a 6 inch cool tube hood with a light in it. I have the filter inside, then hose going from the filter to my light. Other side of the light I have a hose going outside the tent to the fan. The fan is pulling all the air inside the tent to the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ah okay, same concept though save for yours going through a light

9. For anyone who's wanting a definite answer here, there's obviously no suction loss. Hooked up the new fan and filter and um, my tent walls are pretty tightly sucked in now lol. I have every vent open on it hoping to give it some additional air flow and it's still super tight.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I see your concept and i think its great for the space in the room but i dont think itll be as efficient for the heat comming off the lights

11. I have an issue with major positive pressure. Have a charcoal filter-air cooled hood, 6in cfm sucking air out on high..

And i have a 6in on low, intake. And still tent looks like a balloon ready to float away, do you guys think i should just remove the intake or maybe try putting a shirt over the fan where the ducting attaches?

• Like Like x 1
  12. If the lower tent vents are opened an intake isnt really needed..

13. okay thanks, was a but worried about light from the vents

14. Is the tent flowering right now

15. tents actually empty, just planted seeds in soil today after soaking for 12 hours. About half an inch deep so i hope they sprout!

16. Just planted a getminated “sour diesel” photo and an “auto colorado cookie” from the comparative grow..

I hope the sprout too lol