Carbon filter , better to push or pull?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ByBySucker, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Hello I will be putting carbon filters in my grow box tonight. Would it be better to push air through the filters or pull air through the filter?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. i would have it pull the air out its more efficient

3. alright thanks man

4. Definitely pull!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I have a small grow tent and pulling seems to be more efficient. Some growers say your fan wont last as long but for the small tent I have, its the best option for me especially when you add in odor.
    Carbon filter inside tent---ducting----cool tube---ducting---fan----out of tent.
    I know this is a late post but just my two cents.

How did your grow go by the way?

6. #7 Fataqui, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
    I know reviving a old thread is kind of lame, but pulling air through a carbon filter is less efficient than pushing air when using any of the carbon filters made today! Why?... because every carbon filter on the market today uses GARAGE MENTALITY ENGINEERING, lol! Yeah to me its funny because most people rate a carbon filter by.... does my stuff stink coming out or not! And while that is kind of the ultimate question, it has nothing to do with a carbon filters true efficiency. All of the carbon filters made today are better designed to PUSH air through rather than PULL air through the filter. Why... because neither AIR FLOW, or AIR PRESSURE are ever regulated through any of the carbon filters that are on the market today. Every carbon filter I have tested has an efficacy of less than 9% while pulling air through, and just 13% pushing air through. And the simple reason for that is because as I said before AIR FLOW, or AIR PRESSURE are not regulated in any of the carbon filters sold today. I'll give you simple example of what I mean, basic air velocity, pressure and flow principle. Take a tube of any size and length, seal one end of that tube, now drill (2) 1/2 inch holes along that tubes plane. drill the first hole near the beginning of the tubes opening, then drill another 1/2 inch hole near the sealed end of the tube. Now push air through that tube using a regulated fan and measure the air flow coming out of those (2) 1/2 inch holes, you will find that the 1/2 hole nearest to your tubes opening will be far greater than the same size hole that is at the far end of your tube. You can reserve that test using a reverse flow meter and you have similar results. No it will not be as efficient as pushing air through the tube, but it will show you that the air flow at the opening end of the tube will always be much greater than at the end of the tube. That's the simple reason why all carbon filters made today are not very efficient. Like I said before, in my testing none of the carbon filters I have tested have had a greater efficiency than 9% while pulling air through and 13% when pushing air through the filter. And none of them will ever be any more efficient until they regulate the air flow along the entire plane of the filter.