Car to Learn Manual

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by xpixiex, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Although the corvette is a sweet ride, I would not go with it due to many reasons like the gas bill and maintenance costs. if u were to go honda and still want a sporty look I would go with a prelude. easy to maintain, great on gas and still strong enough to have some fun.

2. I prefer a fg2 over any rsx though.

LSD helps some.

Haha Honda and torque shouldn't mix in same sentence.

3. #23 xpixiex, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    The Honda dealership overprices their vehicles by $2000 or more.

The salespeople are useless. They won't let me speak to the manager(s) who price the vehicles because they are 'busy.' I'm planning on looking at other dealerships in the meantime since I'm sure they would have some used hondas for sale.

Is NADA.com a good site to find dealership estimates? The salespeople couldn't even explain why I'm paying over $3500 more for the vehicle I wanted other than that it had good gas mileage. I then pointed to the website on my phone where I told them it only increased the price by ~$1500.

Is a jeep wrangler a good vehicle to learn stick shift from? I know that the dealership in town is surprisingly fair price wise.

EDIT:
    I'm going to be looking at all the vehicles you recommended, and post back with which ones I'm interested in... I live in an area where there aren't many dealerships, so it may be difficult to find some especially with my local Honda dealership not being very cool.

4. I've thought it over and the very best car to learn to drive stick on is...

somebody else's...

5. #25 Bouldorado, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    That wrangler is unbelievably slow. Only reason you should buy one is if you're planning on off-roading. As for easy-to-learn stickshifts, pretty much any car that isn't a race model; ex. v8 mustangs/other muscle cars. The sticks in entry level audis are very nice, but since you don't want another audi, I recommend a subaru. You can easily find a nice manual impreza, legacy, or outback in your price range. If you want something as fast as the audi though, you'll need to look at a turbo model (wrx, 2.5gt).

Edit: Realized you're in florida...the used subaru market might be a little slim. also, you don't need awd or even fwd, so check out a 3 series if you don't mind paying the bmw premium

6. BMW 3 series
    VW golf/jetta
    Honda Civic/accord
    Toyota Carolla/camry

Wranglers are fun, i wish i had one

7. I drove my dads Porsche Boxster this weekend. Between that, the mini, and the RSX... I wanna Porsche now that I've driven one lol

-P

8. I learned on an old TJ Wrangler. Very easy to learn on and there is an unimaginably large market for mods. The 4.0L straight six is such a good engine aswell so try to get that as opposed to the smaller 4 cylinder.

9. Any volkswagen would be great... Aim for the vr6. Most of their models had a vr6 option.

10. Maybe for driving, but not reliability. Audi is owned by VW, so a VW for the most part won't be any better than the original car the op drove. If you want reliability look at honda, Subaru, and volvo(manual volvos are somewhat rare though)

11. I've driven MT cars since I was 16. IMHO, a Honda MT is the easiest to learn and drive. My current car, an Acura TL 6mt is the hardest because of the clutch from Hell, although I love the car. Also had a Corvette MT when I was in College and it was easy to shift, the maintenance and constant issues made me sell it within a year. Corvettes are OK as a second "fun" car, not a daily driver. Get a Honda.

12. You realize honda is acura as acura is honda....

13. Yes moses, we know

14. I'm not sure you can say "we" cause I'd bet a few of you had to double check that.

15. #35 ZomgMikeyD, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
    honestly the volkswagen tdi golfs are easy as fuck, you can pretty much dump the clutch in 1st off idle and it wont stall, My truck is actually pretty easy to drive to with the 5 speed. Look for anycar with a decent amount of torque and a oem spec clutch is easy to drive manual.

16. Since they don't produce vr6s right now, I'd guess he would have to buy a old model, old model less electrics, less problems. ;)

Get a fucking e30 325 :wave: cheap, reliable, nice engine and with a locked rear very fun to drive.

17. Obviously I know Acura is owned by Honda. The difference is the clutch in a TL 6MT compared to the clutch in a Civic. The TL clutch feels like the clutch from hell. It engages softly close to the floor, but as you let it out it suddenly "grabs" as it's about 2/3 out. Also, the Civic engine is much easier to hear compared to the TL. I usually glance at the tach to prevent slipping the clutch with too many RPM's as it let the pedal out. It was the first thing I noticed about the TL when I test drove one similar to mine. I hated the clutch but loved the car so much I bought one. Now, I'd rather have an AT because I'm tired of shifting in traffic but I wanted the S package with Brembo Brakes and it wasn't available on AT equipped TL's that year. I've gotten used to it now, but nobody can drive my car without slipping the clutch or stalling it the first time they drive it. Clutch From Hell:(

18. I've got the thing to learn to drive stick on, a Ford 3500 diesel tractor. 6 forward and 4 reverse speeds...and you can start off in any gear without stalling....only goes about 15 mph though....and no radio....

19. so true i have a tdi golf and i never use my gas when starting from a stop. even on hills you can just let the clutch out at idle.

20. But thats just a diesel engine in general. Dont know any diesel car that needs a foot on the gas when starting? The current ford transit even revs up itself if you dumb the clutch too fast.

So yeah, get used to a TDI, switch to a petrol ride later if you want to.