Car Audio(speakers) help, advice needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Blaze_It_Up420, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Ok blades, Im sure one of you at least can help me.

I recently installed a Clarion deck in my 2000 Toyota Camry. Then I wanted more lol and went out and bought some sick Alpine speakers, a set of 6.5" and a set of 6 x 9 ones.

I also bought some Rockford speaker wire to rewire it with. I think this will be the hard part.

Do you think a normal person ie: me, could do this including the rewiring? I looked online and couldnt find much help through google etc.

Thanks,

I know this isnt a car auido forum but I hope someone in the city can help me. I'd rather deal with some people who I post with frequently than some random people.

2. re-wiring isnt necessary, just hook up the speakers and you're good to go

3. I know its not necessary but I hear having better wire helps the sound.

4. The re-wiring is not necessary, you won't notice any difference. IMO it was a waste of money. Take it back and get your money back and buy an amp and subwoofer, you'll need a wiring kit for that and it is possible to do yourself. I do all my own audio work.

5. Why exactly is the rewiring a waste of money?? Ive heard great things.

6. go to autozone or another autoparts store and look through the Haynes or Chilton car manuals and see if they have one for your car, if its open take a look through it and check for what you need. if its not open those are good to have anyway.

if you dont know what you're doing then i wouldnt attempt it because you could get to a point where you dont know how to put every thing back together

good luck and i hope you enjoy your higher quality mobile audio:bongin:

7. Because you have a semi-new car, the speaker wire is just as good as the stuff you bought

8. re-wiring is a good idea...thats stupid to say better wiring wont make any difference...you might also want to get a 4ch amp for these speakers...that clarion wont pull the 4 speakers...they will distort because of the weak built in amp in the clarion. might wanna take all that to a shop to hook it up...too easy to fuck up the electrical system if you don't know what your doing.

9. Hmm the other two had me convinced to do it myself. I have a friend who is very experienced but he is very hard to get ahold of for very long.

10. right now you have a stock stereo installed right? you will need a harness to hook up ur new clarion. im telling you now buy a 4ch amp for those speakers or you will be disappointed trying to run them off the clarion. no power.

11. what is the RMS wattage on the speakers by the way.

12. alpine is good shit man...if i was u i woulda got a different deck then clarion...

like fluffy kush said u are gna want a 4 ch amp, but u dont NEED one....the clarion will push those 4 speakers just fine. i would return the spesker wirre if i was u. ur car wireing is just fine.

the rms on the speaker are probably around 100...which means u want an amp that puts that much wattage out per channel...but u dont ned one lol

i would go buy some fosgate subs and an amp....ur system will fuckn thump man and sound great! u might need a little amp to hear the vocals since ur gna have some loud ass bass if u do that...

13. You dont need to rewire it UNLESS you are putting in a 4 channel amp ...the deck will push them just fine and IF IF IF there could be a differance heard it wont be enough to notice.

14. Go to caraudioforum.com I used to be a member there, nice guys that really know they're stuff. And yes get a 4 channel amp, don't run the speakers off your deck. it might say 50 watts x 4 but in reality its barely 15 watts of shitty power. For the speakers you're using you don't need a high quality amp, but don't lower yourself to getting a shitty one. And stop buying at the stores, I worked at circuit city in the car audio and home audio department and there's a massive markup. For the price you pay for speakers or an amp at those places you can get such better a lot nicer stuff elsewhere. There are some very good online stores to go to, just search around. There are also tons of repuatable power sellers on ebay that can get you 40-60% off msrp. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-06-ROCKFORD...6QQihZ008QQcategoryZ39732QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Thats a nice amplifier, it says 1350 watts!!!!! but that still doesn't mean shit, I don't know why car audio companies (even cool ones like RF used to be) insist on advertising obscene power levels. The amp actually puts out a good 60x4 but thats all you need to make your ears bleed when the speakers are 3 feet from your ear. And don't get Pyle or Pyramid they're shit.

As for re-wiring, do you know what gauge wire you're using now? Because the only reason why you would need a lower gauge wire (more copper) is to carry a larger current. Unless you're new speaker wire is made out of silver you won't notice a difference in sound quality ;)

15. no need to spend all that money on "good" speaker wire. just replace the speakers and youll be fine. the only time youll have to rewire is if your running your front and rear stage speakers both off an amp, rather than directly out of the head unit. its only at that point would using better speaker wire affect the sound quality.

as far as the install goes, it will probably be difficult hiding wires and having to pull off panels, but i recomend getting a Haynes manual so you can look up how to take those panels and such off.

again, i am an experienceds audio installer and there is no need to do anything with your stock speaker wire. i didnt even replace mine in my accord when i amp'd my speakers.

16. Coming from a 5 time World Champ. (usaci,meca,dbdrag)
    If you don't plan to run more power to the upgraded speakers don't worry about the wire……. Now if ya plan to run more power go a head…
    Btw… adding upgraded speakers to a after market deck wont sound as good as the oem speakers…..it a power to speakers ratio thing…..

here are a few of my car audio trophys....
    [​IMG]

17. Holy shit....that's awesome....

18. listen to him, he knows whats up.

and as far as hooking up oem or aftermarket speakers to an aftermarket head unit, the aftermarket speakers, as long as they are actually better than stock, will still sound better, i dont think its power to speaker ratio, thats not really a measurement like power/weight etc.

they wont sound AS good as if they were amplified but they will still sound better. the biggest improvement in sound quality for the best price is simply replaceing your head unit, that makes a huge difference on its own.

19. Thanks for the advice guys!, much appreciated. + rep to everyone who posted.

I did install the deck myself,fairly easy.

Ive decided to scrap the rewiring idea.

Here is the deck I have http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Sz7JTk0m5Jk/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=020DXZ375

and here are the speakers in the front
    http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Type-S...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184339092&sr=8-1

and here is the rear
    http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Type-S...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184339092&sr=8-2

Thanks for the help guys, I think I am going to try to install it myself.

20. Sweet system....good luck installing them. It's really not that hard, just remember where everything went.