Capital punishment/ Physical discipline

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Squishey, Mar 30, 2010.

1. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Many ground breaking psychologists agree that if used in moderation, and correctly, physically disciplining your child is a very effective in a positive way.
    I also beleive this, but all in moderation.

As for capital punishment... not so much.

what are your thoughts?

2. i got spanked everyday of my childhood pretty much, my brother on the other hand rarely got physical discipline. at 14 years old he has a job, money, and girls. im 18, had and lost about 5 jobs in the past year, addicted to drugs and rarely get a girl. i dono mang lol.

3. I don't know man, I was the physically disciplined little brother. I'm doin' more shrooms and smoking 1000x more weed than my older brother has ever done, he has a gf and I can't stay with a girl. He's a well payed musician and I'm a stoner. So yeah, I'm not sure it helps much. But that could just be coincidence.

4. I'm fine with physical punishment in moderation, but I don't think it's necessary at all.

As for Capital punishment, absolutely. But only for the most fucked up of individuals. If someone is running around and raping/murdering people then I think they should be killed. They are a danger to society and you are saving lives by killing them. I don't see how someone can say it's wrong to kill someone that has murdered other people.

5. No to capital punishment, yes to physical discipline with children, in moderation.

6. I agree with this, as long as we include people like pedophiles and such in the "allow to execute" category.

I also think that physical discipline is all right in moderation, though I do see it as being based in insecurity and undesirable traits. EG: "I'll hit you to assert my dominance over you, because you won't respect me otherwise."

7. #7 chronicman00, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
    fuck capital punishment. there is no lesson learned in that.

if i had the option of death or life in prison you better believe id rather be dead.

and capital punishment is hella backwards. why would you kill someone to show that killing someone is wrong? arent you doing what youre preaching against?

8. Spare the rod and spoil the child.

I fully support capitol punishment. To chronicman, capitol punishment is more of a karma thing as in you kill you get killed.

I also think that not everything should call for prison time. If you steal you should be missing a hand, if yo are a sexual predator chop goes Jimmy If you assault someone you should get your ass kicked.

9. well if its more of a karma thing wouldnt you want to have the person live with agonizing mental pain/torture for the rest of their life rather than killing them? cause once theyre dead thats it, no pain, suffering, or lesson learned as opposed to years and years and years of mental torture.

locking up someone in a cell for the rest of their life is one of the worst things you can do to someone.

10. Not when they get time in the yard,a gym,a library,socialization etc....

11. well many prisoners serving life do get time in the yard and they get to work out but theyre often caged alone is special spots. along with solitary confinement. honestly the worst of the worst only got theyre mind left..and some wish they didnt if you know what im sayin. thats why a lot of them try to commit suicide..theyd rather be dead. which is why i dont support capital punishment cause at one point theyre gonna wanna die and making them live through that is torture.

12. I fully agree with Chronicman ! so true. I say tho if you got someone killing/eating bodies or something fucked, Lock them in solitary?
    Not forever but for awhile.
    Being alone without light in a small ass room for a long time?
    Thats hell!!

13. #13 Spikoli, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
    capitol punishment is not to teach a lesson. it is to remove fucked up genetics from the gene pool, in short it is animal husbandry imo. the only things wrong with it is: it is not equally used (in terms of race and social class), and it is too expensive to implement. solve those issues and i would be even more of an advocate than i already am. as a society we have the right to collectively decide what is and is not acceptable behavior and to decide appropriate punishment up to and including execution. all creatures are born with the right to exist, but you can do things to lose that right. it is not an inalienable right, it is a right that you must actively defend. whether it is running faster than predators or following collectively decided social rules. and i agree with the poster who said that molestation should be eligible for death, i would include any sexual assault.....for that matter any unprovoked physical assault should be as well.

physical discipline in children does not necessarily mean corporal punishment (though i am not strictly speaking opposed to that either). i remember several times growing up where my punishment was to run several miles a day, or go weed the tree farm we operated. this serves a variety of purposes, not the least of which is improved stamina and health :D. when you are running 5 miles for punishment, or weeding something that does not need to be weeded, there is no deluding yourself as to why you are doing it. ground me, big deal: take away my tv, boo friggin hoo. now make me run 5 miles in the pouring rain everyday for a week in order to get my privileges back, i don't want to have to do that again. i have also heard of moving a stack of rocks from one place to another, and then back again, etc. the point is that even a kid can see an absolutely pointless exercise when they see one, and nobody wants to be insignificant, if even temporarily.....and the exercise is good for 'em, anybody check out how many unhealthy, overweight kids there are around these days?

14. Physical discipline in moderation, yes.

Capital punishment, no. I do not have enough faith in our justice system to decide whether someone should be put to death.

15. I REALLY wish exile of violent criminals was still an option. That way we could remove those who choose not to live in society with a minimal impact on taxpayers... Are all habitable islands really taken?

16. haha alcatraz failed

17. That was just another prison that we had to pay for (wait, it was Federal, right?).

I am thinking more along the lines of a one way boat ride to the other side of the planet, not just across the bay. Like the English did with Australia back in the day.

18. i was spanked quite a bit as a child. got spanked for nearly everything i did wrong, sometimes multiple "spank sessions". and now im an adult and do a lot of drugs, cant keep a girlfriend, socially fucked up, fighting with everything and everybody, and not caring about anything. coincidence? after reading previous posts its starting to look like its not a coincidence...

19. fuck man sometimes i wish i could exile myself.......you bring up a good point though. in the long lost days of yore there was always a frontier for those who couldn't get along....this is why we need to colonize the moon and mars it'll be like australia 2.0 (but without the messiness of exterminating indigenous peoples.....or will it?????:D)

20. I had my fair share of spanking when I was REALLY out of line, but looking back I felt that it only happened when I was really asking for it.

I am so grateful I had such strict and loving parents. They gave me the foundation of responsibility and discipline that has served me very well my entire life.

I think the key is in WHEN, WHY and HOW MUCH.