Capickuto's First Outdoor Grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Capickuto, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Hello everyone! I have read this site for some time now, and finally decided to join. Not only that, I have started my own outdoor grow and would love to hear some insight. Any advice, or help would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I do know that I am not a pro like some of you on here, and yes, I do know I may not know the "right" way to do things. But I am learning, and would like to learn more about how to make bigger, better, healthier plants. Resulting in higher yields and over all a great experience along the way. With that being said, here goes...

I started on 04/12/16 with 11, different seeds. I started by germinating them in water for 24 hours roughly, or until they completely sank in their cups.

On 04/13/16, after all 11 seeds sunk completely in their water, I switched them over to germinating them in paper towels. This process took about 2 days.

On 04/15/16, I checked on my seeds and they were almost all growing tails from .75in to 1.5in. All of them were planted in Miracle Gro Potting Soil, inside of Red Solo Cups. (A grow buddy of mine actually said it was okay to use MG PS to start the seedlings out, but after reading other forums on this site, other people have said otherwise?)

On 04/21/16, all of the plants have sprouted. They all are showing good growth. I have attached a photo to show their growth.

image.jpeg

On 04/22/16, I discovered a tragedy with one of my favorite strains. The stem had bent over, but was still in tact.
    image.jpeg

A grow buddy of mine, informed me that it is best to keep them under light as much as possible right now, that it can help with growth. So I decided to go invest in 2 CFL 1600Lumens x 6500Kelvin lights. Since the plants are still small and capable of easily being moved, I decided to put them outside during the daylight hours, and move them inside under a light fixture at night.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

On 04/25/16, the plants are looking to me like they are doing well. Although the one plant with the broken stem is still not having any turn around, the others seem to be doing pretty good.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

On 04/26/16, it seems like the plants have grown a noticeable difference over night.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

I plan to continue to update you as this grow continues. Please feel free to let me know if you have any advice that would help me.

Until next time, happy growing. Stay up!

-Capickuto

Attached Files:

2. 04/27/16 - Just watered my plants from the bottom of the solo cups. They are currently being watered every 3-5 days. Definitely seeing some growth over night. I think the 24hr sunlight is doing well. Any thoughts? A lot of upward growth on the leaves as well. My cripple is about done, but I don't want to give up on him yet. I am still putting them outside during the prime daylight hours, than moving them back inside at night under the 2x CFL's. Should I get more of the CFL's? I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

Anyway, here's some updated pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 05/02/16 - Have had the plants inside for a few days due to bad weather outside, storms and wind. Have added more lights also to the indoor area. I am now running 6x CFL 1600Lumens x 2-6500Kelvins and 4-5000Kelvins. Definitely some growth from the plants showing. The plants have been on an 18/6 hour light schedule.

[​IMG]

A few of the plants are showing some curly leaves. The attached below shows what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

I have also started looking into a soil for transferring them into. Was looking at the Sunshine Mix #4. Either that, or looking further into a "Peat-based Organic Potting Soil".

4. Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners
    Your cutting it a bit close to mix your own soil but it's doable just skip using to much alfalfa or chicken manure as both need (cook) time in a mix.. about 30 days..
    Promix or most any compressed peat is your base..
    Compost is the 2nd part and aeration is the last third, Perlite in my case....
    Lowes sells peat
    HD has 2 CF bags of perlite for 16 bucks
    Ecoscraps from HD is acceptable compost..
    Bu's biodynamic is likely the best you can buy with Coast of Maine lobster compost a close 2nd.. Don't cut corners on the compost as it really is the heart and soul of a good mix..
    BNW

5. Those plants are looking good, Any new updates?

6. How's it looking?

deadhead (~):}

7. The girls are actually looking pretty good. Sorry I haven't kept up on the updates, but tonite I plan to post some new pictures along with the different strains they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app