cant stop eating, gaining weight.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Sunny Jim, Feb 24, 2014.

1. I've always been a semi chunky guy, but this summer-fall I really felt like I had finally gotten my fitness level moving in the right direction. I was working out, eating right, and by January I had lost nearly 30 pounds (going from nearing 250 to 220ish. I'm 6'2"). But, I've had some serious stress in my life recently related to losing employment and having to discontinue my education, and I've gone back to my old habit of overeating in order to cope with anxiety.

I've gained back nearly 15 pounds in the last two months (ever since Christmas), and I feel like I lack the willpower to get back on track. Mostly I feel like regardless of my activity level, I will still overeat. Plus, being stuck inside with three feet of snow on the ground doesn't help (don't ski/snowboard, and I have no money for winter sports). 

Basically I'm looking for advice/encouragement, because I'm feeling pretty down about my reversal of progress.

2. You've lost the weight before so at least you know that you can do it. That should be a good motivator at least to start. If you have to overeat, just start overeating with more healthy options. Load up on the fruits and nuts for your snacking instead of chocolates and other sweets or whatever you are eating.

If you really can't get outside to exercise, suck it up and buy a work out tape. I know a lot of guys have a hard time accepting work out vids as a manly enough option but they get the job done! And $15 is enough for months of exercising.

3. Pushups and ab workouts are always good to do at home, all you need is a floor.  So is a treadmill if you have the resources to buy one or join a gym. 

4. Shrink the size of your stomach. It's pretty shitty kind of brutal, and I kind of did it unintentionally. But holy shit my portions are literally like half the size they used to be. I can't even remember the last time I gained a single pound above my base weight. (155lbs) It always fluctuates. 

So yeah definitely not the healthiest approach. But it works for me. I just didn't eat all day until 5pm or so for a year.. And often times I'd only eat once or twice a day while staying fairly active. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but it's extremely nice not ever having to really worry about gaining anything since I have a pretty good metabolism as well. 

Sounds like what they're promoting as the warrior/paleo diet; you only eat during the evening, and you only eat lean proteins (aside from fruits and veggies, of course). My gf's brother is a major paleo fanatic and he recommends this, but it seems honestly a bit absurdly masochistic to me. 

And yeah, I know I can muster the wherewithal to lose the weight again...But it's still discouraging to backslide. Thanks for the encouragement, blades. Know I just gotta quit bitching and do it already. 

6. This will cause some pretty bad stomach problems.. I would know, i wouldn't eat until dinner time pretty much all of highschool. Im now paying for it with a pretty messed up stomach but idk i havent gone to the doctor about it lol

7. I haven't looked much into the paleo diet but only eating at night seems awfully silly to me.

Even if you are only eating lean meats, you still want to be careful with how much meat you are eating. And you should only be eating 2-4 ounces of meat at each of your 5-7 small meals a day. Mostly your foods should be fruits, veggies, and nuts.

8. Little more purge, little less binge.

9. #9 TheShadow420, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014

Worst idea ever.

I've had horrible eating habits for the past decade or so (not eating breakfast, not eating until after school, eating late, inconsistent eating - sometimes large portions, sometimes a few pieces of bread for the whole day) and it has left me with constant stomach problems - there aren't any specific problems or illnesses, but I constantly have a different one pop up every so often (and awhile ago I had more serious issues where I couldn't eat anything fried - had to fix that up). Bad eating habits just makes your stomach vunerable to all sorts of bad shit that can end you up with a ruined health permanently.

I have now switched over to WAY more healthier eating, but fuck... the stomach problems still pop up and I just don't recommend doing this type of diet - it's fucking stupid, it's going to be less painful (in the long-term and also short-term while you're starving yourself every day) to just one day shove a knife into your stomach and cut it in half, then sew the stomach back in and put all your cut-up flesh and skin back.

Best idea on what to change in eating habits? Eat a lot, but eat small - about 4-5 meals a day, but keep them in a reasonable size so you don't feel completely full after eating them, but have enough to go on with your day. Try to play around with the meal sizes and tune them down if it's too much (even a small meal like a few fruits and a drink works). DO NOT use the stupid idea of not eating the whole day and then taking your whole daily portion during the evening in a single or two meals - that WILL destroy your health and can be counterproductive (since your body will have to recycle everything while you sleep and you'll be gaining a lot of weight).

Even better idea is to have those 4-5 meals completely healthy (vegetables, fruits, proteins, no unneeded fat, E-shits and other syntethic crap). If you can't get yourself to eat the lass-tasty healthy food (sometimes it happens), you always have weed to give you the appetite boost and make everything taste good. ;) If you eat healthy, you will notice overall improvement in your health and even mood, your life will just generally improve and it doesn't even take that much of effort, just a lot of willpower and motivation (you don't even need to go over the top with the eating, just try to have as much healthy in your life as possible (since a full-on no-shit diet might be quite expensive), while allowing yourself to munch on some delicious snacks twice a week or so).

I'm sorry, but please do not put words into my mouth. I wasn't promoting or recommending it. 

"Probably wouldn't recommend it"

For someone like yourself, who appears to just have no motivation or self control, this would work. For me, it was more like, I was a broke as dick college student and I had other priorities, like paying $60 an eighth for weed and not having groceries. And I only say this because whatever you were doing that was "working" is obviously not long-term enough. Really you just need to man the fuck up and get down to business. Doesn't matter if there's 3 foot of snow on the ground there is still plenty you can do. Get off your ass and start shoveling! That'll give you an intense workout while being productive. Do squats/pushups/etc. indoors. Save your money spent on winter sports/whatever and get some other basic equipment of your own. Join the closest gym! There is so much you can do. Go to the mall or something and do laps all day if you're too broke for a membership. 

People make excuses all day long. I used to be really bad about it and sometimes I still do it. Once you really analyze every "excuse" that you give, you realize it's all bullshit and that you're just being a unmotivated pussy about it. 

You're fucking stupid then if you did that for ten years. I even advocated in my post, IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU. There's a reason after a year or so of that shit I finally told myself "You need to get your shit together and eat more regularly." But when I did so, my portions magically decreased. I've never felt better, I used to have constant stomach problems PRIOR to doing all of this shit. So bad that I would miss work/class because of it. I haven't felt that way in over a year, at all. When it used to be a daily thing. 

It sounds like you were a lot more retarded about it than I was. I don't recall ever eating a few slices of bread and that being it for the whole day. 

12. #12 Akoyain, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    A better/healthier way to shrink you stomach (which is a feasible idea) is to eat soups, broaths, and smoothies throughout the day. That way you are still getting the nutrients you need while shrinking your stomach. Also youtube is a great place to watch workout vids and get variety. Find someone you enjoy watching that you feel is motivational.

Hope this helps :) Good Luck

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Oh for sure if I could do it all over again I would have been on some kind of diet like that instead of not eating at all. Some of it was depression/anxiety whatever you want to call it too. I've seen quite a few girls look fucking fantastic after developing vigorous workout routines and doing this herbalife shit and the like for their diet. 

14. eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. the best part about a raw diet is that you can practically eat as much as you want without gaining weight .. given the fact that you're physically active

I was a fucking little kid and could care less about what my eating habits were. Might not have defined well what "a few slices of bread" , but that's irrevelant. It didn't cause me any actual trouble when I was doing it, just ate when I wanted to and was sometimes lazy to get more.

16. #16 Sunny Jim, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014

Why such a dick?

And I said "They're", not "You're". I've seen quite a bit out there in the media advertising the paleo/warrior diet. I never said that you, flickyourdick...err, I mean "bic", were in any way promoting the paleo/warrior diet.

And furthermore how do you know if I have "no motivation or self control"? Go fuck yourself, you arrogant douche. The negativity on this forum is boggling. I've been a member since '09, and this used to be a happy place.

17. Bro impossible for me I can't stop eating no way

18. #18 flickyourbic, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014

Are you retarded? You're really going to pull that bullshit when I fucking came out and said in my post: "I'm sorry, but please do not put words into my mouth. I wasn't promoting or recommending it. "

You're really going to call me a dick and make a cute little name for me when I say shit like "I'm sorry but please". Yeahhhh FUCK YOU. You're a lazy fucking piece of shit. Re-read my post you fucking idiot. I was nothing but courteous, yet blunt, with you and was trying to help you. But yeah you go fuck yourself there champ. Go ahead and continue doing what you're doing, it's all you're good for anyways. 

And don't try to pull rank either. I've been here since 09' and this place is a joke now because of people like you. 

19. Just face it your problem is YOU'RE FUCKING LAZY. GET OFF YOUR ASS AND DO SOMETHING AND YOU WON'T BE A FATASS.

/THREAD 

20. Eat 3 meals a day with normal portions. Move around more.