Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cant Roll A Joint

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by heisenbear, Jun 6, 2014.

1. So I've been smoking for a while now but I can't roll a joint. At the start my friends rolled the joints and then we started smoking bongs and pipes for ages. Now I want to start smoking joints (cone) again, but can't. People say you should practice but I can't even practice, that's how bad I am. I roll the filter, fill it up, roll it between my fingers and can't go any further after that. Is there any tips or tricks I could use to get better?

• Like Like x 1
  2. watch some YouTube videos maybe, but it really is just practice, over and over again. I bought a bag of shitty tobacco so that I could work on my technique without wasting herb.

I was the same way and can now roll joints that satisfy me and the people I'm smoking with. Keep trying~

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Just keep practicing. If your friends can roll, ask them to teach you or watch them roll and learn from them. I started out rolling blunts and when I switched to joints, I thought I could never roll one but one of my friends helped me and now I love rolling them. Once you roll it between your fingers to even it out, start from the filter and tuck the paper in and roll. Start from one side and roll to the other, don't try and roll the whole thing at once. 

4. What's this filter nonsense lol.

Step 1

Grind it up fairly fine or break it up as small as possible. I like to do this over a book or magazine. A good hard surface and something you can pick up.

I like to use filterless papers.

Also as a new roller you want to get larger papers to start off with.

Anyways I start with the glue strip on top licking side up.

Dump the ground up bud into the paper and use your finger to even it out. Leave a little paper visible at each end.

Pick it up the paper,hold it even and start with your forefingers and thumbs in the middle.

Apply enough pressure to lightly compact it inside the paper and roll your fingers and thumbs back and forth.

Move up and down the paper evenly compacting it.

Once compacted its ready to roll.
    Roll the non glue side up enough to fold over the greens.

Now the tricky part.

Keep your fore fingers in the middle and use your thumbs to hold the edge of the paper against itself and roll your fingers. Once the fold has started you can roll and unroll it to make it even.

As you run out of rolling paper lick the glue and roll it until it adheres to the paper.

The first many you do will probably look like balloon puppets. Don't worry. It gets much easier.

5. It was impossible for me at first. Had to watch many youtube videos. Want my advice? DON'T use guides that don't have a video. You need to have a video in order to understand what you have to do. A guide with text only is very hard to understand and interpret. Find a good youtube video of a guy rolling a joint. Once you find a good video, practice, practice, practice. Good luck :smoke:

Filters is the part where you smoke out of but it stops the weed and resin getting into/onto your mouth. Like the yellow part of a cigarette. I love using filters even in blunts, weed won't get into my mouth, no resin and it makes the blunt hit better. 

• Like Like x 1
  7. start with a thick cigarette rolling paper. there easier to roll with and just spend your time massaging your joint. If it burns even your on the right course.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Man, best way to do it start small. Start out trying to roll a cigarette size paper joint, then when you feel confident go large skins. I always find as long as the tip of the j is tight, the rest can just be stuck and pushed down. Good luck!

Can someone please explain why people roll joints without a 'roach'... i.e filter at the end. I see a lot of Americans doing it, where do you smoke out of? Surely all the weed at the end just gets wet and soggy and you can't smoke right up to the end so it's a bit of a waste. Am I missing something lol

9. #10 Bill Dauterive, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
    It's not a waste, its called a roach.

Comes in handy and they colllect resin.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I can't speak for all americans... But this american doesn't mix tobacco and weed. No need for a filter. If they are rolled right you dont get shit in your mouth either.

Do you chew on it or something¿

11. When I wanted to learn to roll I just did it over and over again until I got it right. Roll the joint, take it apart, get a new sheet and start over again.  Eventually I got pretty good.

When I recently started up again after 20+ years of not smoking my fingers went right to it and I rolled a decent one the first time out.  So.... Practice makes perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hello,
    I too, have never had success rolling a joint. I think there is two reasons for this, firstly, that the weed I use is dry, when ground, and therefore falls out of the paper very easily; and secondly, the paper i use (RAW hemp papers), is very difficult to manipulate. I can never get it to 'tuck in', and if i do, the end result is lumpy and looks rubbish. Also, I lick the papers, it doesn't seal; this may be because the joint, when rolled, is lumpy and uneven in diameter.
    I realise, now, I have listed more than two reasons, my bad...
    I have looked at YT videos, but what happens on screen when they roll, I can't replicate, because of the above. I have thought of mixing in rolling tobacco, but it is very expensive, even for a small pack.

Thank you
    Nick

13. There are other ways to smoke besides just using paper. But if you are set on rolling, there are rolling machines out there and pre-rolled cones that all you have to do is stuff the weed in there. The have humidors but my son-in-law showed me a trick to keep the bud from drying out. And that's to put a small square of lettuce in there with it. Make sure you checked it and replace the lettuce if you go this route. Or use pipe, bong, etc.

14. Thanks OrionM42,
    that's is very helpful. cheers nick

15. Don't think so - about the chewing - I find that when I grind the bud up, it is loose and fine; and falls out of the joint very easily. I also find the paper very thin (RAW hemp) and very, very difficult to 'tuck' it, and it doesn't seal, after licking.
    thanks
    nick (from melb, aust)

16. thanks nick

17. thanks for reply, nick