Canoe project

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by kindone, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Been meaning to fix up this old canoe for years so hear she goes.

- repair holes in fiberglass with bondo's fiberglass repair kit
    - sand her down real good
    - clean with mineral spirits
    -2 coats of rustoleums marine primer for fiberglass with sanding in between
    -1 coat of rustoleum sand beige gloss topside marine coat
    - bought four colors of rustoleum spray camo colors
    - Black= I fanned straw out with my hands and sprayed
    - Green= sprayed over leaf stencil I found on google,saved to pics,
    and printed
    -Brown= sprayed over stick stencil
    -Kakhi= sprayed over marsh grass stencil

We will see how she holds up after a season of abuse.

Attached Files:

2. What a great project, man. That's so awesome. The paint job is boss.

How long did that take you from start to finish?

3. Thanks bro, I didn't reaaly track the time but I patched fiberglaas 1 day, sanded the next day, put 1 coat of primer on each day after that and then the topcoat paint the day after that. I sprayed all the camo in 1 day, gave each coat about 20min to dry in my 55 degree garage. I still have enough paint for at least 1 more canoe maybe two, and I have about $50 wrapped up in paint, primer and acetone.

4. Looks pretty good man! Where are you takin this sucker? Camping, hunting, fishing? Hunting looks like the obvious choice but I could be wrong.

5. Very nice job, and great project. I have a one man canoe in need of fixing.. you just inspired me to get on it. Peace on the water :)

6. Thank you, It gets used for everything I never take a trip up north without it anymore. I have owned many canoe's over the last 15 years and will always have one. I fish year round,canoe camp, take several river trips localy and to northern Michigan every year. I have not yet hunted out of it but that is the plan for this year,duck for sure and I would love to shoot a deer out of this thing.

7. Took the freshly painted canoe out for her maiden voyage on sunday. I floated a small stretch of the upper parts of the river raisin. We traveled upstream just in case we hit an area that was frozen over. We hit a shitload of ice shelfs, ice burgs, went over two downed trees that rode the bottom hard and beat the shit out of the old girl for a couple of hours. The paint job held up good, there are 1 or 2 very small spots that were scraped down to the old finish and are hard to see unless your looking for them. I thought the damage would be much worse and I am very happy. Fished a bit too with no bites.

8. The canoe looks great man! Hope it holds up in the long run for ya!