Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

CannaPharm Medical Oil Book Update & Holiday Edibles & Bowls - Oct2012~thru~Jan2013

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by BadKittySmiles, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ok soooo I'm pretty sure the issue is your alcohol.... I do pretty much the same thing just without the alcohol..... It wasn't ISO was it? Cause that's probably really bad you might wanna go see a doc if it was....

2. I used Everclear...

3. #43 TheHashashin, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
    Well that's good did you read somewhere to do that? It's not in the first post of her thread for the caps I do not think... I never did alchihol and they kinda help my stomach (like say when I am hungover)

Edit
    Also I do not know but if u used gelatin caps and they brake down over time (ya know melt...) it's a good bet everclear is still present...

4. #44 TheHashashin, Jan 19, 2013
    Deleted

5. What effect does that have if there is any alcohol left? It appeared as nice dry coconut oil before I heated it. I figured any excess alcohol would cook off right away.

6. #46 TheHashashin, Jan 19, 2013
    Deleted cause half this answer was for this thread as the other half a different thread!

7. you are a god

8. #48 BadKittySmiles, Jan 19, 2013
    Just a little update, I've just started 'principle photography' or the primary filming and shooting of the footage for the Summit,
    over the last two days! :yay:

Things have been VERY busy here, I'm beginning to wonder what I've got myself into :p

And yes, the majority of the Summit is available to the public in the form of a free online event, to be aired/streamed world-wide
    with heavy documentation, some live and some pre-recorded footage, but.... and I don't want to reveal anything from my
    discussion with the organizers of the Summit too soon, especially anything that I may have been 'reading too much into'.... but, if
    there happens to be good momentum and a venue during a few, or all of the days in their local area, then I may just find myself in
    Canada and in the area for a few days. And I'll just leave it at that for now. :)

Oh! Here's a neat little 'flier' a patient made for me with the tentative name of the video!

[​IMG]

I'll see what I can do! :p Just as a heads-up before I get going, it can be a little harder for me to make many comments
    on a process with so many changes from tutorials we've been discussed here :)

And the everclear/alcohol should be safe with or without purging, where it's a drinking alcohol, and it's what you'd use
    make a tincture or Green/Golden Dragon :) When it comes to less-edible solvents, even many clinics and caregivers use BHO/
    butane oil for their concentrates and when making edible oils, they often feel it is safe or acceptable with appropriate purging, and
    lab testing, and it may well be much of the time.
    We like to use the ethyl/grain labor food-grade alcohol, however, as seen in the concentrate tutorial linked on the first page
    (ie. virtually the same as the high grade Everclear, sometimes at 99% if we're lucky enough to get the 'absolute' lab grade, which
    is just a more concentrated and more purified version of the more common stuff you'd find in the vodka aisle.... by using a
    food-grade solvent when making concentrates, it adds the peace of mind that if any trace solvent is left behind, it's not going to
    harm you ;) ).

So! To start off with, did you make 30 or 50 capsules?

Knowing at least roughly how much you've made, is very important when it comes to dosing.

If we aren't sure whether you've made a certain number of caps, or nearly twice that many, it can make the difference between
    whether or not you'd need to nearly double your intake in order to meet the gram dose you're looking for. :)

At 50 capsules for instance, if you wanted to consume your dose of a gram, you'd need to have eaten about 8 caps.

But at 30 capsules, you were only just under the dose you were looking for by eating four capsules, so the next items to
    look at are processing methods, and the state of your digestion (ie. if you were very hungry and ate them on an empty stomach,
    you may have over-metabolized the potency... this is why you'll see so many people suggesting to take edibles shortly after a
    small snack or meal containing reasonable amounts of protein and fat).

Also, is there a particular reason (oven/temp limitations maybe?) that you diverted from the CannaPharm recipes when first decarbing, and again when processing in oil?

The tutorials for instance describe decarbing for 25 - 30 minutes at 220 F, and then your material continues receiving heat for an additional ten minutes as the oven cools down from that temperature.

At only 175, and for just 18 minutes (and especially being unsure if there was any cool-down in the oven, or if it was removed
    immediately), I'm guessing it was probably only close to half-way done at best, less if it was removed from heat right away.

So with the dosing, and the number of caps made to the number taken, the extended oil cooking but at slightly lower temps than we
    use, and where we're unsure just how much or little decarboxylation occured at such a low temp, for such as short time, it's really
    tough to say whether or not you just needed more cooking time, to make up for the decarb (where it takes much, much longer
    to remove the carboxyl group once sealed in oil), or whether you just need to get the right dose dialed in.

It may just take a little more trial and error with the batch you're working on, due to all the above. :)

---

In the end, always make sure you keep track of the steps you've taken and that you're processing in a controlled manner,
    from one batch to the next, striving even to use the same utensils and cooking containers for at least your first few batches....
    If you make changes to your process accidentally or not, or even to your tools, make a note of it and try not to change
    anything else
    , otherwise you won't know what alteration was the most responsible for any change in the end-
    effects provided by your meds.

Long story short, for anyone reading along, be sure that you read and follow the tutorial closely, especially early on!

As a little disclaimer :)p), I feel like I should probably mention that the steps used above do divert quite a lot from any of the
    tutorials I've provided and mentioned in this thread!
    When the tutorials are followed closely for at least your first few tries, you can not only expect more consistent end-results, but
    once you get the basics down, you'll also have much more success when experimenting with altered temps and
    different processing lengths in order to produce meds tailored to your specific needs.

If the method used differs too much, from what I've described in the tutorials, it's a bit hard for us to judge just what needs
    changing, besides just starting from scratch, and following the original tutorials and going from there.
    So beginning by following the directions from start to finish, makes it much easier for you, and a lot easier for me to help you
    make adjustments to your subsequent batches, based on the specific effects the original tut. provides, so the results are
    finally tailored to your needs. :hello:

Anyhow, I'm sorry you're having trouble with the batch you're on now, LG, but I hope this helps you get it nailed down! :cool:

In the meantime, it's back to work for me! :bongin::D :wave:

9. Well it looks like I reversed the oven temps from the tutorials... my bad, the computer is on a different floor of the house, and I must have mixed it up in my head.. My flowers are about four months old, so I wanted to err on the side of caution during the decarb. I think I over did it on the first batch, and I didn't want to do that again..

30 caps on the batch I am currently on BK, (50 was the batch before) and they are working, just feel like there ought to be more effect (two caps is about like eating a cookie as far as effect goes). Think I'll try like ten of them at once, and if that doesn't get me where I want to be then I'll know I really messed up.

Thanks kitty, If you are ever around Cape Cod btw, you've got a friend here..

10. BadKittySmiles you have no idea of the number of people you have helped educate on the science of cooking. There is some material out there but little of it explained well enough that we start to understand why our process fails when we alter it even slightly. Who knew pot was so delicate!

Thanks for all the work you've done as it really has been the best of the best stuff on any site I've found.

So I am an amatuer at making edibles and cooking is pretty basic for me.
    Never decarb'd before and want to try that today.
    I would highly suggest, esp. since I've gotten mediocre results from oil extraction attempts so far when baking (not making the oil on the stovetop), that there is a thread that just makes a simple and proven method for decarb'ing. It seems to be vital as I made a good coconut oil and put it on lemon sorbet ice cream. It was fairly edible taste-wise and it really didn't work out effect-wise though.

Point is that even recipes others have found success with seem to produce inconsistent results if we miss even one step (esp when everyone presumes you know it already).

So I am hoping to find a way to effectively decarb today without a oven bag. I have a metal cooking dish; tin foil; special stuff (One month old. Stored in vacuum'd glass jar in a dark closet); coconut oil; brownie mix; eggs.

Hoping to make a batch of brownies with maybe 10g. Maybe 20 brownies after I figure, so .5 each roughly.

I've had ok success with cana-butter but the taste was so crappy even making cookies. Not to mention I probably lost a decent amount of oil cooking on a gas stovetop (used water-fill pot with 4 sticks butter and 1oz. stuff).

One day I hope to make an easy and quick edible with easy to find ingredients.

Last note is education for all please note:
    One reason I am really driven to find an edible solution is that I have smoked daily for 28 years and now in my very early 40's (OMFG please stop this time BS!!!). Mostly used a pipe and smoked non-med grade, frequency of a chain smoker (2-4 bowls weekday evenings, 1-2g on days off).
    I have had a obviously benign tumor on the inside of my cheek near the lips maybe 8 years ago.
    I HAVE NOT SMOKED OR BEEN AROUND SMOKERS SINCE when I smoked when I was 13 years old for 1 year.
    SMOKING ANYTHING CAN CAUSE CANCER, but pot doesn't cause lung cancer so far that I've found at all so it is mainly mouth/throat/nose that you should be aware of.

Unfortunately I just found a new growth a month ago, small though, on my uvela (the dangly thing in the back of your throat). Been using a vape for about 1 year but I don't know when the growth started as I haven't checked more than the cheecks myself. Dentist noticed where 6 months and further ago she didn't so maybe recent. Scary for me if vape isn't safe enough for me either.
    So edibles here we go!!!

That speil wasn't meant to spook or be a pity party, it's not a huge problem and they'll just cut it out I'm sure. I just wanted people to start to realize Pot can cause cancer and we need to consider our delivery methods when you are a frequent users over a long time.
    Edibles are a great thing and it's just a shame we can't buy commercially made products easily everywhere. One day, but not soon enough on the east coast!

Sorry to go off topic and thanks for any thoughts, esp if you know of a simple decarb method without the bag!!! LOL