Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

CannaCoconut Oil and Simmer Times

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Deleted member 638051, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Let me start out by saying that I've been making edibles, mostly brownies and hard candy, for a couple years now. I use them for pain and share with a few other pain relief seekers. Learned from reading here, it's all been good.
    I read here a lot about putting an 8th or quarter into a pan of brownies. I can't do that. I'm not looking to get buzzed, I'm looking for total pain relief. I started with 1oz decarbed into 2 cups of coconut oil, lately I have been using as much as 1 1/2 oz decarbed to a cup of coconut oil with soy lecithin added. I'm using trim and popcorn that I grow myself. I don't want to take a tolerance break. Pharmaceuticals suck!

I thought I'd read here somewhere that the longer you simmer in the oil, the more couchlock effect you'll get. So I tried that. I "was" decarbing 1oz for 40 minutes @230*, and add a cup of coconut oil, into a pickle jar with a wide opening (easier to work with the stuff) then simmer in the crock pot on high for 4 hours. Let the jar cool to the touch, and freeze for minimum 2 hours, then thaw and back to the crock pot for 4 hours, then squeeze/strain and add the lecithin and it's ready to use and store the rest in the freezer. With this formula, in the past 2 years I have graduated from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of oil to a pan of brownies. Everyone who eats my brownies says they really kick ass. Now I'm personally looking for a bigger bang.

This time:
    I used a full jar of trim and popcorn. It's all been through my hand grinder (as usual) I didn't weigh it but I guesstimate about a good 2 oz of grinded weed in this quart sized pickle jar. Added one cup of coconut oil (all I could fit in the jar at the time) and put into the crock pot. About 2 hours into the simmer it dawned on me that I totally never thought to decarb. DAMN! Well....all I can do now is simmer for a long time and hope it decarbs somewhat in the heat of the crockpot.
    Simmered 24 hours, cooled and froze for 5 hours, then thawed and simmered an additional 24 hours. Squeezed that oil into another 2oz full pickle jar, (decarbed this time 50 minutes @240*) added another cup of coconut oil and repeated - 24 hours in the crockpot, cool and freeze 5 hours, thaw and simmer for 24 hours, strain and add lecithin. Came out shoe polish black.

Results:

I used half cup to make a pan of pumpkin bread for my daughter. I have a pan that divides into 12 pieces. After cooling and removing from the pan I had enough scraps to gather and make another piece about half the size of the others. (brownie mix don't RISE like pumpkin, wasn't expecting that) I decided to test drive that extra one.
    About an our later my head was racing, my heart was beating faster (so it seemed) I was figidy, shaky, and couldn't figure out what to do with myself. Long as I was up doing something I was ok, had good energy, was completely painless, and in a lifted mood. Got things done. But anytime I tried to sit, I'd start talking to myself, frantically rolling joints for something to do, till I can't stand it no more and have to get up and burn off some energy. Repeating to myself "it's only weed, it's only weed, it can't hurt me". I haven't been cranked like this since unmentionables in the 80's. Turned out to be a very energetic day. I think I enjoy this much more than couchlock. I was expecting the exact opposite effect. But if you go here, be dangerously cautious! 1 piece seemed equivalent to eating 4 pieces of my kickass brownies. I was so painless and energetic I'm thinking I might start looking for a job again.
    So.... I walk away wondering why this didn't just knock my ass out and let me sleep the rest of the day like I was expecting?
    I wish I could just come here to GC and get schooled like a college class, but I guess there are just as many opinions as there is metabolisms.

Thoughts, educated knowledge, scientific explanations, etc.? Was it just "more weed" or you think the "method" has anything to do with it?

2. Great story ronhip thanks for sharing. Couple questions. Do you use an insulator under the jar? Is the water level equal to or higher than the oil level? Does the water boil, or have you tried to measure the temperature of the oil while its cooking like with a IR thermometer? Just trying to learn from your experience.
    My guess is the non decarbed oil retained enough THC for a nice buzz but anything that may have tempered it, like terpenes, are long gone.
    OTOH, if it were overheated too much the CBN should put you to sleep. :confused_2:

3. #3 Deleted member 638051, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    No insulator. Haven't measured any temps, but with the crockpot set on "high" (off-low-high) the water don't boil, but gets pretty hot. On occasion I hear a little "thunking" going on like steam is escaping from under the jar. I fill the water level till the jar barely starts to float, then adjust till it just won't float - remain standing on the bottom. I don't allow them to become buoyant because they are used jars and I have had leakage from the lids before. So I just make sure they will stand up.

I am confused as well. I was speeding and talking excessively, but not grinding my teeth, so to speak. Exactly the opposite of what I was expecting the long simmer time to do. But my pain was completely gone (not just "managed") for an entire day! So I don't really give a shit. I just know I can't take this later in the day if I plan on sleeping.
    Just looking to share and ponder the info. Perhaps this thread will bring about some interesting insight. Or just thought provoking comments.

4. I just checked with IR, crockpot temp is 200f with a jar cooking in it.

5. i thought too high a temp would burn the weed?

6. Correct, that is why a crock pot is very useful.

7. Hello, I'm new to forums and edibles. I've been experimenting with infused coconut oil. I like your ideas, especially since I am getting some trim soon and have never made oil with it. Happy Infusing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. No apology needed. This is an old thread dating from 2015. We find people don't check the date of the last posting and some are looking for an answer to their questions. Likely not going to happen on a long dead thread is all I meant.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. You did not intrude! You used the search function which we ask you to use. Some threads haven't been updated in a while, but today is as good a day as any to resurrect a thread for a good cause. I tell you, if I had a bunch of trim, over an ounce, I'd blast it and make coconut oil with the BHO. Blasting's not for everyone. There are safety concerns, but I have been able to do it safely. It takes the goodness and puts it in a small package.