Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannacaps Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by pharmx, May 22, 2014.

1. So just experimented with OldHippie's canna caps instructions, results are not satisfactory. I will run through my steps and I'd like to know any thoughts on where I went wrong.

Tolerance: a 0.2g firecracker gives me satisfaction, a 0.4g firecracker takes me to woahjoe town.

My procedure for the unsatisfactory canna caps were as follows:
    Decarbed flower at 220f for 30min, then heated 5ml coconut oil in mini crockpot(warm is the only heat setting). To ensure enough liquid covered the product so I wouldn't burn it off, I added 10ml of water to the 5ml coconut oil. The desired potency was 0.2g/0.5ml (with #0 capsules, this is 0.2g/capsule). After the melted coconut oil + water were mixed I added 2g of flower in hopes of making ten capsules with the desired strength. I heated/stirred the mixture for just over 90min and then filled capsules and refrigerated. I tried 2 capsules(~0.4g) and felt nothing. Then I tried 3 capsules still to no avail. I did a small batch just for this reason, so that if it failed I wouldn't have wasted too much supply.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

2. im inexperienced in making canna-oil/butter but from my gained knowledge is that the cooking time wasn't long enough,

3. #3 pharmx, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014
    Thanks for the response reod. I will definitely try to go longer this next batch. I am going to heat for longer, but now my concern is if the temperature gets hot enough for the binding to occur? It's the ill dipper crockpot, the internal temperature seems to hover around 130 Fahrenheit. Any thoughts?

edit: temperature is now about 160 Fahrenheit, not sure if this keeps going up or if there's a max that it reaches. So I guess I want to know this: what the minimum temperature that the oil phase would need to be at for binding THC?

4. why would you add water?  I don't think you needed that.  Badkitty always recommends the addition of lechitin to increase bioavailability

5. I added water to keep the product submerged and to keep from burning off, but the water eventually evaporates off leaving a concentrated oil in the end. I was thinking about adding lecithin but upon further reading and concerns about the byproduct of our natural flora's metabolism of lecithin (and the associated increased risk of cardiovascular disease), I decided against adding it.

So I slow cooked the new batch for 5 hours, just tried 2 capsules post prandial. I will post the results!

6. How did it work? And does this work with vaped weed since it is already activated?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. Results are below par. After 1 hour from ingestion of 2 capsules, I popped 2 more (bringing total consumption to 0.8g, assuming ~0.2g/pill). Although some lightening of the mood was noticed, along with minimal body high, it is still a level that is far surpassed by a 0.4 firecracker.

Slugger I would not use your vaped weed for this as vaporizing will remove most of the THC of your product. I'm having potency issues and I use quality flower (decarbed of course).

Anybody with thoughts/input?

8. #8 BioMeds, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    First off sorry for such a long post. I would definitely think cooking time was a factor. BadKittySmiles suggest baking 40 mins to an Hour, then freezing for 8 full hours, then bake for another 1 to 6 hours after thaw. The 1-6 hours is the difference between a "head" high and a "body" high. I have a thread on here called My first and Second Batch of Canna Oil caps on the first or second page. My thread has every step with pictures of everything I did. I only need to eat one and I'm stoned. I chose to bake one hour, then froze for 10 hours and once thawed I baked for another 5 hours. Usually the darker the oil the better, mine was almost black. How dark was yours? If you read my thread you'll see that my first Batch was lightly colored and was very weak. The second batch was very, very dark and knocked me on my butt. From what I've read, the freezing step also increases bioavailability. These are small time consuming steps but these steps is what made the difference between my first and second batch. Also, I did add lecithin to the Decarbed bud before adding the oil. I only used half of what was recommended for use because I also read about the cardiovascular problems. You gotta think though, these people with cardiovascular problems probably use this as a supplement almost everyday. Use accordingly, and only use half the recommended amount for the canna caps If your worried and you should be fine. Just use a little if you do. If not that's no big deal, cause I worry about my health too. You can skip the lecithin step and still have potent caps. Just follow the steps including freezing to the T. I skipped small steps and got weak caps because I was rushing. Second batch I took time and it was bam in my face, thank god I didn't take two LMAO. But even with that said, I still feel when I empty a cap into a teaspoon of yogurt a lot more than swallowing just the cap for some reason. I dont know. I still just take one cap though and I'm blowed. I am curious to know if yours turned out light or dark though so get back with me. I bet they are light if they were not very potent. Sorry if I misspelled anything, I'm on my phone.

9. I started off with a 3 hour bake at 220 Fahrenheit, 4 hour freeze, 60 minute bake and after testing learned I had not extracted much of the desired product. I ended up rushing things based on a recipe that suggested the ratio of THC:CBD would be higher after 40 minutes of the second heating, as compared to longer heating times and more CBD conversion.

Then impatiently did a new trial as follows:
    10 minutes at 220f, 75 minutes at 285f. Much darker oil was achieved.

image.jpg
    This pic compares the darkness of the 2 at room temp and under refrigeration.

10. So experiment failed again. While caps were darker with higher heat, I believe they still needed to go longer as successful batches seem to be almost black tar -like. New trial is underway with constant 8 hours of baking at 220-250f. Or until black tarry heaven.

11. Finally success ! The ratio I used was 5g/75ml coconut oil. This would make each tablespoon of the infused coconut oil contain ~1g. Did 2hr bake at 240, froze 7 hours, then cooked for another 4.5 hours between 220-250f. Final product was a dank brown color, which might have been darker had I used less solvent. Next attempt will investigate the binding efficiency using lower quantities of coconut oil.